RE: [Pali] Re: Buddhaghosa College of Pali Studies

  • Kittiphol
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 9 3:44 AM
      Dear Mr. Anderson,

      Thanks so much for your kindness.
      I have saved the pdf file from your site already.

      Would you mind telling me what make you feel interested in Buddhism?
      And when did you start learning Buddhism?

      I am Thai and live in Bangkok, Thailand. What about you?

      Have a nice weekend.
      Kittiphol

    • Jim Anderson
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 9 8:12 AM
        Dear Kittiphol,

        > Would you mind telling me what make you feel interested in Buddhism?

        No I don't mind at all. I'd have to say that my interest in studying
        Pali has a lot to do with keeping me interested in Buddhism.

        > And when did you start learning Buddhism?

        I started to learn more about Buddhism in 1972 while boarding with a
        Canadian Buddhist family who had a number of interesting books on
        Buddhism in their bookcase. Before that, I had been interested in
        Oriental religions from my readings of Thoreau, Alan Watts, and doing
        some Yoga exercises. I bought my first Buddhist book, a translation of
        the Dhammapada, during a stay in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1973.

        > I am Thai and live in Bangkok, Thailand. What about
        you?

        I thought you were Thai but wondered where you lived. Thanks for
        telling me. I've never been to Asia but was fortunate to meet a large
        group of visiting Thai Buddhists (many from Bangkok) in 2002 in
        Niagara Falls. I'm a Canadian of British ancestry and live in a small
        cottage on a wooded lot in rural Ontario about a half hour's drive
        from where I was born and an hour and a half drive north of Toronto.
        I've been living here since 1988. I took an early retirement in 1979
        at age 32 so I would have more time to study Pali and Buddhism and to
        meditate.

        Best wishes,
        Jim
      • icarofranca
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 11 2:33 PM
          Hi Jim

          > No I don't mind at all. I'd have to say that my interest in studying
          > Pali has a lot to do with keeping me interested in Buddhism.

          It always seemed to me that you´ve read a lot of Books on
          Pali... I keep with me the Duroseille´s and Narada Thera´s pali
          couse. But how to find time to keep my reading schedule on ?
          Sometimes I think that If I had a deep interest on the subject I
          could find a way to get more time for reading... but keeping my
          efforts on the present track suits me well too.

          > I started to learn more about Buddhism in 1972 while boarding with a
          > Canadian Buddhist family who had a number of interesting books on
          > Buddhism in their bookcase. Before that, I had been interested in
          > Oriental religions from my readings of Thoreau, Alan Watts, and
          doing
          > some Yoga exercises. I bought my first Buddhist book, a translation
          of
          > the Dhammapada, during a stay in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1973.

          ^_^ A very prosaic begining! I am an Yoga practitioner too!

          > I thought you were Thai but wondered where you lived. Thanks for
          > telling me. I've never been to Asia but was fortunate to meet a
          large
          > group of visiting Thai Buddhists (many from Bangkok) in 2002 in
          > Niagara Falls. I'm a Canadian of British ancestry and live in a
          small
          > cottage on a wooded lot in rural Ontario about a half hour's drive
          > from where I was born and an hour and a half drive north of Toronto.
          > I've been living here since 1988. I took an early retirement in 1979
          > at age 32 so I would have more time to study Pali and Buddhism and
          > meditate.

          Are you formally initiated on Buddhism - taking the five precepts
          and so on ? You seems to be a kind of Lone Ranger of Dhamma, the
          solitaire Dhamma Reader of Northern Canada, where the marigolds
          blossom up!

          Mettaya, Ícaro
        • Jim Anderson
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 12 8:05 AM
            Hi Icaro,

            Icaro:

            It always seemed to me that you´ve read a lot of Books on
            Pali... I keep with me the Duroseille´s and Narada Thera´s pali
            couse. But how to find time to keep my reading schedule on ?
            Sometimes I think that If I had a deep interest on the subject I
            could find a way to get more time for reading... but keeping my
            efforts on the present track suits me well too.

            Jim:

            I think you're right. It's easier to make more time for a subject
            you're already deeply interested in. If one doesn't have the level of
            interest needed, then that is something that one can work on and
            nurture over the years.

            Icaro:

            Are you formally initiated on Buddhism - taking the five precepts
            and so on ? You seems to be a kind of Lone Ranger of Dhamma, the
            solitaire Dhamma Reader of Northern Canada, where the marigolds
            blossom up!

            Jim:

            I don't know if I'm formally initiated but on several occasions I have
            undertaken the triple refuge and the five precepts in the presence of
            an ordained one. Never thought of this as being an initiation though.
            In the early years, I was initiated into a couple of the Tibetan
            practices which I only did for a short period of time before reverting
            back to the Theravada. I sometimes think of myself as a Buddhist
            hermit (or lone wolf) on the edge of the Canadian wilderness. I used
            to go and stay at a Buddhist retreat centre on 400 acres of wilderness
            up until 1992 but I've been a loner for the greater part of my life
            and I'm not in regular contact with any other Canadian Buddhist.

            I recently read that you'll be visiting Canada soon which I hope will
            be a pleasant experience for you.

            Best wishes,
            Jim
          • icarofranca
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 13 9:05 AM
              Hi Jim...

              > I recently read that you'll be visiting Canada soon which I hope
              >will
              > be a pleasant experience for you.

              As a military officer my free time is a very strict one. I will
              take vacancies only at January and probably I will go to Bangkok and
              meet Sarah, Jon and the rest of the gang... or to Canada if I take it
              by july, to see the Canada's marigolds blossom up, the beautiful
              Northern Canada wilderness and meet Dudley Do-Right(hyphenized!!!) in
              person (heheh...just kidding).
              Meanwhile... I will continue my Pali studies. What do you think if
              I buy the Warden's pali manual ? It could be a mean term between the
              Duroseille's and Narada Thera's works!!!

              Best wishes, Jim!!!

              Mettaya, Ícaro
            • Jim Anderson
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 13 3:43 PM
                Hi Icaro,

                Icaro:
                Meanwhile... I will continue my Pali studies. What do you think if
                I buy the Warden's pali manual ? It could be a mean term between the
                Duroseille's and Narada Thera's works!!!

                Jim:
                I think you'd do well to buy Warder's Introduction to Pali. It's
                cheaper if you get it in the paperback form. This is the book that I
                started with and I still continue to use it. Duroiselle's A Practical
                Grammar of the Pali Language is a good reference work to have at hand
                too. I haven't worked much with Narada's primer but between the two
                I'd prefer Warder's although some people find the latter too difficult
                to start with. May you continue with your Pali studies.

                Best wishes,
                Jim