Re: Pali Day by Day 10/01/2004 [D065]

    Message 1 of 1247 , Oct 7, 2004
      Dear Ven. Kumaara, Piya, Rett and friends,

      Bhante,

      thanks for the additional inputs.

      I have looked up 'sa'nga.nhaati' again on PED, and realised that the
      gerund has a second form: sa'ngahetvaa.

      I agree it would be good to render the sentences in idiomatic
      English, but feel that it may be too big a mouthful for a beginner's
      exercise. Nevertheless, there is no problem to add alternative
      answers to the standard ones, and I will put them on the web at the
      completion of the chapter.

      metta,
      Yong Peng

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Kumaara Bhikkhu wrote:
      >> 1. Muni narapati.m Dhammena sa'nga.nhitvaa agami.
      >> sage / to king / with Dhamma / having treated / went
      >> The sage went to the king, having treated with Dhamma.

      KB> I wonder if we could render it as "captivated" (as
      in "delighted") considering the root word. Besides that, perhaps the
      sentence should be like this:
      The sage captivated the king with the Dhamma and went away.

      KB> Yong Peng, it would be good to try render the translation in
      proper idiomatic English.
    • Dhivan Thomas Jones
      Message 1247 of 1247 , Jul 4, 2011
        Hello Jayarava and friends,