Vipassanaa Meditation (was Re[2]: [Pali] Introduction)

  • Kumaara Bhikkhu
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 10, 2001
      At 08:11 PM 08-11-01, Dimitry Ivakhnenko (äÍÉÔÒÉÊ é×ÁÈÎÅÎËÏ) wrote:
      >Dear Bhante Kumaara,
      >
      >KB> I started of with a week-long Vipassana meditation retreat at
      >KB> Santisukharama (Kota Tinggi, Johor, Malaysia). It's of the Mahasi
      >KB> method, under the guidance of Ven. Sujiva (Malaysian), who's now
      >KB> mostly in European countries. That's how I really got into this
      >KB> Buddhist thing, by the way. Last year when I went to Burma, I
      >KB> found another method, thought by Shwe Oo Min Sayadaw, which seems
      >KB> to suit my temperament better. It almost identical to the Mahasi,
      >KB> except a few points:
      >KB> 1. It emphasizes more on the mind, rather than the body.
      >KB> 2. Labelling is discouraged.
      >KB> 3. No fixed reporting method, as required in Panditarama. Be free
      >KB> to covey your experience in the way that suits you. If the teacher
      >KB> needs to know more, he'll ask.
      >KB> 4. No super slow movement, as required in Chammyay. Move at a
      >KB> calm, natural speed.
      >
      >Is there any text with the description of this method? Looking for
      >works of Shwe Oo Min Sayadaw on the Internet, I found only his picture
      >at the Mahasi Sayadaw website in Burma.

      Unfortunately, I do not know of any.

      I did ask when I was there if there were anything of that sort. Usually, in Myanmar, written instructions comes from transcribed talks. The teacher in charge of foreigners himself (Sayadaw U Tezaniya) does not give any talks (although he would occasionally go in lengths to explain certain points during interviews). So, nothing written. Somehow, that's how the Sayadaws there prefer it.

      It's actually not too different from the Mahasi method. Besides the points mentioned above, there's little difference. (I forgot to include that they ask that you practice mindfulness as you speak, just as it is stated in the Satipa.t.thaana Sutta.)

      If you wish to know more, the best way is to go there. If you're willing to settle for less, you can ask me.

      >In fact Satipatthana sutta instructs rather to discern (jaanaati) 'I
      >am going', etc., than to label the action.

      There's no doubt about that.

      The Mahasi way recommends labelling only for those at the beginning of the retreat. It seems that it's a useful tool for many people to who have too restless a mind. The labelling helps them to anchor their minds on the meditation objects.

      In response to a question by an American (I think), Sayadaw U Pandita, who's the successor to Mahasi Sayadaw, says that when one reaches the fourth insight (udayabbaya ñaana), one should not continue labelling.

    • Hana Rubens
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 10, 2004
        Dear Friends,

        Greetings. I wish to introduce myself as a new subscriber to the Pali group. My name is Hana and I have been practicing meditation in various Buddhist traditions since 1983. In 1999 I took Upasika precepts and am currently considering taking Atta Sila Precepts. I relocated to the Chicago area in 2003 and as yet have not found a Temple to practice in. Currently I am teaching half time and doing some translation work (Chinese and Japanese languages.) I have had the opportunity to do some Sutta study in Mandarin and have been studying Pali by myself. I can read and chant from the romanized script.
        Most of my experience with the Sangha has been with Sri Lankan Bikkhus and here in Illinois there is more of a Thai community (and so I have been hesitant about where to go.) I hope to benefit from the teaching and resources available on this site and will contribute as I am able. Thank you for your kind greeting of welcome.

        Metta,
        Hana Rubens

      • nina van gorkom
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 11, 2004
          Dear Hana,
          welcome to this list.
          I hope you find the exercises we are doing here useful.
          Success with your study,
          Nina.

        • macdocaz1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 12, 2004
            Hello Hana, it is indeed a pleasure to be able to communicate with someone on
            Buddhism with as much background as you have. Since you say you haven't
            found a center in your area, you may like to know that I have been working on a
            database of North American Buddhist centers. I have posted a list of 85
            Buddhist centers in Illinois on a website I use for communicating to the Southwest
            sangha. The database is in PDF format and should be very easy to use. The file
            is called "IL Dharma Centers.pdf" and you will find it at this URL:

            I am presently working on exporting the database into a form that is usable
            by people, so if anyone would like a list of Buddhist centers in their region
            or city, just ask, and I will output it as soon as I can.

            Best regards,

            Jeff Brooks

            << Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 08:15:30 -0800 (PST)
            From: Hana Rubens <hanarubens@...>
            Subject: Introduction

[...]

          • Marj Cannon/Hugh Moore
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 28 9:15 PM
              Hi,

              I joined the group today after learning about it on the Access to Insight
              web site. I am especially interested in Vipassana meditation and in the
              Abhidhamma. I hope to eventually gain enough of a reading knowledge of Pali
              to be able to read some of the Abhidhamma texts - especially commentaries -
              that are in Roman script.

