Re: [Pali] [Fwd: Pali fonts for mac]

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 8, 2004
      > Dear Yong Peng & Pali friends,
      >
      > Liz (who helps Ajahn Sujato in Australia) needs urgent help with Pali
      > Mac fonts. Can anyonge help?
      >
      > Please see attached mail.
      >
      > Sukhi
      >
      > Piya

      Subject:
      Pali fonts for mac
      Date:
      Tue, 7 Sep 2004 12:26:24 -0700
      From:
      Liz Oski <eoski@...>
      To:
      libris@...

      ---------------------------------

      Liz's message

      Dear Mr. Piya Tan

      I am a practising Buddhist for many years and a supporter of Bhante Sujato I design
      and print the Santi Forest Monastery
      posters, catalogues etc.

      Bhante Sujato has requested that I print out your Sutta Discovery Volumes. He has
      given me the files.

      In my business we work on Mac computers. The True Type fonts are not compatible with
      Mac. Mac uses Postscript fonts.

      Is it possible to source Postscript Pali fonts for Mac, so that I could go ahead with
      the job for Bhante?

      With Metta

      Liz Oski

      (Buddhist Library Caretaker)
      90 church Street
      Camperdown NSW 2050 Australia

      OSKI DESIGN PRINT
      PH: 9565 4535 FAX: 9516 3841
      MOBILE: 0419 603 424

      Correspondence:
      PO Box M143 Missenden Rd.
      CAMPERDOWN NSW 2050
    • Janaka
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 8, 2004
        Dear Piya
        Check www.metta.lk
        I hope you can find pali fonts
        Janaka

        Liz (who helps Ajahn Sujato in Australia) needs urgent help with Pali
        Mac fonts. Can anyonge help?

        Please see attached mail.

        Sukhi

        Piya

        [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
        [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com
        Yahoo! Groups members can set their delivery options to daily digest
        or web only.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Regards,
        Janaka
        +94777842589
      • Dimitry A. Ivakhnenko (������� ��������
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8, 2004
          Hi,

          >> Liz (who helps Ajahn Sujato in Australia) needs urgent help with Pali
          >> Mac fonts. Can anyonge help?

          There's some helpful info on the page
          http://www.buddhanet.net/ftp_pali.htm
          http://www.buddhanet.net/filelib/therabud/installmacfonts.txt

          Also there's a Mac version of Gentium
          http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=Gentium_download&_sc=1

          Best wishes, Dimitry
        • Bob Offer-Westort
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 8, 2004
            OS X

            If Liz is using Macintosh OS X, she doesn't need any new fonts â€" characte=
            rs with
            appropriate diacritics come with the system software. To access these chara=
            cters, she will
            need to either use the Character Palette or the Unicode Hex Input. I hope t=
            hat the
            following instructions won't be too condescending - I don't know Liz's leve=
            l of tech
            savvy. I also hope that they won't be too confusing - these things are a li=
            ttle difficult
            to explain without pictures.

            To activate both the Character Palette and Unicode Hex Input, go to the App=
            le menu and
            select 'System Preferences...' In the 'Personal' section, select 'Internati=
            onal'. Select 'Input
            Menu', and see to it that 'Character Palette' and/or 'Unicode Hex Input' ar=
            e checked.

            At this point, there should be a new input methods menu in the righthand se=
            ction of the
            menu bar. This menu will have an icon, rather than text. On my computer, it=
            's an
            Australian flag. On others, it will be other national flags, depending on t=
            he keyboard input
            method of choice of the user. In any application, all she needs to do is se=
            lect the proper
            input method from this menu in order to have access to the Pali characters.=

            For both of these input methods, you need to understand what Unicode is. Un=
            icode is
            meant to be a unique numeric mapping for every character in every language.=
            Thus, it is
            important to know the number of each character that will be used. For Pali:=

            "n - 1E404/1E405
            ~n - 00D01/00F01 * This can also be produced through the usual option-n n.
            .t - 1E60C/1E60D
            .d - 1E00C/1E00D
            .n - 1E406/1E407
            .l - 1E306/1E307
            aa - 01000/01001
            ii - 0120A/0120B
            uu - 0160A/0160B

            The number before the slash in each group is the uppercase, and the number =
            after is the
            lowercase. There are letters mixed in with the numbers because these are he=
            xidecimal -
            base 16 - numerical represenations. Basically, the numbers 10-15 are repres=
            ented as
            single digits by the first six letters of the alphabet. There are a lot of =
            great resources on-
            line that explain hexidecimal quite well, but you don't really need to unde=
            rstand the math
            in order to understand how to use the Unicode representations.

            To use the Character Palette, select it on the Input Methods menu (the one =
            represented by
            a symbol in the upper right). A panel which floats on top of every other it=
            em on your
            screen will appear. Given that you now know the Unicode IDs of all the char=
            acters you'll
            need, it's probably easier to select characters from the Unicode Table than=
            from the
            Unicode Blocks. Once you've selected the necessary character, either hit en=
            ter, double-
            click on the character, or click 'Insert'. It would probably be wise to mov=
            e all of the
            characters into your Favorites list. That way, you don't have to search thr=
            ough the table
            every time you want a particular character.

            To use Hex Input, simply select it from the Input Methods menu. To add any =
            of the Pali
            characters, hold down the 'alt'/'option' key while typing in the Unicode en=
            coding. This is
            faster, but, given that there's not 'Favorites' list, it takes a bit more m=
            emorisation than
            does the Character Palette.

            For converting files from a PC, it will probably be necessary to do about e=
            ighteen 'replace
            all's.

            A final note for OS X - this will not work with Microsoft Word unless you'r=
            e using the 2004
            release. Prior versions are not Unicode compliant. Which is stupid. For pri=
            or editions of
            Microsoft Word, it will be necessary to use an OS 9 method. There will be d=
            ifficulties, as
            Word might not let you access some of the characters.

            OS 9 and Prior

            Advice has already been posted. I would only add that the Norman and LeedsB=
            it fonts in
            the Files section of this group (for those who have only used the group via=
            e-mail, this can
            be accessed at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pali/) have both worked on my =
            OS 9.2
            Mac quite well. Mac has been able to use TrueType fonts since System 7.0. F=
            or converting
            files that come from a PC, it will be necessary to find and replace certain=
            characters, as in
            OS X.
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 10, 2004
              Dear Piya, Dimitry, Bob and friends,

              sorry for the late reply. I have just completed two assignments, on
              top of two already submitted last week. And there are four more
              assignments and a mid-sem test lurking in the dark. :-)

              With the slower proliferation of Mac software, I am not sure if OS X
              or System 9 is widely used. But, I can't really say much about the
              Mac platform, for I have not touch it for more than a decade.

              One of Dimitry's posted link highlighted Adobe's ATM, which was
              really the "answer" to the "call" for such situations in the old days.

              However, Piya, I remember you used Times-Norman fonts for typeset.
              And the fonts have long been available in PostScript. Here are the
              links for the Mac and PC Norman fonts:

              Mac: http://imp.lss.wisc.edu/~gbuhnema/macfonts.html
              PC: http://imp.lss.wisc.edu/~gbuhnema/pcfonts.html

              Hope that helps.

              metta,
              Yong Peng

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 10, 2004
                Thanks Yong Peng,

                I will forward the info to Liz in Australia.

                Sukhi

                Piya