Re: [Pali] recognize these quotes?

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 4, 2004
      Rett,

      The second line is from a common closing benediction often chanted by Sinhalese
      monks:

      sabbiitiyo vivajjantu sabba,rogo vinassatu
      maa te bhavatv-antaraayo sukhii diighaayuko bhava...

      May all calamities be averted.
      May all sickness be destroyed.
      May no danger befall you, may you live long happily...

      This was probably a late Sinhalese composition.

      Sukhi

      Piya

      rett wrote:

      > Dear list members,
      >
      > Speaking of doing computer searches in the corpus of Pali texts, can
      > anyone trace:
      >
      > "maa majjhe bha`ngo ahosi" (mA majjhe bhaGgo ahosi) and/or "maa te
      > bhavant' antaraayaa" (mA te bhavantantarAyA) ?
      >
      > They ought to be in the tipi.taka somewhere, since both are cited by
      > Aggava.msa as examples of canonical, as opposed to commentarial,
      > usage. (sutta 890, suttamaalaa)
      >
      > I'm guessing the former is a way of requesting not to be interrupted... ???
      >
      > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > best regards,
      >
      > /Rett

    • Jim Anderson
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 4, 2004
        Hi Rett,

        I didn't recognize them but fortunately my computer did.

        "maa majjhe bha`ngo ahosi" occurs at Vin I 45, 51, 61; II 223, 228,
        231 Horner translates the one for Vin I 45 as: "Mind there be no
        crease in the middle." (of the robe) p.61.

        "maa te bhavant' antaraayaa" is "maa te bhavantvantaraayo" (bhavantv-
        = bhavantu) at Bv 20 (verse 179) but the Burmese reading
        has -antaraayaa. Horner translates this phrase as "may there be no
        stumbling-block for you" p.24 (verse 180).

        Best wishes,
        Jim

        > Dear list members,
        >
        > Speaking of doing computer searches in the corpus of Pali texts, can
        > anyone trace:
        >
        > "maa majjhe bha`ngo ahosi" (mA majjhe bhaGgo ahosi) and/or "maa te
        > bhavant' antaraayaa" (mA te bhavantantarAyA) ?
        >
        > They ought to be in the tipi.taka somewhere, since both are cited by
        > Aggava.msa as examples of canonical, as opposed to commentarial,
        > usage. (sutta 890, suttamaalaa)
        >
        > I'm guessing the former is a way of requesting not to be
        interrupted... ???

        > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > best regards,
        >
        > /Rett
      • rett
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 4, 2004
          You guys are amazing. Thank you Piya and Jim :-)
        • Gunnar Gällmo
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 5, 2004
            --- Piya Tan <libris@...> skrev:

            > The second line is from a common closing benediction
            > often chanted by Sinhalese
            > monks:
            >
            > sabbiitiyo vivajjantu sabba,rogo vinassatu
            > maa te bhavatv-antaraayo sukhii diighaayuko bhava...
            >
            > May all calamities be averted.
            > May all sickness be destroyed.
            > May no danger befall you, may you live long
            > happily...

            In "The Mirror of the Dhamma", and some other popular
            collections of devotional texts, this stanza is
            included in a poem called "Mahaa Jayama"ngala
            Gaathaa", which I have never heard recited in its
            entirety (18 stanzas; this one is nr 12, thus not the
            closing one); I have, however, heard all the different
            stanzas being recited separately.

            (I have never heard the monks reciting "diighaayukaa"
            instead of "diighaayuko" even when chanting for a
            woman...)

            Gunnar

            =====
            gunnargallmo@...
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 5, 2004
              Gunnar,

              Apparently, the -o ending, although technically masculine, is taking as a sort of
              "universal gender". Unless perhaps the chanting is specially chanted for a woman
              devotee (birthday, anniversary etc) as is often done in Thailand.

              Piya