              Metta,
              -Hugh

              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 30 8:18 AM
                Hi Hugh,
                Welcome. I am also very interested in Abhidhamma and its commentaries. Let
                us share this interest,
                Nina.
                op 29-07-2005 06:15 schreef Marj Cannon/Hugh Moore op marj-hugh@...:

                > I joined the group today after learning about it on the Access to Insight
                > web site. I am especially interested in Vipassana meditation and in the
                > Abhidhamma. I hope to eventually gain enough of a reading knowledge of Pali
                > to be able to read some of the Abhidhamma texts - especially commentaries -
                > that are in Roman script.
              • junet9876
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 2, 2005
                  Hi!

                  I have the same interest! But I'm also very interested in the Suttas!

                  It'll probably take some time though. Pali is one of the most
                  difficult languages I've come across (and I've come across Thai,
                  Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, German--though I've forgotten them all).

                  But I think lots of reading is the key.

                  June

                  --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@x> wrote:
                  > Hi Hugh,
                  > Welcome. I am also very interested in Abhidhamma and its
                  commentaries. Let
                  > us share this interest,
                  > Nina.
                  > op 29-07-2005 06:15 schreef Marj Cannon/Hugh Moore op marj-hugh@c...:
                  >
                  > > I joined the group today after learning about it on the Access to
                  Insight
                  > > web site. I am especially interested in Vipassana meditation and
                  in the
                  > > Abhidhamma. I hope to eventually gain enough of a reading
                  knowledge of Pali
                  > > to be able to read some of the Abhidhamma texts - especially
                  commentaries -
                  > > that are in Roman script.
                • George Schneider at home
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 21, 2006
                    Hi,

                    I've just joined the group, and the moderator suggested I introduce myself. I'm George Schneider,
                    and I live in Sierra Vista, Arizona, USA. I've been studying Buddhism for about 10 years. I've
                    found a wonderful meditation teacher who uses Pali terms, so I'd like to learn Pali.

                    Thank you all for creating this group.

                    George

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • anicchavatsankharo
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 8, 2007
                      Dear Sir, I am gauri shanker sharma from Lucknow, India. I am in love
                      with Pali and Tipitaka. Kindly do share your Pali knowledge with me.
                      I do not know much Pali. I would do my best to learn it. With metta
                      and regards. Yours faithfully, g.s. sharma
                    • josesiem
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 23, 2008
                        Hi all,
                        I just joined the group. I'm living in Seoul, Korea now teaching
                        English. I want to start learning Pali. My interest in Pali stems from
                        my interest and practice of Buddhism. I plan on ordering a couple of
                        books and to start studying.

                        I'd like to take a Pali course. Anyone know of any this summer? I've
                        been scouring the internet, but I haven't found anything yet.

                        Thanks.
                        Joseph
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 26, 2008
                          Hello Joseph. Welcome to the group. It is nice to hear from someone in
                          Korea. Generally, in East Asia, most Buddhists practise Mahayana
                          Buddhism. However, there are still some locals and foreigners
                          practising Theravada Buddhism. There is also monastic and academic
                          interest in Pali Tipitaka and literature, for a whole list of reasons. ;-)

                          I can't read Hangul, which makes it hard to help you. But, you can try
                          this site to start with: http://www.ripl.or.kr/

                          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, josesiem wrote:

                          I just joined the group. I'm living in Seoul, Korea now teaching
                          English. I want to start learning Pali. My interest in Pali stems from
                          my interest and practice of Buddhism. I plan on ordering a couple of
                          books and to start studying.

                          I'd like to take a Pali course. Anyone know of any this summer? I've
                          been scouring the internet, but I haven't found anything yet.
                        • lucdelannoy
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 10, 2009
                            Hello,
                            My name is Luc; I am new here. I am a writer and philospher from Brussels, Belgium; currently live and teach in Mexico. My interests are human perception, the Abhidhamma and commentaries (in particular the 7th book, Patthana) Glad to be around and hope to learn from you all.
                            Luc
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 11, 2009
                              Dear Luc,
                              welcome here. I do not know whether you have visited the homepage.Put
                              cursor on the left side of the green bar on top, and here is all the
                              info, grammars, exercises.
                              Yong Peng posts Buddhadatta exercises here and if there is anything
                              as to grammar, do ask.
                              Questions are useful both for the person who asks and the person who
                              answers.
                              Patthaana means a lot for me, to be applied in our daily life.
                              What do you teach?
                              Nina.
                              Op 11-okt-2009, om 3:38 heeft lucdelannoy het volgende geschreven:

                              > My name is Luc; I am new here. I am a writer and philospher from
                              > Brussels, Belgium; currently live and teach in Mexico. My interests
                              > are human perception, the Abhidhamma and commentaries (in
                              > particular the 7th book, Patthana) Glad to be around and hope to
                              > learn from you all.

                            • Luc Delannoy
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 21, 2009
                                Nina

                                Thanks for writing. I teach philosophy and neuroaesthetics. I'm glad I found this group !
                                Be well

                                Luc

                                www.lucdelannoy.com

                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 22, 2009
                                  Dear Luc,
                                  I do not know whether you may find helpful the intro to the Patthaana
                                  I wrote. It is online in <http://www.abhidhamma.org/Patthana%201.htm
                                  > and Zolag, <http://www.zolag.co.uk/ > . It will be printed end of
                                  the year and if you are interested I like to send it as a free book.
                                  Just give your postal address off line.
                                  Nina.
                                  Op 21-okt-2009, om 17:05 heeft Luc Delannoy het volgende geschreven: