Re: [Pali] Lesson 9-- Question

  • Rene Salm
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 12, 2001
      Jst a quick question--

      In Lesson 9, sentence number 6, the word SADHI.M togehter with KUKKURENA, dog.
      I thought SAHA and SADHI.M were used with humans. Is it customary also to use
      these words with animals? Or perhaps it's optional? Thanks-- Rene

      Ong Yong Peng wrote:

      > 6. Kumaaraa kukkurena saddhi.m kii.litvaa samudda.m gantvaa
      > nahaayanti.
      > kumaaraa = boys (nom.)
      > kukkurena = dog (ins.)
      > saddhi.m = with (indec.)
      > kii.litvaa = having played
      > samudda.m = sea (acc.)
      > gantvaa = having gone
      > nahaayanti = bathe
      > Ans: Boys, having played with the dog, go to the sea and bathe.
    • Kumaara Bhikkhu
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 13, 2001
        My understanding is that saddhi.m and saha, which denote the idea of being
        "together", are used for animate (humans, animals) and abstract objects. A
        dog, kukkura, is animate, and so should be accompanied with "saddhi.m or
        "saha" when it is instrumental/instrumentative.

        At 02:07 PM 12-10-01 -0800, you wrote:
        >Jst a quick question--
        >
        >In Lesson 9, sentence number 6, the word SADHI.M togehter with KUKKURENA, dog.
        >I thought SAHA and SADHI.M were used with humans. Is it customary also to use
        >these words with animals? Or perhaps it's optional? Thanks-- Rene

        peace

        Ven. Kumaara
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 15, 2001
          Dear Rene and friends,

          both 'saha' and 'saddhi.m' mean 'together with'. It is used after a
          noun in the instrumental case to express companionship. This is one
          of the special uses of the instrumental case.

          Thanks,
          Yong Peng.