Re: [Pali] dhammapada translations

  • Peter Masefield
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2001
      The most accurate and lingusitically correct translation of the Dhammapada to date
      must surely be that of K R Norman, The Word of the Doctrine, Pali Text Society, 1997,
      which also has copious notes.

      Peter Masefield.
    • Miroslav Rozehnal
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 7, 2001
        At 01:44 PM 2001/11/7 -0800, John Kelly wrote
        >Dear Pali friends,
        >I'm looking for a good English translation of the
        >Dhammapada. There seem to be lots available, but can
        >anyone recommend one in particular that they like?

        Hello,
        members might be interested in my translation (with vocabulary and
        grammatical explanation) at:
        http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/PALI/reading.htm

        Also don't miss the general page with plenty of information (including
        comprehensive bibliography and fulltext of many articles) at:
        http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/e-CBS.htm

        Regards, Miroslav Rozehnal
      • Kumaara Bhikkhu
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 7, 2001
          Everybody seem to have their own view as to which translation is better.

          Being still at an elementary level in Pali, I can't speak in terms of accuracy, but I kind of like Acariya Buddharakkhita's translation, which is available at ATI.

          peace

          Ven Kumaara

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 7, 2001
            Dear John,

            I like the one by Ven. Acharya Buddharakkhita, the reason is the
            language he used is simple and present the essence of the teaching in
            an impressive manner.

            I also love those that have a story attached to the verses. Such
            editions serve as good educational materials in addition to be a
            sourcebook for dhamma quotes. One of them is <The Dhammapada, Verses
            and Story> translated by Daw Mya Tin and published by Sri Satguru
            Publications (India), another is <Illustrated Dhammapada, Treasury of
            Truth> by Ven. Weragoda Sarada Maha Thero from Buddhist Meditation
            Centre (Singapore). The Illustrated Dhammapada is a classic, every
            verse is in Pali and English, the English translation comes in two
            forms - verse and prose, the story is included as well as a
            commentary on each verse, there is also a full-page full-colour
            specially commissioned picture accompanying every verse. The entire
            work is more than 900 pages with a subject index and an index to the
            first line of pali verses. Although it costs more, it is very
            readable with the illustrations, stories, commentaries and
            explanatory notes. It is so popular that it is also available in
            Chinese now.

            One side note: although I have not made a thorough check, I think
            there are more English versions (ie. different translations) of the
            Dhammapada than the Bible.

          • Ong Teng Kee
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 9, 2001
              Hi,
              The only one with as many pali readings as possible is PTS edtion by Norman
              and Hinuber with Thai Lanna readings but still lacking Cambodia and laos
              readings. They did it with many notes about meter etc.

              >From: Kumaara Bhikkhu <venkumara@...>
              >To: Pali@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [Pali] dhammapada translations
              >Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 14:20:31 +0800
              >
              >Everybody seem to have their own view as to which translation is better.
              >
              >Being still at an elementary level in Pali, I can't speak in terms of
              >accuracy, but I kind of like Acariya Buddharakkhita's translation, which is
              >available at ATI.
              >
              >peace
              >
              >Ven Kumaara

            • John Kelly
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 12, 2001
                Thank you to all the kind people on these lists that
                sent me responses to my request for recommendations on
                dhammapada translations. They have been most helpful.

                Metta,
                John

                Find a job, post your resume.
                http://careers.yahoo.com