RE: [Pali] Re: Buddhaghosa College of Pali Studies

  • Kittiphol
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 8 7:17 AM
      Dear Mr. Anderson,

      Thanks so much for you reply.
      I'd love to have it forwarded to me and thanks for this in advance.
      I am just a beginner to this language.. very difficult.
      However, just curious to know that you can read Thai??

      I also don't understand why Buddhaghosa web page didn't put all the
      pages into each topic.
      Still under contruction??

      Finally, thanks again for your kind assistance in this matter.

      Best regards,
      Kittiphol

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 8 11:20 AM
        Dear Kittiphol,

        > Thanks so much for you reply.
        > I'd love to have it forwarded to me and thanks for this in advance.
        > I am just a beginner to this language.. very difficult.
        > However, just curious to know that you can read Thai??

        In case some of the other members here are also interested in having a
        copy as well, I thought it would be better to upload the file to my
        website from which you and anyone else can download it. I only put it
        there temporarily and the url is:

        http://ca.geocities.com/palistudy/gajjayana.pdf

        The pdf file contains only the Kaccaayana suttas in the Thai script.
        I've only just started to read Pali in the Thai script so I'm really
        not all that familiar with the script yet. I hardly know anything
        about the Thai language.

        > I also don't understand why Buddhaghosa web page didn't put all the
        > pages into each topic.
        > Still under contruction??

        Yes, I think so. The website seems to be needing more work on it and
        upgrading. It's probably best to visit it every once in a while to see
        if anything has changed or if any new files of interest have been
        added.

        > Finally, thanks again for your kind assistance in this matter.

        You're very welcome!

        Best wishes,
        Jim
      • Kittiphol
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 9 3:44 AM
          Dear Mr. Anderson,

          Thanks so much for your kindness.
          I have saved the pdf file from your site already.

          Would you mind telling me what make you feel interested in Buddhism?
          And when did you start learning Buddhism?

          I am Thai and live in Bangkok, Thailand. What about you?

          Have a nice weekend.
          Kittiphol

        • Jim Anderson
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 9 8:12 AM
            Dear Kittiphol,

            > Would you mind telling me what make you feel interested in Buddhism?

            No I don't mind at all. I'd have to say that my interest in studying
            Pali has a lot to do with keeping me interested in Buddhism.

            > And when did you start learning Buddhism?

            I started to learn more about Buddhism in 1972 while boarding with a
            Canadian Buddhist family who had a number of interesting books on
            Buddhism in their bookcase. Before that, I had been interested in
            Oriental religions from my readings of Thoreau, Alan Watts, and doing
            some Yoga exercises. I bought my first Buddhist book, a translation of
            the Dhammapada, during a stay in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1973.

            > I am Thai and live in Bangkok, Thailand. What about
            you?

            I thought you were Thai but wondered where you lived. Thanks for
            telling me. I've never been to Asia but was fortunate to meet a large
            group of visiting Thai Buddhists (many from Bangkok) in 2002 in
            Niagara Falls. I'm a Canadian of British ancestry and live in a small
            cottage on a wooded lot in rural Ontario about a half hour's drive
            from where I was born and an hour and a half drive north of Toronto.
            I've been living here since 1988. I took an early retirement in 1979
            at age 32 so I would have more time to study Pali and Buddhism and to
            meditate.

            Best wishes,
            Jim
          • icarofranca
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 11 2:33 PM
              Hi Jim

              > No I don't mind at all. I'd have to say that my interest in studying
              > Pali has a lot to do with keeping me interested in Buddhism.

              It always seemed to me that you´ve read a lot of Books on
              Pali... I keep with me the Duroseille´s and Narada Thera´s pali
              couse. But how to find time to keep my reading schedule on ?
              Sometimes I think that If I had a deep interest on the subject I
              could find a way to get more time for reading... but keeping my
              efforts on the present track suits me well too.

              > I started to learn more about Buddhism in 1972 while boarding with a
              > Canadian Buddhist family who had a number of interesting books on
              > Buddhism in their bookcase. Before that, I had been interested in
              > Oriental religions from my readings of Thoreau, Alan Watts, and
              doing
              > some Yoga exercises. I bought my first Buddhist book, a translation
              of
              > the Dhammapada, during a stay in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1973.

