MN62 Mahaaraahulovaadasutta (18/Final)

    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 16, 2004
      Dear Nina and friends,

      I apologise for the long interval of four months. Here is the next
      and final part of the sutta. There are some words which I am not
      sure, please help.

      "Eva.m bhaavitaa kho, Raahula, aana-apaana-ssati,
      thus / cultivated / indeed / Rahula / in breathing-out breathing-
      mindfulness
      "Cultivated thus, Rahula, the mindfulness on in and out breathing,

      eva.m bahuliikataa maha-p-phalaa hoti maha-anisa.msaa.
      thus / practised frequently / great fruit / is / great profit
      practised frequently thus, is of great fruit and profit.

      Eva.m bhaavitaaya, Raahula, aana-apaana-ssati-yaa,
      thus / cultivated / Rahula / of in breathing-out breathing mindfulness
      Thus cultivated, Rahula, of the minfulness on in and out breathing,

      eva.m bahuliikataaya yepi te carimakaa assaasaa tepi viditaava
      nirujjhanti no aviditaa"ti.

      * yepi ???
      * carimaka (adj.) the last; subsequent.
      * assaasa (m.) breath, inhalation.
      * tepi ???
      * vidita (past part. from root vid) known, found out.
      * viditaava ???
      * nirujjhanti (3rd pers. plural of nirujjhati) cease; dissolve;
      vanish.
      * no (ind.) not.

      Idam-avoca Bhagavaa.
      this-spoke / the Blessed One
      The Blessed One spoke thus.

      * idamavoca = ida.m + avoca : this + spoke

      Attamano aayasmaa Raahulo Bhagavato bhaasita.m abhinandiiti.
      delighted / venerable / Rahula / of the Blessed One / words / rejoices
      Delighted is the venerable Rahula, who rejoices at the words of the
      Blessed One.

      * attamano (m.) he who is delighted.
      * bhaasita (n.) speech, saying, word.
      * abhinandii (m. sing. of abhinandin) he who rejoices.

      Please correct me if I am wrong.

      metta,
      Yong Peng
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 19, 2004
        Dear Nina and friends,

        thanks again, Nina. I shall write to you offline regarding the
        preparation of the materials for the Web. I think it shall be easier
        for us that way.

        At the same time, I would also like to thank everyone who have
        participated in the discussion and made the translation of
        Maharahulovada Sutta a success.