Re: [Pali] Re: Buddhaghosa College of Pali Studies

  • Jim Anderson
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 9, 2004
      Dear Kittiphol,

      > Would you mind telling me what make you feel interested in Buddhism?

      No I don't mind at all. I'd have to say that my interest in studying
      Pali has a lot to do with keeping me interested in Buddhism.

      > And when did you start learning Buddhism?

      I started to learn more about Buddhism in 1972 while boarding with a
      Canadian Buddhist family who had a number of interesting books on
      Buddhism in their bookcase. Before that, I had been interested in
      Oriental religions from my readings of Thoreau, Alan Watts, and doing
      some Yoga exercises. I bought my first Buddhist book, a translation of
      the Dhammapada, during a stay in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1973.

      > I am Thai and live in Bangkok, Thailand. What about
      you?

      I thought you were Thai but wondered where you lived. Thanks for
      telling me. I've never been to Asia but was fortunate to meet a large
      group of visiting Thai Buddhists (many from Bangkok) in 2002 in
      Niagara Falls. I'm a Canadian of British ancestry and live in a small
      cottage on a wooded lot in rural Ontario about a half hour's drive
      from where I was born and an hour and a half drive north of Toronto.
      I've been living here since 1988. I took an early retirement in 1979
      at age 32 so I would have more time to study Pali and Buddhism and to
      meditate.

      Best wishes,
      Jim
    • icarofranca
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 11, 2004
        Hi Jim

        > No I don't mind at all. I'd have to say that my interest in studying
        > Pali has a lot to do with keeping me interested in Buddhism.

        It always seemed to me that you´ve read a lot of Books on
        Pali... I keep with me the Duroseille´s and Narada Thera´s pali
        couse. But how to find time to keep my reading schedule on ?
        Sometimes I think that If I had a deep interest on the subject I
        could find a way to get more time for reading... but keeping my
        efforts on the present track suits me well too.

        > I started to learn more about Buddhism in 1972 while boarding with a
        > Canadian Buddhist family who had a number of interesting books on
        > Buddhism in their bookcase. Before that, I had been interested in
        > Oriental religions from my readings of Thoreau, Alan Watts, and
        doing
        > some Yoga exercises. I bought my first Buddhist book, a translation
        of
        > the Dhammapada, during a stay in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1973.

        ^_^ A very prosaic begining! I am an Yoga practitioner too!

        > I thought you were Thai but wondered where you lived. Thanks for
        > telling me. I've never been to Asia but was fortunate to meet a
        large
        > group of visiting Thai Buddhists (many from Bangkok) in 2002 in
        > Niagara Falls. I'm a Canadian of British ancestry and live in a
        small
        > cottage on a wooded lot in rural Ontario about a half hour's drive
        > from where I was born and an hour and a half drive north of Toronto.
        > I've been living here since 1988. I took an early retirement in 1979
        > at age 32 so I would have more time to study Pali and Buddhism and
        > meditate.

        Are you formally initiated on Buddhism - taking the five precepts
        and so on ? You seems to be a kind of Lone Ranger of Dhamma, the
        solitaire Dhamma Reader of Northern Canada, where the marigolds
        blossom up!

        Mettaya, Ícaro
      • Jim Anderson
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 12, 2004
          Hi Icaro,

          Icaro:

          It always seemed to me that you´ve read a lot of Books on
          Pali... I keep with me the Duroseille´s and Narada Thera´s pali
          couse. But how to find time to keep my reading schedule on ?
          Sometimes I think that If I had a deep interest on the subject I
          could find a way to get more time for reading... but keeping my
          efforts on the present track suits me well too.

          Jim:

          I think you're right. It's easier to make more time for a subject
          you're already deeply interested in. If one doesn't have the level of
          interest needed, then that is something that one can work on and
          nurture over the years.

          Icaro:

          Are you formally initiated on Buddhism - taking the five precepts
          and so on ? You seems to be a kind of Lone Ranger of Dhamma, the
          solitaire Dhamma Reader of Northern Canada, where the marigolds
          blossom up!

          Jim:

          I don't know if I'm formally initiated but on several occasions I have
          undertaken the triple refuge and the five precepts in the presence of
          an ordained one. Never thought of this as being an initiation though.
          In the early years, I was initiated into a couple of the Tibetan
          practices which I only did for a short period of time before reverting
          back to the Theravada. I sometimes think of myself as a Buddhist
          hermit (or lone wolf) on the edge of the Canadian wilderness. I used
          to go and stay at a Buddhist retreat centre on 400 acres of wilderness
          up until 1992 but I've been a loner for the greater part of my life
          and I'm not in regular contact with any other Canadian Buddhist.

          I recently read that you'll be visiting Canada soon which I hope will
          be a pleasant experience for you.

          Best wishes,
          Jim
        • icarofranca
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 13, 2004
            Hi Jim...

            > I recently read that you'll be visiting Canada soon which I hope
            >will
            > be a pleasant experience for you.

            As a military officer my free time is a very strict one. I will
            take vacancies only at January and probably I will go to Bangkok and
            meet Sarah, Jon and the rest of the gang... or to Canada if I take it
            by july, to see the Canada's marigolds blossom up, the beautiful
            Northern Canada wilderness and meet Dudley Do-Right(hyphenized!!!) in
            person (heheh...just kidding).
            Meanwhile... I will continue my Pali studies. What do you think if
            I buy the Warden's pali manual ? It could be a mean term between the
            Duroseille's and Narada Thera's works!!!

            Best wishes, Jim!!!

            Mettaya, Ícaro
          • Jim Anderson
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 13, 2004
              Hi Icaro,

              Icaro:
              Meanwhile... I will continue my Pali studies. What do you think if
              I buy the Warden's pali manual ? It could be a mean term between the
              Duroseille's and Narada Thera's works!!!

              Jim:
              I think you'd do well to buy Warder's Introduction to Pali. It's
              cheaper if you get it in the paperback form. This is the book that I
              started with and I still continue to use it. Duroiselle's A Practical
              Grammar of the Pali Language is a good reference work to have at hand
              too. I haven't worked much with Narada's primer but between the two
              I'd prefer Warder's although some people find the latter too difficult
              to start with. May you continue with your Pali studies.

              Best wishes,
              Jim