Re: [Pali] Stupid n00b pali question

  • rett
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 9, 2004

      >Pa~nha and pucchanti are both "question," so "questions questions",
      >while technically doable in English, doesn't seem quite right, and
      >it's not what is given for "ask" (yaacati).

      Hi, you've already gotten several good answers, but one last thing is
      that yaacati only means 'ask' in the sense of request, ask for
      something, or even beg for something. It wouldn't work AFAIK to say
      pa^nha.m yaacati. (unless maybe if you mean he asks for the
      opportunity to put a question, but I'm unsure there). You can use
      yaac to say things like hatthi.m yaacati 'he asks for an elephant',
      pabbaja.m yaacati, 'he asks for ordination'.

      best regards,

      /Rett
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 9, 2004
        Hi JB