Re: Unicode (fonts)

  • Derek
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2004
      Hi, Alex,

      > May I suggest: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

      That's interesting, but the whole point of my approach on my webpage
      is that I want it to be accessible to as many people as possible
      *without* asking them to download special fonts, let alone asking
      them to download a new browser.

      > Please view this (updated) link and test to see that the pali
      > diacritics display correctly. Please tell me (in private email
      > if you prefer) what browser and platform (Linux, Windows, Mac)
      > you are using. The ~n and ~N do not seem to be displaying
      > correctly; I'll look into that.

      > http://alex.voodooglobe.com/alex/043/29/paliunicode.html

      It still doesn't work for me.

      The characters in the ranges Basic Latin (0–127), Latin-1 Supplement
      (128–255), and Latin Extended A (256–383) are okay. But the
      characters in Latin Extended Additional (7680–7935) still come out
      as squares (i.e. missing glyph).

      The page displays in Times New Roman, which is unicode-compliant in
      the lower ranges, but does not include glyphs for all the characters
      in the Latin Extended Additional character range.

      I used Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6, which is probably a
      pretty common combination nowadays.

      Also, when I follow the link marked "Assuming you have a collection
      of fonts, you can try this test" I get an error message: "Forbidden
      You don't have permission to access /alex/043/29/ on this server."

      Derek.
    • Derek
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2004
        Hi, Alex,

        Oops -- just hit refresh and it now works okay. It looks like it
        might be displaying in TITUS Cyberbit Basic for me. But the "test"
        link still doesn't work.

        Derek.
      • alexgenaud
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 6, 2004
          Dimitry, Derek, and I have been discussing pali Unicode
          fonts and maximum user visibility on the web. This might
          serve as a recommendation for encoding pali diacritics
          in a web page:

          http://alex.voodooglobe.com/alex/04a/paliunicode.html

          I am interested in feedback from other users. I've also
          come up with a simple javascript that replaces pali in
          the velthuis format (.d .t 'n aa, etc) with NCR
          (& #7693, etc):

          http://alex.voodooglobe.com/alex/04a/palijavascript.html
        • Bhikkhu Pesala
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 8, 2004
            Alex, your page is very clear and well laid out. It works perfectly in
            Opera 7.54 even when zoomed in by 200%.

            May I suggest adding at least a couple of characters?

            S acute Ś (346) and s acute ś (347).

            I'm sure there are many more too, but these are commonly used.
            Rather less common are r dot below and r dot macron.
          • Dimitry A. Ivakhnenko (Äìèòðèé À
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 9, 2004
              Hi Alex,

              Your Pali JavaScript is very useful.

              There's an excellent comprehensive resource on Unicode:
              http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/
              with interesting method:

              ...you can use styles to specify preferred fonts (and alternatives)
              for sections of text in a particular language, by defining a class
              in a style sheet like this in the <head> of your file:

              .pali {font-family: CN-Times, VU Times, Thryomanes, sanvijjo,
              Code2000, Gentium, TITUS Cyberbit Basic, Arial Unicode MS, Tahoma;}

              You can then apply the style to any HTML tag in the <body>, and also
              specify a language for a section of text:

              Latin text followed by <span class="pali" lang="pli">Pali
              text</span> and more Latin text.

              Unfirtunately this Alan Wood's resource doesn't yet mention Pali
              fonts, which cover Latin Extended Additional range:

              http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/fontsbyrange.html#u1e00

              Latin Extended Additional U+1E00 – U+1EFF (7680–7935)

              Windows: Aboriginal Sans, Aboriginal Serif, ALPHABETUM Unicode,
              Arabic Typesetting, Arial, Arial Unicode MS, Berling Antiqua,
              Bitstream CyberBase, Bitstream CyberBit, Cardo, Caslon, Chrysanthi
              Unicode, CN-Arial, CN-Times, Code2000, Courier New, Doulos SIL,
              Everson Mono Unicode, Fixedsys Excelsior, Free Monospaced, Free
              Serif, Frutiger Linotype, Gandhari Unicode, Gentium, GentiumAlt,
              Hindsight Unicode, jGaramond, Khmer OS, Kurdish AllAlphabets,
              Legendum, Linux Libertine, MD King KhammuRabi, MgOldTimes UC Pol,
              Microsoft Sans Serif, Monospace, MS Reference Sans Serif, MS
              Reference Serif, Naqsh, New Athena Unicode (few), Palatino Linotype,
              Sanskrit 2003, SImPL, Tahoma, Thryomanes, Tibetan Machine Uni, Times
              New Roman, TITUS Cyberbit Basic, UVN Gia Dinh, UVN Giay Trang,
              Vusillus Old Face

              Macintosh OS 9: Tahoma

              Macintosh OS X: Arial, Gentium, GentiumAlt, Lucida Grande, MS
              Gothic, MS Mincho, MS PGothic, MS PMincho, Times New Roman, Verdana

              Unix: Caslon

              Best wishes,
              Dimitry
            • Derek
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 10, 2004
                Hi, Alex,

                > I am interested in feedback from other users. I've also
                > come up with a simple javascript that replaces pali in
                > the velthuis format (.d .t 'n aa, etc) with NCR
                > (& #7693, etc):
                >
                > http://alex.voodooglobe.com/alex/04a/palijavascript.html

                I think your Javascript idea, combined with Dimitry's long font
                family list, is a great idea! Look at the advantages of it:

                - page displays correctly for 70% of visitors *without* them making
                any special adjustments

                - page will display correctly for close to 100% of visitors
                providing the remaining 30% are willing to download at least one of
                the special fonts

                - page is easy to type (Velthuis-style) for the creator, requiring
                no special editing software or long strings of character codes

                I don't want to go back and redo my own page, but if anyone is using
                your method to put large quantities of Pali on the internet, I have
                two suggestions for improvement:

                - the Javascript should reside on the webpage creator's host, not
                yours. Would you be willing to make your script freely available to
                the public for them to store on their own server?

                - it would be helpful for newcomers to Pali on the internet if
                anyone creating a site using this method included links to where the
                30% who don't have Arial Unicode MS or a modern version of Tahoma
                can get one of the special fonts for their platform

                Derek.
              • alexgenaud
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 20, 2005
                  Derek,

                  Almost a year ago, you posted a comment:

                  Which I had only just accidently noticed. You had asked:

                  > Would you be willing to make
                  > your script freely available to
                  > the public for them to store on
                  > their own server?

                  Absolutely. Consider any scripts mentioned by me,
                  on this list, for which I can claim responsibility,
                  to be in the public domain.

                  Alex