Tipitakadharas of Myanmar

  • Jim Anderson
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 5, 2004
      [The following was originally posted to my Pali Study discussion group
      on Dec. 3. Nina and I thought it would be good to post it here to DSG
      as well as to the Pali discussion group. My apologies to those who
      have received more than one copy. --Jim]

      Dear members,

      I recently came across this webpage on Tipi.takadharas of Myanmar
      which I thought might be of interest to you:

      http://web.ukonline.co.uk/buddhism/tpdkdhra.htm

      A Tipi.takadhara is a title given to one who has the whole Tipi.taka
      memorized. According to this webpage it has only been given to 11
      bhikkhus in Myanmar from 1948 to 2001. In addition, there are other
      higher titles given to some of them, ie. Tipi.takakawida, Maha
      Tipi.takakawida, and Dhammabha.n.daagaarika.

      In 1982, I had the good fortune of meeting a young and brilliant
      Burmese bhikkhu (travelling in North America with the Sayadaw U
      Thilawunta) who had the whole Tipi.taka memorized except for the
      Yamaka and Pa.t.thaana which he still had to do. I'm not sure if he
      ever succeeded in getting the title of a Tipi.takadhara. His name is
      Ven. Ashin Thitzana which I don't see among the 11 but then he could
      be under a Pali name. He was supposed to have come back to Canada to
      teach me in particular starting about 1988 but it never came to pass
      as the conditions didn't seem right for it at the time and I called it
      off. We did have some letter exchanges and on the letterhead of his
      letters around 1986-7 is a list of his titles as follows:

      "dvipi.takadhara, dvipi.takakovida, saasanadhaja siriipavara
      dhammaacariya, paa.lipaaraguu"

      Best wishes,
      Jim Anderson
    • antony272b2
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 5, 2004
        Dear Jim,

        "Candidates are tested on the doctrinal understanding, comparative
        philosophy, textual discrimination, taxonomic grouping and analysis
        and
        on the interrelationships."

        "In undertaking the assignments, the Venerable Sayadaw did not just
        read
        through the texts with the committee but sought out the different
        versions, brought out the reference in the Commentaries and
        Sub-commentaries, explained the implications to the clear
        understanding
        of the committee members, sought a unanimous conclusion and wrote the
        report."
        http://www.aimwell.org/Books/Library/Suttas/Paritta/BioMingun/biomingu
        n.html

        Best wishes / Antony.