Re: Buddhaghosa College of Pali Studies

  • icarofranca
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 11, 2004
      Hi Jim

      > No I don't mind at all. I'd have to say that my interest in studying
      > Pali has a lot to do with keeping me interested in Buddhism.

      It always seemed to me that you´ve read a lot of Books on
      Pali... I keep with me the Duroseille´s and Narada Thera´s pali
      couse. But how to find time to keep my reading schedule on ?
      Sometimes I think that If I had a deep interest on the subject I
      could find a way to get more time for reading... but keeping my
      efforts on the present track suits me well too.

      > I started to learn more about Buddhism in 1972 while boarding with a
      > Canadian Buddhist family who had a number of interesting books on
      > Buddhism in their bookcase. Before that, I had been interested in
      > Oriental religions from my readings of Thoreau, Alan Watts, and
      doing
      > some Yoga exercises. I bought my first Buddhist book, a translation
      of
      > the Dhammapada, during a stay in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1973.

      ^_^ A very prosaic begining! I am an Yoga practitioner too!

      > I thought you were Thai but wondered where you lived. Thanks for
      > telling me. I've never been to Asia but was fortunate to meet a
      large
      > group of visiting Thai Buddhists (many from Bangkok) in 2002 in
      > Niagara Falls. I'm a Canadian of British ancestry and live in a
      small
      > cottage on a wooded lot in rural Ontario about a half hour's drive
      > from where I was born and an hour and a half drive north of Toronto.
      > I've been living here since 1988. I took an early retirement in 1979
      > at age 32 so I would have more time to study Pali and Buddhism and
      > meditate.

      Are you formally initiated on Buddhism - taking the five precepts
      and so on ? You seems to be a kind of Lone Ranger of Dhamma, the
      solitaire Dhamma Reader of Northern Canada, where the marigolds
      blossom up!

      Mettaya, Ícaro
    • Jim Anderson
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 12, 2004
        Hi Icaro,

        Icaro:

        It always seemed to me that you´ve read a lot of Books on
        Pali... I keep with me the Duroseille´s and Narada Thera´s pali
        couse. But how to find time to keep my reading schedule on ?
        Sometimes I think that If I had a deep interest on the subject I
        could find a way to get more time for reading... but keeping my
        efforts on the present track suits me well too.

        Jim:

        I think you're right. It's easier to make more time for a subject
        you're already deeply interested in. If one doesn't have the level of
        interest needed, then that is something that one can work on and
        nurture over the years.

        Icaro:

        Are you formally initiated on Buddhism - taking the five precepts
        and so on ? You seems to be a kind of Lone Ranger of Dhamma, the
        solitaire Dhamma Reader of Northern Canada, where the marigolds
        blossom up!

        Jim:

        I don't know if I'm formally initiated but on several occasions I have
        undertaken the triple refuge and the five precepts in the presence of
        an ordained one. Never thought of this as being an initiation though.
        In the early years, I was initiated into a couple of the Tibetan
        practices which I only did for a short period of time before reverting
        back to the Theravada. I sometimes think of myself as a Buddhist
        hermit (or lone wolf) on the edge of the Canadian wilderness. I used
        to go and stay at a Buddhist retreat centre on 400 acres of wilderness
        up until 1992 but I've been a loner for the greater part of my life
        and I'm not in regular contact with any other Canadian Buddhist.

        I recently read that you'll be visiting Canada soon which I hope will
        be a pleasant experience for you.

        Best wishes,
        Jim
      • icarofranca
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 13, 2004
          Hi Jim...

          > I recently read that you'll be visiting Canada soon which I hope
          >will
          > be a pleasant experience for you.

          As a military officer my free time is a very strict one. I will
          take vacancies only at January and probably I will go to Bangkok and
          meet Sarah, Jon and the rest of the gang... or to Canada if I take it
          by july, to see the Canada's marigolds blossom up, the beautiful
          Northern Canada wilderness and meet Dudley Do-Right(hyphenized!!!) in
          person (heheh...just kidding).
          Meanwhile... I will continue my Pali studies. What do you think if
          I buy the Warden's pali manual ? It could be a mean term between the
          Duroseille's and Narada Thera's works!!!

          Best wishes, Jim!!!

          Mettaya, Ícaro
        • Jim Anderson
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 13, 2004
            Hi Icaro,

            Icaro:
            Meanwhile... I will continue my Pali studies. What do you think if
            I buy the Warden's pali manual ? It could be a mean term between the
            Duroseille's and Narada Thera's works!!!

            Jim:
            I think you'd do well to buy Warder's Introduction to Pali. It's
            cheaper if you get it in the paperback form. This is the book that I
            started with and I still continue to use it. Duroiselle's A Practical
            Grammar of the Pali Language is a good reference work to have at hand
            too. I haven't worked much with Narada's primer but between the two
            I'd prefer Warder's although some people find the latter too difficult
            to start with. May you continue with your Pali studies.

            Best wishes,
            Jim