Re: could someone please help with some pali words

  • junet9876
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 5, 2004
      i get lazy to post, but i always say thank you in my heart to
      everyone who sends me stuff or helps with my questions.

      thanks for the article, rjkjp1, i wont give up pali.

      june

      > >_________________
      > Dear venerable Sujato and June,
      > There is a short article here about studying Pali here.
      > http://www.vipassana.info/should_the_use_of_pali_be_eschew.htm
    • cheangoo
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 6, 2004
        Hello Bhante,

        I see you have come into this group to share your wisdom and
        practice. It is a wonderful group and will benefit vastly from your
        comments. I fully see what you mean about the difficulty of
        watching the breath (involving the heart) compared with learning
        Pali (involving the thinking mind). I also count Ajahn Brahm as my
        primary teacher. But I also acknowledge you as an influential
        second teacher. I am now in Cleveland, Ohio spending a few weeks
        with my son. Tonight I shall be taking an overnight Greyhound to
        Newark to spend the next 5 days in personal retreat at bodhi
        monastery. Hopefully I should arrive in time to attend one of
        Bhikkhu Bodhi's weekly sutta discussions based on the Majjhima
        Nikaya.

        When shall we see you again in Penang?

        With best wishes and respect in the Dhamma,
        KhaikCheang Oo

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Bhante Sujato" <sujato@d...> wrote:
        > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "junet9876" <junet9876@y...> wrote:
        > > i am starting to think its easier to just sit and watch the
        > breath. i
        > > find pali requires too much brain usage.
        >

        > hello Junet
        >
        > My teacher, Ajahn Brahm, said that the first time you go over the
        > Pali books with all the grammar it seems impossible. The second
        time
        > it starts to make a bit of sense. The third time you wonder what
        the
        > problem was.
        >
        > I've been both studying Pali and watching the breath for over ten
        > years as a monk now, and trust me, the breath is much harder,
        > precisely because it requires, not brain, but heart.
        >
        > I think it's one of the great shames in Buddhism sometimes that
        > there is an artificial opposition set up between study and
        practice,
        > when in fact they should support each other. It always seems to me
        > that when there is a balance and harmony between pariyatti and
        > patipatti this will create the most lasting and secure grounds for
        > what's really important - pativedha.
        >
        > never say die
        >
        > Bhante Sujato
      • nina van gorkom
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 6, 2004
          Venerable Bhante, Dear Robert,
          I like the article Robert gave the link of. I agree with Bhante that just
          study is not enough, it must serve the purpose of developing right
          understanding, going on to pativedha. Even when we are engrossed in details
          of the Pali language we still should have our goal in mind.
          Nina.

          Bh: >> I think it's one of the great shames in Buddhism sometimes that