recognize these quotes?

  • rett
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 4, 2004
      Dear list members,

      Speaking of doing computer searches in the corpus of Pali texts, can
      anyone trace:

      "maa majjhe bha`ngo ahosi" (mA majjhe bhaGgo ahosi) and/or "maa te
      bhavant' antaraayaa" (mA te bhavantantarAyA) ?

      They ought to be in the tipi.taka somewhere, since both are cited by
      Aggava.msa as examples of canonical, as opposed to commentarial,
      usage. (sutta 890, suttamaalaa)

      I'm guessing the former is a way of requesting not to be interrupted... ???

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      best regards,

      /Rett
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 4, 2004
        Rett,

        The second line is from a common closing benediction often chanted by Sinhalese
        monks:

        sabbiitiyo vivajjantu sabba,rogo vinassatu
        maa te bhavatv-antaraayo sukhii diighaayuko bhava...

        May all calamities be averted.
        May all sickness be destroyed.
        May no danger befall you, may you live long happily...

        This was probably a late Sinhalese composition.

        Sukhi

        Piya

        rett wrote:

        > Dear list members,
        >
        > Speaking of doing computer searches in the corpus of Pali texts, can
        > anyone trace:
        >
        > "maa majjhe bha`ngo ahosi" (mA majjhe bhaGgo ahosi) and/or "maa te
        > bhavant' antaraayaa" (mA te bhavantantarAyA) ?
        >
        > They ought to be in the tipi.taka somewhere, since both are cited by
        > Aggava.msa as examples of canonical, as opposed to commentarial,
        > usage. (sutta 890, suttamaalaa)
        >
        > I'm guessing the former is a way of requesting not to be interrupted... ???
        >
        > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > best regards,
        >
        > /Rett

      • Jim Anderson
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 4, 2004
          Hi Rett,

          I didn't recognize them but fortunately my computer did.

          "maa majjhe bha`ngo ahosi" occurs at Vin I 45, 51, 61; II 223, 228,
          231 Horner translates the one for Vin I 45 as: "Mind there be no
          crease in the middle." (of the robe) p.61.

          "maa te bhavant' antaraayaa" is "maa te bhavantvantaraayo" (bhavantv-
          = bhavantu) at Bv 20 (verse 179) but the Burmese reading
          has -antaraayaa. Horner translates this phrase as "may there be no
          stumbling-block for you" p.24 (verse 180).

          Best wishes,
          Jim

          > Dear list members,
          >
          > Speaking of doing computer searches in the corpus of Pali texts, can
          > anyone trace:
          >
          > "maa majjhe bha`ngo ahosi" (mA majjhe bhaGgo ahosi) and/or "maa te
          > bhavant' antaraayaa" (mA te bhavantantarAyA) ?
          >
          > They ought to be in the tipi.taka somewhere, since both are cited by
          > Aggava.msa as examples of canonical, as opposed to commentarial,
          > usage. (sutta 890, suttamaalaa)
          >
          > I'm guessing the former is a way of requesting not to be
          interrupted... ???

          > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > best regards,
          >
          > /Rett
        • rett
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 4, 2004
            You guys are amazing. Thank you Piya and Jim :-)
          • Gunnar Gällmo
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 5, 2004
              --- Piya Tan <libris@...> skrev:

              > The second line is from a common closing benediction
              > often chanted by Sinhalese
              > monks:
              >
              > sabbiitiyo vivajjantu sabba,rogo vinassatu
              > maa te bhavatv-antaraayo sukhii diighaayuko bhava...
              >
              > May all calamities be averted.
              > May all sickness be destroyed.
              > May no danger befall you, may you live long
              > happily...

              In "The Mirror of the Dhamma", and some other popular
              collections of devotional texts, this stanza is
              included in a poem called "Mahaa Jayama"ngala
              Gaathaa", which I have never heard recited in its
              entirety (18 stanzas; this one is nr 12, thus not the
              closing one); I have, however, heard all the different
              stanzas being recited separately.

              (I have never heard the monks reciting "diighaayukaa"
              instead of "diighaayuko" even when chanting for a
              woman...)

              Gunnar

              =====
              gunnargallmo@...
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 5, 2004
                Gunnar,

                Apparently, the -o ending, although technically masculine, is taking as a sort of
                "universal gender". Unless perhaps the chanting is specially chanted for a woman
                devotee (birthday, anniversary etc) as is often done in Thailand.

                Piya