Anapanasati sutta, fourth tetrad

  • nina van gorkom
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2004
      The Co to the Mahaaraahulovaadasutta refers to the Visuddhimagga that
      comments on the Anapanasati sutta. After having quoted the Commentary to the
      first, second and third Tetrad, I shall now continue:
      The fourth Tetrad, dealing with the Contemplation on Dhammas, Mental
      Objects.
      We read in the Commentary to the Anapanasati Sutta (translated by Ven.
      Nyanatiloka) about the explanations of the words of the sutta:
      <Having seen with understanding the abandoning of covetousness and grief, he
      becomes one who looks on with complete equanimity>: here covetousness is the
      hindrance of lust. By grief the hindrance of ill will is pointed out. For
      this tetrad is stated by way of insight. And contemplation of mental objects
      is sixfold... Of that contemplation, the section on the hindrances is the
      beginning... Accordingly, he said, <covetousness and grief> in order to
      point out the beginning of the contemplation of mental objects. <The
      abandoning> (pahaana.m) means it is the knowledge of abandoning, thus, <he
      abandons the perception of permanence through the contemplation of
      impermanence> that is intended...
      N: The Co refers to higher stages of insight knowledge leading to more
      detachment from conditioned realities: fading away (viraaga~naa.na),
      cessation (nirodha ~naa.na), and relinquishment (pa.tinissagga). We read
      further on:
      <That is why... bhikkhus>: because one who proceeds by the method,
      <contemplating impemanence, I shall breathe in,>etc., is one who looks on
      with complete equanimity after successively seeing with understanding not
      only the mental objects beginning with the hindrances, but also the
      knowledge of the abandoning of the mental objects stated under the heading
      of covetousness and grief. Therefore, it should be understood that <on that
      occasion... a bhikkhu abides contemplating mental objects in the mental
      objects.>

      Nina: In the Way of Mindfulness, Co translated by Ven. Soma, it is stated
      that just as in the case of body, feeling and citta, the mental objects
      should be contemplated in seven ways: as impermanent; as being subject to
      dukkha; as anatta; by way of turning away from it and not by way of
      delighting in it; by freeing himself of passion for it; with thoughts making
      for cessation and not making for origination; and not by way of laying hold
      of it, by by way of giving it up.
      As we have seen, the hindrances are classified under the mental objects, and
      they include also the khandhas, the sense-bases (ayatanas), the seven
      factors of enlightenment and the four Truths.
      (to be continued)