Agreement of adjectives with multiple nouns

  • Dhammanando Bhikkhu
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2004
      Greetings all,

      I have just replied to an e-mail query about what gender and
      number an adjective should be if it is qualifying two or more
      nouns connected by vaa or ca. I thought I would forward my reply
      to the list.

      Gender: the rule is that the adjective takes the gender of
      whichever noun it is nearest to. In practice this will most often
      be the masculine noun if there is one. Examples:

      aññaatako vaa gahapati vaa gahapataani vaa
      "a male householder or female householder who is unrelated [to
      the bhikkhu]"

      kaalakato pitaa vaa maataa vaa
      "a mother or father who is deceased"

      Number: if a group of singular nouns are conected by vaa, then
      the adjective will be singular. If they are connected by ca then
      it will be plural. If some nouns are singular and others plural,
      the number of the adjective will depend on whether the noun
      nearest to it is singular or plural.

      ekasmi.m samaye naatho Moggallaanañca Kassapa.m gilaane dukkhite
      disvaa bojjha`nge satta desayi.
      "On one occasion, the Lord, seeing Moggallaana and Kassapa sick
      and in pain, taught the seven factors of awakening."

      Best wishes,

      Dhammanando