Re: [Pali] [Fwd: Pali fonts for mac]

  • Janaka
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 8 4:02 AM
      Dear Piya
      Check www.metta.lk
      I hope you can find pali fonts
      Janaka

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Piya Tan <libris@...>
      Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:49:56 +0800
      Subject: [Pali] [Fwd: Pali fonts for mac]
      To: Pali Yahoo Groups <pali@yahoogroups.com>

      Dear Yong Peng & Pali friends,

      Liz (who helps Ajahn Sujato in Australia) needs urgent help with Pali
      Mac fonts. Can anyonge help?

      Please see attached mail.

      Sukhi

      Piya

      [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
      [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com
      Yahoo! Groups members can set their delivery options to daily digest
      or web only.

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Regards,
      Janaka
      +94777842589
    • Dimitry A. Ivakhnenko (������� ��������
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 8 5:14 AM
        Hi,

        >> Liz (who helps Ajahn Sujato in Australia) needs urgent help with Pali
        >> Mac fonts. Can anyonge help?

        There's some helpful info on the page
        http://www.buddhanet.net/ftp_pali.htm
        http://www.buddhanet.net/filelib/therabud/installmacfonts.txt

        Also there's a Mac version of Gentium
        http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=Gentium_download&_sc=1

        Best wishes, Dimitry
      • Bob Offer-Westort
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8 9:22 AM
          OS X

          If Liz is using Macintosh OS X, she doesn't need any new fonts â€" characte=
          rs with
          appropriate diacritics come with the system software. To access these chara=
          cters, she will
          need to either use the Character Palette or the Unicode Hex Input. I hope t=
          hat the
          following instructions won't be too condescending - I don't know Liz's leve=
          l of tech
          savvy. I also hope that they won't be too confusing - these things are a li=
          ttle difficult
          to explain without pictures.

          To activate both the Character Palette and Unicode Hex Input, go to the App=
          le menu and
          select 'System Preferences...' In the 'Personal' section, select 'Internati=
          onal'. Select 'Input
          Menu', and see to it that 'Character Palette' and/or 'Unicode Hex Input' ar=
          e checked.

          At this point, there should be a new input methods menu in the righthand se=
          ction of the
          menu bar. This menu will have an icon, rather than text. On my computer, it=
          's an
          Australian flag. On others, it will be other national flags, depending on t=
          he keyboard input
          method of choice of the user. In any application, all she needs to do is se=
          lect the proper
          input method from this menu in order to have access to the Pali characters.=

          For both of these input methods, you need to understand what Unicode is. Un=
          icode is
          meant to be a unique numeric mapping for every character in every language.=
          Thus, it is
          important to know the number of each character that will be used. For Pali:=

          "n - 1E404/1E405
          ~n - 00D01/00F01 * This can also be produced through the usual option-n n.
          .t - 1E60C/1E60D
          .d - 1E00C/1E00D
          .n - 1E406/1E407
          .l - 1E306/1E307
          aa - 01000/01001
          ii - 0120A/0120B
          uu - 0160A/0160B

          The number before the slash in each group is the uppercase, and the number =
          after is the
          lowercase. There are letters mixed in with the numbers because these are he=
          xidecimal -
          base 16 - numerical represenations. Basically, the numbers 10-15 are repres=
          ented as
          single digits by the first six letters of the alphabet. There are a lot of =
          great resources on-
          line that explain hexidecimal quite well, but you don't really need to unde=
          rstand the math
          in order to understand how to use the Unicode representations.

          To use the Character Palette, select it on the Input Methods menu (the one =
          represented by
          a symbol in the upper right). A panel which floats on top of every other it=
          em on your
          screen will appear. Given that you now know the Unicode IDs of all the char=
          acters you'll
          need, it's probably easier to select characters from the Unicode Table than=
          from the
          Unicode Blocks. Once you've selected the necessary character, either hit en=
          ter, double-
          click on the character, or click 'Insert'. It would probably be wise to mov=
          e all of the
          characters into your Favorites list. That way, you don't have to search thr=
          ough the table
          every time you want a particular character.

          To use Hex Input, simply select it from the Input Methods menu. To add any =
          of the Pali
          characters, hold down the 'alt'/'option' key while typing in the Unicode en=
          coding. This is
          faster, but, given that there's not 'Favorites' list, it takes a bit more m=
          emorisation than
          does the Character Palette.

          For converting files from a PC, it will probably be necessary to do about e=
          ighteen 'replace
          all's.

          A final note for OS X - this will not work with Microsoft Word unless you'r=
          e using the 2004
          release. Prior versions are not Unicode compliant. Which is stupid. For pri=
          or editions of
          Microsoft Word, it will be necessary to use an OS 9 method. There will be d=
          ifficulties, as
          Word might not let you access some of the characters.

          OS 9 and Prior

          Advice has already been posted. I would only add that the Norman and LeedsB=
          it fonts in
          the Files section of this group (for those who have only used the group via=
          e-mail, this can
          be accessed at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pali/) have both worked on my =
          OS 9.2
          Mac quite well. Mac has been able to use TrueType fonts since System 7.0. F=
          or converting
          files that come from a PC, it will be necessary to find and replace certain=
          characters, as in
          OS X.
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 10 4:46 AM
            Dear Piya, Dimitry, Bob and friends,

            sorry for the late reply. I have just completed two assignments, on
            top of two already submitted last week. And there are four more
            assignments and a mid-sem test lurking in the dark. :-)

            With the slower proliferation of Mac software, I am not sure if OS X
            or System 9 is widely used. But, I can't really say much about the
            Mac platform, for I have not touch it for more than a decade.

            One of Dimitry's posted link highlighted Adobe's ATM, which was
            really the "answer" to the "call" for such situations in the old days.

            However, Piya, I remember you used Times-Norman fonts for typeset.
            And the fonts have long been available in PostScript. Here are the
            links for the Mac and PC Norman fonts:

            Mac: http://imp.lss.wisc.edu/~gbuhnema/macfonts.html
            PC: http://imp.lss.wisc.edu/~gbuhnema/pcfonts.html

            Hope that helps.

            metta,
            Yong Peng

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 10 8:47 AM
              Thanks Yong Peng,

              I will forward the info to Liz in Australia.

              Sukhi

              Piya