Re: Unicode (fonts)

  • Derek
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 10, 2004
      Hi, Alex,

      > I am interested in feedback from other users. I've also
      > come up with a simple javascript that replaces pali in
      > the velthuis format (.d .t 'n aa, etc) with NCR
      > (& #7693, etc):
      >
      > http://alex.voodooglobe.com/alex/04a/palijavascript.html

      I think your Javascript idea, combined with Dimitry's long font
      family list, is a great idea! Look at the advantages of it:

      - page displays correctly for 70% of visitors *without* them making
      any special adjustments

      - page will display correctly for close to 100% of visitors
      providing the remaining 30% are willing to download at least one of
      the special fonts

      - page is easy to type (Velthuis-style) for the creator, requiring
      no special editing software or long strings of character codes

      I don't want to go back and redo my own page, but if anyone is using
      your method to put large quantities of Pali on the internet, I have
      two suggestions for improvement:

      - the Javascript should reside on the webpage creator's host, not
      yours. Would you be willing to make your script freely available to
      the public for them to store on their own server?

      - it would be helpful for newcomers to Pali on the internet if
      anyone creating a site using this method included links to where the
      30% who don't have Arial Unicode MS or a modern version of Tahoma
      can get one of the special fonts for their platform

      Derek.
    • alexgenaud
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 20, 2005
        Derek,

        Almost a year ago, you posted a comment:

        Which I had only just accidently noticed. You had asked:

        > Would you be willing to make
        > your script freely available to
        > the public for them to store on
        > their own server?

        Absolutely. Consider any scripts mentioned by me,
        on this list, for which I can claim responsibility,
        to be in the public domain.

        Alex