Re: [Pali] dhammapada translations

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2001
      John,

      An authoritative translation is "The Dhammapada", translated with verse,
      Commentary and notes by J.R. Carter and M. Palihawadana, Oxford Univ Press, 1987.
      What I like about it is that there are useful notes. I think it has the Pali text
      also (sorry I lost my copy, someone has not returned it to me!) which helps one to
      "polish" the translation if one has some understanding of Pali and Dharma.

      Sukhi.

      Piya.

      John Kelly wrote:

      > Dear Pali friends,
      > I'm looking for a good English translation of the
      > Dhammapada. There seem to be lots available, but can
      > anyone recommend one in particular that they like?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > John

      > Find a job, post your resume.
      > http://careers.yahoo.com

    • Peter Masefield
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 7, 2001
        The most accurate and lingusitically correct translation of the Dhammapada to date
        must surely be that of K R Norman, The Word of the Doctrine, Pali Text Society, 1997,
        which also has copious notes.

        Peter Masefield.
      • Miroslav Rozehnal
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 7, 2001
          At 01:44 PM 2001/11/7 -0800, John Kelly wrote
          >Dear Pali friends,
          >I'm looking for a good English translation of the
          >Dhammapada. There seem to be lots available, but can
          >anyone recommend one in particular that they like?

          Hello,
          members might be interested in my translation (with vocabulary and
          grammatical explanation) at:
          http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/PALI/reading.htm

          Also don't miss the general page with plenty of information (including
          comprehensive bibliography and fulltext of many articles) at:
          http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/e-CBS.htm

          Regards, Miroslav Rozehnal
        • Kumaara Bhikkhu
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 7, 2001
            Everybody seem to have their own view as to which translation is better.

            Being still at an elementary level in Pali, I can't speak in terms of accuracy, but I kind of like Acariya Buddharakkhita's translation, which is available at ATI.

            peace

            Ven Kumaara

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 7, 2001
              Dear John,

              I like the one by Ven. Acharya Buddharakkhita, the reason is the
              language he used is simple and present the essence of the teaching in
              an impressive manner.

              I also love those that have a story attached to the verses. Such
              editions serve as good educational materials in addition to be a
              sourcebook for dhamma quotes. One of them is <The Dhammapada, Verses
              and Story> translated by Daw Mya Tin and published by Sri Satguru
              Publications (India), another is <Illustrated Dhammapada, Treasury of
              Truth> by Ven. Weragoda Sarada Maha Thero from Buddhist Meditation
              Centre (Singapore). The Illustrated Dhammapada is a classic, every
              verse is in Pali and English, the English translation comes in two
              forms - verse and prose, the story is included as well as a
              commentary on each verse, there is also a full-page full-colour
              specially commissioned picture accompanying every verse. The entire
              work is more than 900 pages with a subject index and an index to the
              first line of pali verses. Although it costs more, it is very
              readable with the illustrations, stories, commentaries and
              explanatory notes. It is so popular that it is also available in
              Chinese now.

              One side note: although I have not made a thorough check, I think
              there are more English versions (ie. different translations) of the
              Dhammapada than the Bible.

            • Ong Teng Kee
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 9, 2001
                Hi,
                The only one with as many pali readings as possible is PTS edtion by Norman
                and Hinuber with Thai Lanna readings but still lacking Cambodia and laos
                readings. They did it with many notes about meter etc.

                >From: Kumaara Bhikkhu <venkumara@...>
                >To: Pali@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [Pali] dhammapada translations
                >Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 14:20:31 +0800
                >
                >Everybody seem to have their own view as to which translation is better.
                >
                >Being still at an elementary level in Pali, I can't speak in terms of
                >accuracy, but I kind of like Acariya Buddharakkhita's translation, which is
                >available at ATI.
                >
                >peace
                >
                >Ven Kumaara

              • John Kelly
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 12, 2001
                  Thank you to all the kind people on these lists that
                  sent me responses to my request for recommendations on
                  dhammapada translations. They have been most helpful.

                  Metta,
                  John

                  Find a job, post your resume.
                  http://careers.yahoo.com