[Fwd: Pali fonts for mac]

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 8, 2004
      Dear Yong Peng & Pali friends,

      Liz (who helps Ajahn Sujato in Australia) needs urgent help with Pali
      Mac fonts. Can anyonge help?

      Please see attached mail.

      Sukhi

      Piya

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 8, 2004
        > Dear Yong Peng & Pali friends,
        >
        > Liz (who helps Ajahn Sujato in Australia) needs urgent help with Pali
        > Mac fonts. Can anyonge help?
        >
        > Please see attached mail.
        >
        > Sukhi
        >
        > Piya

        Subject:
        Pali fonts for mac
        Date:
        Tue, 7 Sep 2004 12:26:24 -0700
        From:
        Liz Oski <eoski@...>
        To:
        libris@...

        ---------------------------------

        Liz's message

        Dear Mr. Piya Tan

        I am a practising Buddhist for many years and a supporter of Bhante Sujato I design
        and print the Santi Forest Monastery
        posters, catalogues etc.

        Bhante Sujato has requested that I print out your Sutta Discovery Volumes. He has
        given me the files.

        In my business we work on Mac computers. The True Type fonts are not compatible with
        Mac. Mac uses Postscript fonts.

        Is it possible to source Postscript Pali fonts for Mac, so that I could go ahead with
        the job for Bhante?

        With Metta

        Liz Oski

        (Buddhist Library Caretaker)
        90 church Street
        Camperdown NSW 2050 Australia

        OSKI DESIGN PRINT
        PH: 9565 4535 FAX: 9516 3841
        MOBILE: 0419 603 424

        Correspondence:
        PO Box M143 Missenden Rd.
        CAMPERDOWN NSW 2050
      • Janaka
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8, 2004
          Dear Piya
          Check www.metta.lk
          I hope you can find pali fonts
          Janaka

          Liz (who helps Ajahn Sujato in Australia) needs urgent help with Pali
          Mac fonts. Can anyonge help?

          Please see attached mail.

          Sukhi

          Piya

          [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
          [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com
          Yahoo! Groups members can set their delivery options to daily digest
          or web only.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Regards,
          Janaka
          +94777842589
        • Dimitry A. Ivakhnenko (������� ��������
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 8, 2004
            Hi,

            >> Liz (who helps Ajahn Sujato in Australia) needs urgent help with Pali
            >> Mac fonts. Can anyonge help?

            There's some helpful info on the page
            http://www.buddhanet.net/ftp_pali.htm
            http://www.buddhanet.net/filelib/therabud/installmacfonts.txt

            Also there's a Mac version of Gentium
            http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=Gentium_download&_sc=1

            Best wishes, Dimitry
          • Bob Offer-Westort
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 8, 2004
              OS X

              If Liz is using Macintosh OS X, she doesn't need any new fonts â€" characte=
              rs with
              appropriate diacritics come with the system software. To access these chara=
              cters, she will
              need to either use the Character Palette or the Unicode Hex Input. I hope t=
              hat the
              following instructions won't be too condescending - I don't know Liz's leve=
              l of tech
              savvy. I also hope that they won't be too confusing - these things are a li=
              ttle difficult
              to explain without pictures.

              To activate both the Character Palette and Unicode Hex Input, go to the App=
              le menu and
              select 'System Preferences...' In the 'Personal' section, select 'Internati=
              onal'. Select 'Input
              Menu', and see to it that 'Character Palette' and/or 'Unicode Hex Input' ar=
              e checked.

              At this point, there should be a new input methods menu in the righthand se=
              ction of the
              menu bar. This menu will have an icon, rather than text. On my computer, it=
              's an
              Australian flag. On others, it will be other national flags, depending on t=
              he keyboard input
              method of choice of the user. In any application, all she needs to do is se=
              lect the proper
              input method from this menu in order to have access to the Pali characters.=

              For both of these input methods, you need to understand what Unicode is. Un=
              icode is
              meant to be a unique numeric mapping for every character in every language.=
              Thus, it is
              important to know the number of each character that will be used. For Pali:=

              "n - 1E404/1E405
              ~n - 00D01/00F01 * This can also be produced through the usual option-n n.
              .t - 1E60C/1E60D
              .d - 1E00C/1E00D
              .n - 1E406/1E407
              .l - 1E306/1E307
              aa - 01000/01001
              ii - 0120A/0120B
              uu - 0160A/0160B

              The number before the slash in each group is the uppercase, and the number =
              after is the
              lowercase. There are letters mixed in with the numbers because these are he=
              xidecimal -
              base 16 - numerical represenations. Basically, the numbers 10-15 are repres=
              ented as
              single digits by the first six letters of the alphabet. There are a lot of =
              great resources on-
              line that explain hexidecimal quite well, but you don't really need to unde=
              rstand the math
              in order to understand how to use the Unicode representations.

              To use the Character Palette, select it on the Input Methods menu (the one =
              represented by
              a symbol in the upper right). A panel which floats on top of every other it=
              em on your
              screen will appear. Given that you now know the Unicode IDs of all the char=
              acters you'll
              need, it's probably easier to select characters from the Unicode Table than=
              from the
              Unicode Blocks. Once you've selected the necessary character, either hit en=
              ter, double-
              click on the character, or click 'Insert'. It would probably be wise to mov=
              e all of the
              characters into your Favorites list. That way, you don't have to search thr=
              ough the table
              every time you want a particular character.

              To use Hex Input, simply select it from the Input Methods menu. To add any =
              of the Pali
              characters, hold down the 'alt'/'option' key while typing in the Unicode en=
              coding. This is
              faster, but, given that there's not 'Favorites' list, it takes a bit more m=
              emorisation than
              does the Character Palette.

              For converting files from a PC, it will probably be necessary to do about e=
              ighteen 'replace
              all's.

              A final note for OS X - this will not work with Microsoft Word unless you'r=
              e using the 2004
              release. Prior versions are not Unicode compliant. Which is stupid. For pri=
              or editions of
              Microsoft Word, it will be necessary to use an OS 9 method. There will be d=
              ifficulties, as
              Word might not let you access some of the characters.

              OS 9 and Prior

              Advice has already been posted. I would only add that the Norman and LeedsB=
              it fonts in
              the Files section of this group (for those who have only used the group via=
              e-mail, this can
              be accessed at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pali/) have both worked on my =
              OS 9.2
              Mac quite well. Mac has been able to use TrueType fonts since System 7.0. F=
              or converting
              files that come from a PC, it will be necessary to find and replace certain=
              characters, as in
              OS X.
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 10, 2004
                Dear Piya, Dimitry, Bob and friends,

                sorry for the late reply. I have just completed two assignments, on
                top of two already submitted last week. And there are four more
                assignments and a mid-sem test lurking in the dark. :-)

                With the slower proliferation of Mac software, I am not sure if OS X
                or System 9 is widely used. But, I can't really say much about the
                Mac platform, for I have not touch it for more than a decade.

                One of Dimitry's posted link highlighted Adobe's ATM, which was
                really the "answer" to the "call" for such situations in the old days.

                However, Piya, I remember you used Times-Norman fonts for typeset.
                And the fonts have long been available in PostScript. Here are the
                links for the Mac and PC Norman fonts:

                Mac: http://imp.lss.wisc.edu/~gbuhnema/macfonts.html
                PC: http://imp.lss.wisc.edu/~gbuhnema/pcfonts.html

                Hope that helps.

                metta,
                Yong Peng

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 10, 2004
                  Thanks Yong Peng,

                  I will forward the info to Liz in Australia.

                  Sukhi

                  Piya