Re: Exercise 10-A: Translate into English

  • Dhammanando Bhikkhu
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 26, 2004
      Hi Yong Peng,

      > 9. Mayha.m saamino jananii bhikkhuniinañ* ca upaasikaanañ ca
      > sa'nga.nhi.
      > my / husband's / mother / nuns and / female devotees and /
      > treated
      > My husband's mother served the nuns and female devotees.

      I noticed a fault in the original passage: the object of
      sa'nga.nhaati should be accusative, not dative. E.g.

      Katha.m pana tva.m, Hatthaka, ima.m mahati.m parisa.m
      sa`nga.nhaasi?
      "How then, Hatthaka, do you hold this great assembly
      together?"
      (A iv 216-7 Hatthaka Sutta)

      (to 'collect', 'comprise', 'gather together' are other meanings
      of sa'nga.nhaati)

      Best wishes,

      Dhammanando
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 27, 2004
        Dear Ven. Dhammanando and friends,

        Bhante, thanks for pointing that out. Can we insert a word somewhere
        to keep bhikkhunii and upaasikaa in dative?

        metta,
        Yong Peng

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 31, 2004

          > Bhante, thanks for pointing that out. Can we insert a word somewhere
          > to keep bhikkhunii and upaasikaa in dative?

          I don't see any way that could be done. But what one could
          do is to take bhikkhuniina.m and upaasikaana.m as being
          genitive and then insert phaasu.m (sg. acc. of phaasu,
          'comfort' - masc.). Thus:

          Mayha.m saamino jananii bhikkhuniinañca upaasikaanañca
          phaasu.m sa'nga.nhi.

          My husband's mother attended to the comfort of the
          nuns and female devotees.

          Best wishes,

          Dhammanando
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 31, 2004
            Dear Ven. Dhammanando and friends,

            Bhante: thanks again. I shall put that in. I have another question.
            Is it more common to write 'bhikkhuniinañca' or "bhikkhuniinañ ca"?
            Thank you.

            metta,
            Yong Peng

            --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Dhammanando Bhikkhu wrote:
            > Bhante, thanks for pointing that out. Can we insert a word somewhere
            > to keep bhikkhunii and upaasikaa in dative?

            I don't see any way that could be done. But what one could do is to
            take bhikkhuniina.m and upaasikaana.m as being genitive and then
            insert phaasu.m (sg. acc. of phaasu, 'comfort' - masc.). Thus:

            Mayha.m saamino jananii bhikkhuniinañca upaasikaanañca phaasu.m

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 31, 2004

              > Bhante: thanks again. I shall put that in. I have another question.
              > Is it more common to write 'bhikkhuniinañca' or "bhikkhuniinañ ca"?

              In my PTS texts (mostly very old editions) ca is printed
              separately from the preceding word, even when sandhi causes
              that word's final niggahiita to be modified. I don't know if
              this convention is still current in the PTS. On the other
              hand, in the Thai Tipi.taka ca is always joined to the
              modified niggahiita.

              I suppose it might be better to keep them separate for the
              ease of those who have not yet studied sandhi.

              Best wishes,

              Dhammanando
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 1, 2004
                Dear Ven. Dhammanando and friends,