Re: [Pali] Re: Unicode (fonts)

  • Dimitry A. Ivakhnenko (������� ��������
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 30, 2004
      Hi Alex,

      AG> http://alex.voodooglobe.com/tmp/DimitryPaliEx.png

      AG> The ~n and ~N do not seem to be displaying
      AG> correctly; I'll look into that.

      It seems that you have written & instead of simply & in the code.

      Best wishes,
      Dimitry
    • Derek
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2004
        Hi, Alex,

        > May I suggest: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

        That's interesting, but the whole point of my approach on my webpage
        is that I want it to be accessible to as many people as possible
        *without* asking them to download special fonts, let alone asking
        them to download a new browser.

        > Please view this (updated) link and test to see that the pali
        > diacritics display correctly. Please tell me (in private email
        > if you prefer) what browser and platform (Linux, Windows, Mac)
        > you are using. The ~n and ~N do not seem to be displaying
        > correctly; I'll look into that.

        > http://alex.voodooglobe.com/alex/043/29/paliunicode.html

        It still doesn't work for me.

        The characters in the ranges Basic Latin (0–127), Latin-1 Supplement
        (128–255), and Latin Extended A (256–383) are okay. But the
        characters in Latin Extended Additional (7680–7935) still come out
        as squares (i.e. missing glyph).

        The page displays in Times New Roman, which is unicode-compliant in
        the lower ranges, but does not include glyphs for all the characters
        in the Latin Extended Additional character range.

        I used Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6, which is probably a
        pretty common combination nowadays.

        Also, when I follow the link marked "Assuming you have a collection
        of fonts, you can try this test" I get an error message: "Forbidden
        You don't have permission to access /alex/043/29/ on this server."

        Derek.
      • Derek
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2004
          Hi, Alex,

          Oops -- just hit refresh and it now works okay. It looks like it
          might be displaying in TITUS Cyberbit Basic for me. But the "test"
          link still doesn't work.

          Derek.
        • alexgenaud
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 6, 2004
            Dimitry, Derek, and I have been discussing pali Unicode
            fonts and maximum user visibility on the web. This might
            serve as a recommendation for encoding pali diacritics
            in a web page:

            http://alex.voodooglobe.com/alex/04a/paliunicode.html

            I am interested in feedback from other users. I've also
            come up with a simple javascript that replaces pali in
            the velthuis format (.d .t 'n aa, etc) with NCR
            (& #7693, etc):

            http://alex.voodooglobe.com/alex/04a/palijavascript.html
          • Bhikkhu Pesala
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 8, 2004
              Alex, your page is very clear and well laid out. It works perfectly in
              Opera 7.54 even when zoomed in by 200%.

              May I suggest adding at least a couple of characters?

              S acute Ś (346) and s acute ś (347).

              I'm sure there are many more too, but these are commonly used.
              Rather less common are r dot below and r dot macron.
            • Dimitry A. Ivakhnenko (Äìèòðèé À
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 9, 2004
                Hi Alex,

                Your Pali JavaScript is very useful.

                There's an excellent comprehensive resource on Unicode:
                http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/
                with interesting method:

                ...you can use styles to specify preferred fonts (and alternatives)
                for sections of text in a particular language, by defining a class
                in a style sheet like this in the <head> of your file:

                .pali {font-family: CN-Times, VU Times, Thryomanes, sanvijjo,
                Code2000, Gentium, TITUS Cyberbit Basic, Arial Unicode MS, Tahoma;}

                You can then apply the style to any HTML tag in the <body>, and also
                specify a language for a section of text:

                Latin text followed by <span class="pali" lang="pli">Pali
                text</span> and more Latin text.

                Unfirtunately this Alan Wood's resource doesn't yet mention Pali
                fonts, which cover Latin Extended Additional range:

                http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/fontsbyrange.html#u1e00

                Latin Extended Additional U+1E00 – U+1EFF (7680–7935)

                Windows: Aboriginal Sans, Aboriginal Serif, ALPHABETUM Unicode,
                Arabic Typesetting, Arial, Arial Unicode MS, Berling Antiqua,
                Bitstream CyberBase, Bitstream CyberBit, Cardo, Caslon, Chrysanthi
                Unicode, CN-Arial, CN-Times, Code2000, Courier New, Doulos SIL,
                Everson Mono Unicode, Fixedsys Excelsior, Free Monospaced, Free
                Serif, Frutiger Linotype, Gandhari Unicode, Gentium, GentiumAlt,
                Hindsight Unicode, jGaramond, Khmer OS, Kurdish AllAlphabets,
                Legendum, Linux Libertine, MD King KhammuRabi, MgOldTimes UC Pol,
                Microsoft Sans Serif, Monospace, MS Reference Sans Serif, MS
                Reference Serif, Naqsh, New Athena Unicode (few), Palatino Linotype,
                Sanskrit 2003, SImPL, Tahoma, Thryomanes, Tibetan Machine Uni, Times
                New Roman, TITUS Cyberbit Basic, UVN Gia Dinh, UVN Giay Trang,
                Vusillus Old Face

                Macintosh OS 9: Tahoma

                Macintosh OS X: Arial, Gentium, GentiumAlt, Lucida Grande, MS
                Gothic, MS Mincho, MS PGothic, MS PMincho, Times New Roman, Verdana

                Unix: Caslon

                Best wishes,
                Dimitry
              • Derek
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 10, 2004
                  Hi, Alex,

                  > I am interested in feedback from other users. I've also
                  > come up with a simple javascript that replaces pali in
                  > the velthuis format (.d .t 'n aa, etc) with NCR
                  > (& #7693, etc):
                  >
                  > http://alex.voodooglobe.com/alex/04a/palijavascript.html

                  I think your Javascript idea, combined with Dimitry's long font
                  family list, is a great idea! Look at the advantages of it:

                  - page displays correctly for 70% of visitors *without* them making
                  any special adjustments

                  - page will display correctly for close to 100% of visitors
                  providing the remaining 30% are willing to download at least one of
                  the special fonts

                  - page is easy to type (Velthuis-style) for the creator, requiring
                  no special editing software or long strings of character codes

                  I don't want to go back and redo my own page, but if anyone is using
                  your method to put large quantities of Pali on the internet, I have
                  two suggestions for improvement:

                  - the Javascript should reside on the webpage creator's host, not
                  yours. Would you be willing to make your script freely available to
                  the public for them to store on their own server?

                  - it would be helpful for newcomers to Pali on the internet if
                  anyone creating a site using this method included links to where the
                  30% who don't have Arial Unicode MS or a modern version of Tahoma
                  can get one of the special fonts for their platform

                  Derek.
                • alexgenaud
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 20, 2005
                    Derek,

                    Almost a year ago, you posted a comment:

                    Which I had only just accidently noticed. You had asked:

                    > Would you be willing to make
                    > your script freely available to
                    > the public for them to store on
                    > their own server?

                    Absolutely. Consider any scripts mentioned by me,
                    on this list, for which I can claim responsibility,
                    to be in the public domain.

                    Alex