More Pali - Every few days - [C187]

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2004
      More Pali - Every few days - [C187]
      Warder - Exercise 19 (page 145)
      Passages for Reading 2 (Part 8 of 19)

      eva.m kho me bho hoti: aham pi sama.na.m Gotama.m
      dassanaaya upasa.mkamissaamii ti.
      yes / indeed / for me / sirs / it is / I / too /
      wanderer / Gotama / to see / I will approach /
      (end-quote)
      �Yes, gentlemen, indeed it is so: I will go to see the
      wanderer Gotama.�

      maa bhava.m Kuu.tadanto sama.na.m Gotama.m dassanaaya
      upasa.mkami,
      do not / honourable / Kutadanta / wanderer / Gotama /
      to see / approach
      �May the honourable Kutadanta not go to see the
      wanderer Gotama,

      na arahati bhava.m Kuu.tadanto sama.na.m Gotama.m
      dassanaaya upasa.mkamitu.m.
      not / it is fitting / honourable / Kutadanta /
      wanderer / Gotama / to see / to approach
      it is not fitting that the honourable Kutadanta go to
      see the wanderer Gotama.

      sace bhava.m Kuu.tadanto sama.na.m Gotama.m dassanaaya
      upasa.mkamissati,
      if / honourable / Kutadanta / wanderer / Gotama / to
      see / he will approach
      If the honourable Kutadanta goes to see the wanderer
      Gotama,

      bhoto Kuu.tadantassa yaso haayissati, sama.nassa
      Gotamassa yaso abhiva.d.dhissati.
      of the honourable / Kutadanta / fame / will diminish /
      of the wanderer / Gotama / fame / approach
      then the honourable Kutadanta�s fame will diminish.
      and the wanderer Gotama�s fame will increase.

      Metta, John