dhammapada translations

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2001
      Dear Pali friends,
      I'm looking for a good English translation of the
      Dhammapada. There seem to be lots available, but can
      anyone recommend one in particular that they like?

      Thanks,
      John

      Find a job, post your resume.
      http://careers.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 7, 2001
        John,

        An authoritative translation is "The Dhammapada", translated with verse,
        Commentary and notes by J.R. Carter and M. Palihawadana, Oxford Univ Press, 1987.
        What I like about it is that there are useful notes. I think it has the Pali text
        also (sorry I lost my copy, someone has not returned it to me!) which helps one to
        "polish" the translation if one has some understanding of Pali and Dharma.

        Sukhi.

        Piya.

        John Kelly wrote:

        > Dear Pali friends,
        > I'm looking for a good English translation of the
        > Dhammapada. There seem to be lots available, but can
        > anyone recommend one in particular that they like?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > John

        > Find a job, post your resume.
        > http://careers.yahoo.com

      • Peter Masefield
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 7, 2001
          The most accurate and lingusitically correct translation of the Dhammapada to date
          must surely be that of K R Norman, The Word of the Doctrine, Pali Text Society, 1997,
          which also has copious notes.

          Peter Masefield.
        • Miroslav Rozehnal
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 7, 2001
            At 01:44 PM 2001/11/7 -0800, John Kelly wrote
            >Dear Pali friends,
            >I'm looking for a good English translation of the
            >Dhammapada. There seem to be lots available, but can
            >anyone recommend one in particular that they like?

            Hello,
            members might be interested in my translation (with vocabulary and
            grammatical explanation) at:
            http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/PALI/reading.htm

            Also don't miss the general page with plenty of information (including
            comprehensive bibliography and fulltext of many articles) at:
            http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/e-CBS.htm

            Regards, Miroslav Rozehnal
          • Kumaara Bhikkhu
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 7, 2001
              Everybody seem to have their own view as to which translation is better.

              Being still at an elementary level in Pali, I can't speak in terms of accuracy, but I kind of like Acariya Buddharakkhita's translation, which is available at ATI.

              peace

              Ven Kumaara

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 7, 2001
                Dear John,

                I like the one by Ven. Acharya Buddharakkhita, the reason is the
                language he used is simple and present the essence of the teaching in
                an impressive manner.

                I also love those that have a story attached to the verses. Such
                editions serve as good educational materials in addition to be a
                sourcebook for dhamma quotes. One of them is <The Dhammapada, Verses
                and Story> translated by Daw Mya Tin and published by Sri Satguru
                Publications (India), another is <Illustrated Dhammapada, Treasury of
                Truth> by Ven. Weragoda Sarada Maha Thero from Buddhist Meditation
                Centre (Singapore). The Illustrated Dhammapada is a classic, every
                verse is in Pali and English, the English translation comes in two
                forms - verse and prose, the story is included as well as a
                commentary on each verse, there is also a full-page full-colour
                specially commissioned picture accompanying every verse. The entire
                work is more than 900 pages with a subject index and an index to the
                first line of pali verses. Although it costs more, it is very
                readable with the illustrations, stories, commentaries and
                explanatory notes. It is so popular that it is also available in
                Chinese now.

                One side note: although I have not made a thorough check, I think
                there are more English versions (ie. different translations) of the
                Dhammapada than the Bible.

              • Ong Teng Kee
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 9, 2001
                  Hi,
                  The only one with as many pali readings as possible is PTS edtion by Norman
                  and Hinuber with Thai Lanna readings but still lacking Cambodia and laos
                  readings. They did it with many notes about meter etc.

                  >From: Kumaara Bhikkhu <venkumara@...>
                  >To: Pali@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: Re: [Pali] dhammapada translations
                  >Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 14:20:31 +0800
                  >
                  >Everybody seem to have their own view as to which translation is better.
                  >
                  >Being still at an elementary level in Pali, I can't speak in terms of
                  >accuracy, but I kind of like Acariya Buddharakkhita's translation, which is
                  >available at ATI.
                  >
                  >peace
                  >
                  >Ven Kumaara

                • John Kelly
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 12, 2001
                    Thank you to all the kind people on these lists that
                    sent me responses to my request for recommendations on
                    dhammapada translations. They have been most helpful.

                    Metta,
                    John

                    Find a job, post your resume.
                    http://careers.yahoo.com