More Pali - Every few days - [C190]

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2004
      More Pali - Every few days - [C190]
      Warder - Exercise 19 (page 145)
      Passages for Reading 2 (Part 11 of 19)

      yam pi bho sama.no Gotamo Khaa.numata.m anuppatto
      Khaa.numate viharati Ambala.t.thikaaya.m atith’
      amhaaka.m sama.no Gotamo.
      which / and / sir / the wanderer / Gotama / Khanumata
      / arrived / in Khanumata / is living / at Ambalatthika
      / guest / our / the wanderer / Gotama
      And since, gentlemen, the wanderer Gotama has arrived
      in Khanumata and is living here at Ambalatthika, then
      he is our guest,

      atithi kho pan’ amhehi sakkaatabbo garukaatabbo
      maanetabbo puujetabbo.
      guest / indeed / then / by us / should be entertained
      / should be shown respect / should be revered / should
      be honoured
      and a guest should be entertained, shown respect,
      revered and honoured by us.

      iminaa p’ a”ngena na arahati so bhava.m Gotamo
      amhaaka.m dassanaaya upasa.mkamitu.m,
      by this / and / quality / not / it is fitting / the /
      honourable / Gotama / us / to see / to approach
      And thus it is not fitting that the honourable Gotama
      come to see us,

      atha kho mayam eva arahaama ta.m bhavanta.m Gotama.m
      dassanaaya upasa.mkamitun ti.
      Then / indeed / we / thus / are fitting / this /
      honourable / Gotama / to see / to approach /
      (end-quote)
      but rather it is fitting that we go to see the
      honourable Gotama.”

      Metta, John