More Pali - Every few days - [C191]

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2004
      More Pali - Every few days - [C191]
      Warder - Exercise 19 (page 145)
      Passages for Reading 2 (Part 12 of 19)

      atha kho Kuu.tadanto braahma.no mahataa
      braahma.na-ga.nena saddhi.m yena Ambala.t.thikaa yena
      bhagavaa ten’ upasa.mkami,
      then / indeed / Kutadanta / the Brahmin / with a great
      / Brahmin-group / with / towards / Ambalatthika /
      towards / the Blessed One / there / he approached
      Then the Brahmin Kutadanta with a large group of
      Brahmins went to Ambalatthika and approached the
      Blessed One,

      upasa.mkamitvaa bhagavataa saddhi.m sammodi
      sammodaniiya.m katha.m saaraa.niiya.m viitisaaretvaa
      ekamanta.m nisiidi.
      having approached / with the Blessed One / with /
      exchanged greetings / agreeable / speech / polite /
      having greeted / one side / he sat down
      then he greeted the Blessed One, exchanged agreeable
      and polite talk with him, then sat down at one side.

      ekamanta.m nisinno kho Kuu.tadanto braahma.no
      bhagavanta.m etad avoca:
      on one side / sitting / indeed / Kutadanta / the
      Brahmin / to the Blessed One / thus / spoke
      Sitting on one side, the Brahmin Kutadanta said this
      to the Blessed One:

      suta.m m’ eta.m bho Gotamo tividha-yañña-sampada.m
      jaanaatii ti.
      heard / by me / this / sir / Gotama /
      triple-sacrifice-success / he knows / (end-quote)
      “I have heard that master Gotama knows how to
      successfully conduct the triple sacrifice.

      na kho panaaha.m jaanaami tividha-yañña-sampada.m
      icchaami caaha.m mahaa-yañña.m yajitu.m.
      not / indeed / then I / I know /
      triple-sacrifice-success / I wish / and I /
      great-sacrifice / to sacrifice
      I don’t know how to successfully conduct the triple
      sacrifice, and I wish to make a great sacrifice.

      saadhu me bhava.m Gotamo tividha-yañña-sampada.m
      desetuu ti.
      good / to me / honourable / Gotama /
      triple-sacrifice-success / may he teach / (end-quote)
      It would be good if the honourable Gotama would teach
      the successful conduct of the triple sacrifice to me.”

      Metta, John