Re: could someone please help with some pali words

  • junet9876
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 5, 2004
      dear Bhante Sujato,

      i thought your name sounds familiar. didnt you give a talk on the
      structure of buddhist scriptures some time ago?

      actually i dont have anything against study (studying the dhamma,
      that is). i love reading the suttas, they put me at ease. sometimes
      when it's too hard to sit, i just get out the suttas to read, or
      listen to some dhamma talk when i get sick of reading. and because
      english translations often vary, i do think some knowledge of pali
      will be helpful. i think i may have sounded like i planned to
      completely give up pali, actually it was just a passing mood. though
      i probably wont get into all the different kinds of tenses (vocative,
      nominative, etc), but i think i will familiarize myself with some
      pali, not to become specialized in it, but just enough to better
      understand the suttas.

      as for people who study without practice, i dont have anything
      against them either...i myself wouldnt study without practice but i
      think study is better than nothing.

      actually i think we can meditate while we study. just keep some
      awareness on the breath at the same time, right? its just lately i
      have an urge to go to some secluded place to practice meditation.
      i'll be careful, as people warn me its dangerous. but i think you
      know how it is, right? when all else fails lower your
      standards...hehe. before i sit to meditate, i say, ok, i'm going to
      sit for an hour and a half. and then twenty minutes go by, and i
      already want to get up. so...yeah. but theres something about it, i'm
      just so attracted to the meditative life.

      thank you for talking to me. you sound very knowledgable. you're
      right, a parallel is good, you need some study to support your
      practice, otherwise, we wont know what we're doing. im just sick of
      thinking lately i think. because thats what ive been doing the past
      20 years or so, so i need a break.

      i love ajahn brahm. i start to like meditation because of him. its
      become so peaceful and enjoyable. otherwise its always been a drag to
      meditate.

      do i talk too much? i also plan to stop using the computer soon, its
      going to happen anytime now. its just so hard because i think its
      become so much a part of my life.

      nice talking to you!

      june

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Bhante Sujato" <sujato@d...> wrote:
      > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "junet9876" <junet9876@y...> wrote:
      > > i am starting to think its easier to just sit and watch the
      > breath. i
      > > find pali requires too much brain usage.
      >

      > hello Junet
      >
      > My teacher, Ajahn Brahm, said that the first time you go over the
      > Pali books with all the grammar it seems impossible. The second
      time
      > it starts to make a bit of sense. The third time you wonder what
      the
      > problem was.
      >
      > I've been both studying Pali and watching the breath for over ten
      > years as a monk now, and trust me, the breath is much harder,
      > precisely because it requires, not brain, but heart.
      >
      > I think it's one of the great shames in Buddhism sometimes that
      > there is an artificial opposition set up between study and
      practice,
      > when in fact they should support each other. It always seems to me
      > that when there is a balance and harmony between pariyatti and
      > patipatti this will create the most lasting and secure grounds for
      > what's really important - pativedha.
      >
      > never say die
      >
      > Bhante Sujato
    • junet9876
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 5, 2004
        i get lazy to post, but i always say thank you in my heart to
        everyone who sends me stuff or helps with my questions.

        thanks for the article, rjkjp1, i wont give up pali.

        june

        > >_________________
        > Dear venerable Sujato and June,
        > There is a short article here about studying Pali here.
        > http://www.vipassana.info/should_the_use_of_pali_be_eschew.htm
      • cheangoo
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 6, 2004
          Hello Bhante,

          I see you have come into this group to share your wisdom and
          practice. It is a wonderful group and will benefit vastly from your
          comments. I fully see what you mean about the difficulty of
          watching the breath (involving the heart) compared with learning
          Pali (involving the thinking mind). I also count Ajahn Brahm as my
          primary teacher. But I also acknowledge you as an influential
          second teacher. I am now in Cleveland, Ohio spending a few weeks
          with my son. Tonight I shall be taking an overnight Greyhound to
          Newark to spend the next 5 days in personal retreat at bodhi
          monastery. Hopefully I should arrive in time to attend one of
          Bhikkhu Bodhi's weekly sutta discussions based on the Majjhima
          Nikaya.

          When shall we see you again in Penang?

          With best wishes and respect in the Dhamma,
          KhaikCheang Oo

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Bhante Sujato" <sujato@d...> wrote:
          > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "junet9876" <junet9876@y...> wrote:
          > > i am starting to think its easier to just sit and watch the
          > breath. i
          > > find pali requires too much brain usage.
          >

          > hello Junet
          >
          > My teacher, Ajahn Brahm, said that the first time you go over the
          > Pali books with all the grammar it seems impossible. The second
          time
          > it starts to make a bit of sense. The third time you wonder what
          the
          > problem was.
          >
          > I've been both studying Pali and watching the breath for over ten
          > years as a monk now, and trust me, the breath is much harder,
          > precisely because it requires, not brain, but heart.
          >
          > I think it's one of the great shames in Buddhism sometimes that
          > there is an artificial opposition set up between study and
          practice,
          > when in fact they should support each other. It always seems to me
          > that when there is a balance and harmony between pariyatti and
          > patipatti this will create the most lasting and secure grounds for
          > what's really important - pativedha.
          >
          > never say die
          >
          > Bhante Sujato
        • nina van gorkom
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 6, 2004
            Venerable Bhante, Dear Robert,
            I like the article Robert gave the link of. I agree with Bhante that just
            study is not enough, it must serve the purpose of developing right
            understanding, going on to pativedha. Even when we are engrossed in details
            of the Pali language we still should have our goal in mind.
            Nina.

            Bh: >> I think it's one of the great shames in Buddhism sometimes that