              ^_^ A very prosaic begining! I am an Yoga practitioner too!

              > I thought you were Thai but wondered where you lived. Thanks for
              > telling me. I've never been to Asia but was fortunate to meet a
              large
              > group of visiting Thai Buddhists (many from Bangkok) in 2002 in
              > Niagara Falls. I'm a Canadian of British ancestry and live in a
              small
              > cottage on a wooded lot in rural Ontario about a half hour's drive
              > from where I was born and an hour and a half drive north of Toronto.
              > I've been living here since 1988. I took an early retirement in 1979
              > at age 32 so I would have more time to study Pali and Buddhism and
              > meditate.

              Are you formally initiated on Buddhism - taking the five precepts
              and so on ? You seems to be a kind of Lone Ranger of Dhamma, the
              solitaire Dhamma Reader of Northern Canada, where the marigolds
              blossom up!

              Mettaya, Ícaro
            • Jim Anderson
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 12 8:05 AM
                Hi Icaro,

                Icaro:

                It always seemed to me that you´ve read a lot of Books on
                Pali... I keep with me the Duroseille´s and Narada Thera´s pali
                couse. But how to find time to keep my reading schedule on ?
                Sometimes I think that If I had a deep interest on the subject I
                could find a way to get more time for reading... but keeping my
                efforts on the present track suits me well too.

                Jim:

                I think you're right. It's easier to make more time for a subject
                you're already deeply interested in. If one doesn't have the level of
                interest needed, then that is something that one can work on and
                nurture over the years.

                Icaro:

                Are you formally initiated on Buddhism - taking the five precepts
                and so on ? You seems to be a kind of Lone Ranger of Dhamma, the
                solitaire Dhamma Reader of Northern Canada, where the marigolds
                blossom up!

                Jim:

                I don't know if I'm formally initiated but on several occasions I have
                undertaken the triple refuge and the five precepts in the presence of
                an ordained one. Never thought of this as being an initiation though.
                In the early years, I was initiated into a couple of the Tibetan
                practices which I only did for a short period of time before reverting
                back to the Theravada. I sometimes think of myself as a Buddhist
                hermit (or lone wolf) on the edge of the Canadian wilderness. I used
                to go and stay at a Buddhist retreat centre on 400 acres of wilderness
                up until 1992 but I've been a loner for the greater part of my life
                and I'm not in regular contact with any other Canadian Buddhist.

                I recently read that you'll be visiting Canada soon which I hope will
                be a pleasant experience for you.

                Best wishes,
                Jim
              • icarofranca
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 13 9:05 AM
                  Hi Jim...

                  > I recently read that you'll be visiting Canada soon which I hope
                  >will
                  > be a pleasant experience for you.

                  As a military officer my free time is a very strict one. I will
                  take vacancies only at January and probably I will go to Bangkok and
                  meet Sarah, Jon and the rest of the gang... or to Canada if I take it
                  by july, to see the Canada's marigolds blossom up, the beautiful
                  Northern Canada wilderness and meet Dudley Do-Right(hyphenized!!!) in
                  person (heheh...just kidding).
                  Meanwhile... I will continue my Pali studies. What do you think if
                  I buy the Warden's pali manual ? It could be a mean term between the
                  Duroseille's and Narada Thera's works!!!

                  Best wishes, Jim!!!

                  Mettaya, Ícaro
                • Jim Anderson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 13 3:43 PM
                    Hi Icaro,

                    Icaro:
                    Meanwhile... I will continue my Pali studies. What do you think if
                    I buy the Warden's pali manual ? It could be a mean term between the
                    Duroseille's and Narada Thera's works!!!

                    Jim:
                    I think you'd do well to buy Warder's Introduction to Pali. It's
                    cheaper if you get it in the paperback form. This is the book that I
                    started with and I still continue to use it. Duroiselle's A Practical
                    Grammar of the Pali Language is a good reference work to have at hand
                    too. I haven't worked much with Narada's primer but between the two
                    I'd prefer Warder's although some people find the latter too difficult
                    to start with. May you continue with your Pali studies.

                    Best wishes,
                    Jim