RE: [Pali] Untranslatable Pali words

  • Michael Olds
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 9, 2004
      Antony,

      Based on what do you state: "I believe that many Pali words are
      untranslatable"?

      [Face to face I am confident Antony would see this question as directed at
      him in a friendly manner, attempting to elicit both the straight information
      requested and also to set up the possibility of causing a reflection that
      might benefit him in both his translating and in his study of the Dhamma. I
      have less confidence in the written word, hense this apology.]

      Take Care;
      and may your life be long and happy!
      Michael Olds

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 2004
        Dear Anthony,
        op 09-12-2004 03:49 schreef Antony Woods op antony272b@...:

        > I believe that many Pali words are untranslatable: kamma, sati, sankhara,
        > anicca, dukkha, anatta, Buddha, Dhamma, Ariya-Sangha, Nibbana, papanca,
        > khandha, kilesa, hiri, ottappa, samvega, sila, samadhi, panna, viriya,
        > saddha, bhavana (mistranslated as meditation), metta, karuna, mudita,
        > upekkha (mistranslated as indifference - even equanimity is problematic),
        > vipassana, samatha, citta, punna (merit), tanha (craving), chanda (desire),
        > kusala, akusala, arahant, anagami, sotapanna

        N: We have to see the context. Words have different meanings and shades,
        depending under what aspect they are treated and under what heading (sisa).
        Take upekkha: it stands not only for indifferent feeling, but it can also
        represent tatramajhattataa, evenmindedness, or viriya, or paññaa.
        saññaa is hard: remembrance, also translated as perception. Sometimes it
        stands for insight; aniccaa saññaa. Or for citta, consciousness.
        Nina.
      • Alexander Genaud
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 10, 2004
          Many of the "untranslatable" Pali words (or Sanskrit
          derivatives) have found their way into every-day English
          usage. Kamma/Karma, for example, is probably used (and
          misused) as it may have been during the Buddha's time.

          http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Buddha
          http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=karma
          http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Dharma
          http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=nirvana
          http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=vipassana
          http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=nibbana
          http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Arhant
          http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=dukkha

          > I believe that many Pali words are untranslatable: kamma,
          sati, sankhara,
          > anicca, dukkha, anatta, Buddha, Dhamma, Ariya-Sangha, Nibbana,
          papanca,
          > khandha, kilesa, hiri, ottappa, samvega, sila, samadhi, panna,
          viriya,
          > saddha, bhavana (mistranslated as meditation), metta, karuna,
          mudita,
          > upekkha (mistranslated as indifference - even equanimity is
          problematic),
          > vipassana, samatha, citta, punna (merit), tanha (craving),
          chanda (desire),
          > kusala, akusala, arahant, anagami, sotapanna

          =====
          <ale></genaud.org>

          http://mail.yahoo.com