Re: [Pali] Stupid n00b pali question

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 8, 2004
      JB,

      That's Pali idiom, and you have translated it in good modern English idiom.

      Otherwise, it simply translates

      The ministers ask(ed) the wise men questions.

      Piya

      J B Bell wrote:

      > Hi folks,
      >
      > I'm working through da Silva's Pali Primer, and have hit my first
      > snag. I'm without an answer key.
      >
      > So, is there an answer key out there? And, what about this sentence?:
      >
      > "Amaccaa pa.n.ditehi pa~nhe pucchanti."
      >
      > Pa~nha and pucchanti are both "question," so "questions questions",
      > while technically doable in English, doesn't seem quite right, and
      > it's not what is given for "ask" (yaacati). I did it as "The
      > ministers put questions to the wise men." Is that a reasonable read?
      >
      > --JB

    • rett
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 9, 2004

        >Pa~nha and pucchanti are both "question," so "questions questions",
        >while technically doable in English, doesn't seem quite right, and
        >it's not what is given for "ask" (yaacati).

        Hi, you've already gotten several good answers, but one last thing is
        that yaacati only means 'ask' in the sense of request, ask for
        something, or even beg for something. It wouldn't work AFAIK to say
        pa^nha.m yaacati. (unless maybe if you mean he asks for the
        opportunity to put a question, but I'm unsure there). You can use
        yaac to say things like hatthi.m yaacati 'he asks for an elephant',
        pabbaja.m yaacati, 'he asks for ordination'.

        best regards,

        /Rett
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 9, 2004
          Hi JB