Re: could someone please help with some pali words

  • rjkjp1
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 5, 2004
      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Bhante Sujato" <sujato@d...> wrote:
      > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "junet9876" <junet9876@y...> wrote:
      > > i am starting to think its easier to just sit and watch the
      > breath. i
      > > find pali requires too much brain usage.
      >

      > I think it's one of the great shames in Buddhism sometimes that
      > there is an artificial opposition set up between study and
      practice,
      > when in fact they should support each other. It always seems to me
      > that when there is a balance and harmony between pariyatti and
      > patipatti this will create the most lasting and secure grounds for
      > what's really important - pativedha.
      >
      >_________________
      Dear venerable Sujato and June,
      There is a short article here about studying Pali here.
      http://www.vipassana.info/should_the_use_of_pali_be_eschew.htm
    • junet9876
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 5, 2004
        dear Bhante Sujato,

        i thought your name sounds familiar. didnt you give a talk on the
        structure of buddhist scriptures some time ago?

        actually i dont have anything against study (studying the dhamma,
        that is). i love reading the suttas, they put me at ease. sometimes
        when it's too hard to sit, i just get out the suttas to read, or
        listen to some dhamma talk when i get sick of reading. and because
        english translations often vary, i do think some knowledge of pali
        will be helpful. i think i may have sounded like i planned to
        completely give up pali, actually it was just a passing mood. though
        i probably wont get into all the different kinds of tenses (vocative,
        nominative, etc), but i think i will familiarize myself with some
        pali, not to become specialized in it, but just enough to better
        understand the suttas.

        as for people who study without practice, i dont have anything
        against them either...i myself wouldnt study without practice but i
        think study is better than nothing.

        actually i think we can meditate while we study. just keep some
        awareness on the breath at the same time, right? its just lately i
        have an urge to go to some secluded place to practice meditation.
        i'll be careful, as people warn me its dangerous. but i think you
        know how it is, right? when all else fails lower your
        standards...hehe. before i sit to meditate, i say, ok, i'm going to
        sit for an hour and a half. and then twenty minutes go by, and i
        already want to get up. so...yeah. but theres something about it, i'm
        just so attracted to the meditative life.

        thank you for talking to me. you sound very knowledgable. you're
        right, a parallel is good, you need some study to support your
        practice, otherwise, we wont know what we're doing. im just sick of
        thinking lately i think. because thats what ive been doing the past
        20 years or so, so i need a break.

        i love ajahn brahm. i start to like meditation because of him. its
        become so peaceful and enjoyable. otherwise its always been a drag to
        meditate.

        do i talk too much? i also plan to stop using the computer soon, its
        going to happen anytime now. its just so hard because i think its
        become so much a part of my life.

        nice talking to you!

        june

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Bhante Sujato" <sujato@d...> wrote:
        > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "junet9876" <junet9876@y...> wrote:
        > > i am starting to think its easier to just sit and watch the
        > breath. i
        > > find pali requires too much brain usage.
        >

        > hello Junet
        >
        > My teacher, Ajahn Brahm, said that the first time you go over the
        > Pali books with all the grammar it seems impossible. The second
        time
        > it starts to make a bit of sense. The third time you wonder what
        the
        > problem was.
        >
        > I've been both studying Pali and watching the breath for over ten
        > years as a monk now, and trust me, the breath is much harder,
        > precisely because it requires, not brain, but heart.
        >
        > I think it's one of the great shames in Buddhism sometimes that
        > there is an artificial opposition set up between study and
        practice,
        > when in fact they should support each other. It always seems to me
        > that when there is a balance and harmony between pariyatti and
        > patipatti this will create the most lasting and secure grounds for
        > what's really important - pativedha.
        >
        > never say die
        >
        > Bhante Sujato
      • junet9876
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 5, 2004
          i get lazy to post, but i always say thank you in my heart to
          everyone who sends me stuff or helps with my questions.

          thanks for the article, rjkjp1, i wont give up pali.

          june

          > >_________________
          > Dear venerable Sujato and June,
          > There is a short article here about studying Pali here.
          > http://www.vipassana.info/should_the_use_of_pali_be_eschew.htm
        • cheangoo
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 6, 2004
            Hello Bhante,

            I see you have come into this group to share your wisdom and
            practice. It is a wonderful group and will benefit vastly from your
            comments. I fully see what you mean about the difficulty of
            watching the breath (involving the heart) compared with learning
            Pali (involving the thinking mind). I also count Ajahn Brahm as my
            primary teacher. But I also acknowledge you as an influential
            second teacher. I am now in Cleveland, Ohio spending a few weeks
            with my son. Tonight I shall be taking an overnight Greyhound to
            Newark to spend the next 5 days in personal retreat at bodhi
            monastery. Hopefully I should arrive in time to attend one of
            Bhikkhu Bodhi's weekly sutta discussions based on the Majjhima
            Nikaya.

            When shall we see you again in Penang?

            With best wishes and respect in the Dhamma,
            KhaikCheang Oo

            --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Bhante Sujato" <sujato@d...> wrote:
            > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "junet9876" <junet9876@y...> wrote:
            > > i am starting to think its easier to just sit and watch the
            > breath. i
            > > find pali requires too much brain usage.
            >

            > hello Junet
            >
            > My teacher, Ajahn Brahm, said that the first time you go over the
            > Pali books with all the grammar it seems impossible. The second
            time
            > it starts to make a bit of sense. The third time you wonder what
            the
            > problem was.
            >
            > I've been both studying Pali and watching the breath for over ten
            > years as a monk now, and trust me, the breath is much harder,
            > precisely because it requires, not brain, but heart.
            >
            > I think it's one of the great shames in Buddhism sometimes that
            > there is an artificial opposition set up between study and
            practice,
            > when in fact they should support each other. It always seems to me
            > that when there is a balance and harmony between pariyatti and
            > patipatti this will create the most lasting and secure grounds for
            > what's really important - pativedha.
            >
            > never say die
            >
            > Bhante Sujato
          • nina van gorkom
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 6, 2004
              Venerable Bhante, Dear Robert,
              I like the article Robert gave the link of. I agree with Bhante that just
              study is not enough, it must serve the purpose of developing right
              understanding, going on to pativedha. Even when we are engrossed in details
              of the Pali language we still should have our goal in mind.
              Nina.

              Bh: >> I think it's one of the great shames in Buddhism sometimes that