Untranslatable Pali words

  • Antony Woods
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 2004
      Dear Group,

      I only know about 1,000 Pali words.

      I believe that many Pali words are untranslatable: kamma, sati, sankhara,
      anicca, dukkha, anatta, Buddha, Dhamma, Ariya-Sangha, Nibbana, papanca,
      khandha, kilesa, hiri, ottappa, samvega, sila, samadhi, panna, viriya,
      saddha, bhavana (mistranslated as meditation), metta, karuna, mudita,
      upekkha (mistranslated as indifference - even equanimity is problematic),
      vipassana, samatha, citta, punna (merit), tanha (craving), chanda (desire),
      kusala, akusala, arahant, anagami, sotapanna

      Would you add any more to this list?

      May you be well and happy,

      Antony.
    • Michael Olds
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 2004
        Antony,

        Based on what do you state: "I believe that many Pali words are
        untranslatable"?

        [Face to face I am confident Antony would see this question as directed at
        him in a friendly manner, attempting to elicit both the straight information
        requested and also to set up the possibility of causing a reflection that
        might benefit him in both his translating and in his study of the Dhamma. I
        have less confidence in the written word, hense this apology.]

        Take Care;
        and may your life be long and happy!
        Michael Olds

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 2004
          Dear Anthony,
          op 09-12-2004 03:49 schreef Antony Woods op antony272b@...:

          > I believe that many Pali words are untranslatable: kamma, sati, sankhara,
          > anicca, dukkha, anatta, Buddha, Dhamma, Ariya-Sangha, Nibbana, papanca,
          > khandha, kilesa, hiri, ottappa, samvega, sila, samadhi, panna, viriya,
          > saddha, bhavana (mistranslated as meditation), metta, karuna, mudita,
          > upekkha (mistranslated as indifference - even equanimity is problematic),
          > vipassana, samatha, citta, punna (merit), tanha (craving), chanda (desire),
          > kusala, akusala, arahant, anagami, sotapanna

          N: We have to see the context. Words have different meanings and shades,
          depending under what aspect they are treated and under what heading (sisa).
          Take upekkha: it stands not only for indifferent feeling, but it can also
          represent tatramajhattataa, evenmindedness, or viriya, or paññaa.
          saññaa is hard: remembrance, also translated as perception. Sometimes it
          stands for insight; aniccaa saññaa. Or for citta, consciousness.
          Nina.
        • Alexander Genaud
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 10, 2004
            Many of the "untranslatable" Pali words (or Sanskrit
            derivatives) have found their way into every-day English
            usage. Kamma/Karma, for example, is probably used (and
            misused) as it may have been during the Buddha's time.

            http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Buddha
            http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=karma
            http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Dharma
            http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=nirvana
            http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=vipassana
            http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=nibbana
            http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Arhant
            http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=dukkha

            > I believe that many Pali words are untranslatable: kamma,
            sati, sankhara,
            > anicca, dukkha, anatta, Buddha, Dhamma, Ariya-Sangha, Nibbana,
            papanca,
            > khandha, kilesa, hiri, ottappa, samvega, sila, samadhi, panna,
            viriya,
            > saddha, bhavana (mistranslated as meditation), metta, karuna,
            mudita,
            > upekkha (mistranslated as indifference - even equanimity is
            problematic),
            > vipassana, samatha, citta, punna (merit), tanha (craving),
            chanda (desire),
            > kusala, akusala, arahant, anagami, sotapanna

            =====
            <ale></genaud.org>

            http://mail.yahoo.com