Re: [Pali] Lesson 9-- Question

  • Kumaara Bhikkhu
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 13, 2001
      My understanding is that saddhi.m and saha, which denote the idea of being
      "together", are used for animate (humans, animals) and abstract objects. A
      dog, kukkura, is animate, and so should be accompanied with "saddhi.m or
      "saha" when it is instrumental/instrumentative.

      At 02:07 PM 12-10-01 -0800, you wrote:
      >Jst a quick question--
      >
      >In Lesson 9, sentence number 6, the word SADHI.M togehter with KUKKURENA, dog.
      >I thought SAHA and SADHI.M were used with humans. Is it customary also to use
      >these words with animals? Or perhaps it's optional? Thanks-- Rene

      peace

      Ven. Kumaara
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 15, 2001
        Dear Rene and friends,

        both 'saha' and 'saddhi.m' mean 'together with'. It is used after a
        noun in the instrumental case to express companionship. This is one
        of the special uses of the instrumental case.

        Thanks,
        Yong Peng.