Re: [Pali] Re: Buddhaghosa College of Pali Studies

  • Jim Anderson
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 12, 2004
      Hi Icaro,

      Icaro:

      It always seemed to me that you´ve read a lot of Books on
      Pali... I keep with me the Duroseille´s and Narada Thera´s pali
      couse. But how to find time to keep my reading schedule on ?
      Sometimes I think that If I had a deep interest on the subject I
      could find a way to get more time for reading... but keeping my
      efforts on the present track suits me well too.

      Jim:

      I think you're right. It's easier to make more time for a subject
      you're already deeply interested in. If one doesn't have the level of
      interest needed, then that is something that one can work on and
      nurture over the years.

      Icaro:

      Are you formally initiated on Buddhism - taking the five precepts
      and so on ? You seems to be a kind of Lone Ranger of Dhamma, the
      solitaire Dhamma Reader of Northern Canada, where the marigolds
      blossom up!

      Jim:

      I don't know if I'm formally initiated but on several occasions I have
      undertaken the triple refuge and the five precepts in the presence of
      an ordained one. Never thought of this as being an initiation though.
      In the early years, I was initiated into a couple of the Tibetan
      practices which I only did for a short period of time before reverting
      back to the Theravada. I sometimes think of myself as a Buddhist
      hermit (or lone wolf) on the edge of the Canadian wilderness. I used
      to go and stay at a Buddhist retreat centre on 400 acres of wilderness
      up until 1992 but I've been a loner for the greater part of my life
      and I'm not in regular contact with any other Canadian Buddhist.

      I recently read that you'll be visiting Canada soon which I hope will
      be a pleasant experience for you.

      Best wishes,
      Jim
    • icarofranca
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 13, 2004
        Hi Jim...

        > I recently read that you'll be visiting Canada soon which I hope
        >will
        > be a pleasant experience for you.

        As a military officer my free time is a very strict one. I will
        take vacancies only at January and probably I will go to Bangkok and
        meet Sarah, Jon and the rest of the gang... or to Canada if I take it
        by july, to see the Canada's marigolds blossom up, the beautiful
        Northern Canada wilderness and meet Dudley Do-Right(hyphenized!!!) in
        person (heheh...just kidding).
        Meanwhile... I will continue my Pali studies. What do you think if
        I buy the Warden's pali manual ? It could be a mean term between the
        Duroseille's and Narada Thera's works!!!

        Best wishes, Jim!!!

        Mettaya, Ícaro
      • Jim Anderson
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 13, 2004
          Hi Icaro,

          Icaro:
          Meanwhile... I will continue my Pali studies. What do you think if
          I buy the Warden's pali manual ? It could be a mean term between the
          Duroseille's and Narada Thera's works!!!

          Jim:
          I think you'd do well to buy Warder's Introduction to Pali. It's
          cheaper if you get it in the paperback form. This is the book that I
          started with and I still continue to use it. Duroiselle's A Practical
          Grammar of the Pali Language is a good reference work to have at hand
          too. I haven't worked much with Narada's primer but between the two
          I'd prefer Warder's although some people find the latter too difficult
          to start with. May you continue with your Pali studies.

          Best wishes,
          Jim