Re: [Pali] Re: Buddhaghosa College of Pali Studies

  • Jim Anderson
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 8 6:49 AM
      Dear Kittiphol,

      Thank-you for pointing out the damaged file. I had first gone to the
      home page and could not see any active link to Kaccaayana's Grammar on
      that page so I asked Ven. Dhammanando about it in an offlist message.
      He then forwarded the gajjayana.pdf file to me. This one is in good
      condition and complete on my Acrobat Reader. I now see that this file
      is a much larger one (154k) than the one listed in the pdf directory
      (32k) and therefore not the same file. I could forward you the
      complete one if you wish. Just let me know.

      Best wishes,
      Jim

      > Dear Mr. Anderson,
      >
      > My name is Kittiphol and I am a new member in Pali Group as well.
      > After following-up to the link below and tried downloading
      > gajjayana.pdf It shows that the file is damaged and could not be
      > repaired.
      >
      > Some of pdf listings which I enter to see the content inside are not
      > completed. They showed only the introduction and no more
      explanation of

      > any grammatical theory.
      >
      > Kindly suggest.
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Kittiphol
    • Kittiphol
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 8 7:17 AM
        Dear Mr. Anderson,

        Thanks so much for you reply.
        I'd love to have it forwarded to me and thanks for this in advance.
        I am just a beginner to this language.. very difficult.
        However, just curious to know that you can read Thai??

        I also don't understand why Buddhaghosa web page didn't put all the
        pages into each topic.
        Still under contruction??

        Finally, thanks again for your kind assistance in this matter.

        Best regards,
        Kittiphol

        Thank-you for pointing out the damaged file. I had first gone to the
        home page and could not see any active link to Kaccaayana's Grammar on
        that page so I asked Ven. Dhammanando about it in an offlist message.
        He then forwarded the gajjayana.pdf file to me. This one is in good
        condition and complete on my Acrobat Reader. I now see that this file
        is a much larger one (154k) than the one listed in the pdf directory
        (32k) and therefore not the same file. I could forward you the
        complete one if you wish. Just let me know.

        Best wishes,
        Jim

        > Dear Mr. Anderson,
        >
        > My name is Kittiphol and I am a new member in Pali Group as well.
        > After following-up to the link below and tried downloading
        > gajjayana.pdf It shows that the file is damaged and could not be
        > repaired.
        >
        > Some of pdf listings which I enter to see the content inside are not
        > completed. They showed only the introduction and no more
        explanation of

        > any grammatical theory.
        >
        > Kindly suggest.
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Kittiphol

        [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
        [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com
        Yahoo! Groups members can set their delivery options to daily digest or
        web only.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129mjsath/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/
        D=groups/S=1705073947:HM/EXP=1089381267/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*htt
        p:/companion.yahoo.com> click here

        s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=517112430>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 8 8:48 AM
          Dear Phra Dhammanando & Jim,

          I managed to get into the PDF site thanks to your advice.

          However, I only managed to get the first few pages. Must be an error with my Acrobat.

          I will keep on trying & thanks again.

          Palms together,

          Piya

        • Jim Anderson
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 8 11:20 AM
            Dear Kittiphol,

            > Thanks so much for you reply.
            > I'd love to have it forwarded to me and thanks for this in advance.
            > I am just a beginner to this language.. very difficult.
            > However, just curious to know that you can read Thai??

            In case some of the other members here are also interested in having a
            copy as well, I thought it would be better to upload the file to my
            website from which you and anyone else can download it. I only put it
            there temporarily and the url is:

            http://ca.geocities.com/palistudy/gajjayana.pdf

            The pdf file contains only the Kaccaayana suttas in the Thai script.
            I've only just started to read Pali in the Thai script so I'm really
            not all that familiar with the script yet. I hardly know anything
            about the Thai language.

            > I also don't understand why Buddhaghosa web page didn't put all the
            > pages into each topic.
            > Still under contruction??

            Yes, I think so. The website seems to be needing more work on it and
            upgrading. It's probably best to visit it every once in a while to see
            if anything has changed or if any new files of interest have been
            added.

            > Finally, thanks again for your kind assistance in this matter.

            You're very welcome!

            Best wishes,
            Jim
          • Kittiphol
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 9 3:44 AM
              Dear Mr. Anderson,

              Thanks so much for your kindness.
              I have saved the pdf file from your site already.

              Would you mind telling me what make you feel interested in Buddhism?
              And when did you start learning Buddhism?

              I am Thai and live in Bangkok, Thailand. What about you?

              Have a nice weekend.
              Kittiphol

            • Jim Anderson
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 9 8:12 AM
                Dear Kittiphol,

                > Would you mind telling me what make you feel interested in Buddhism?

                No I don't mind at all. I'd have to say that my interest in studying
                Pali has a lot to do with keeping me interested in Buddhism.

                > And when did you start learning Buddhism?

                I started to learn more about Buddhism in 1972 while boarding with a
                Canadian Buddhist family who had a number of interesting books on
                Buddhism in their bookcase. Before that, I had been interested in
                Oriental religions from my readings of Thoreau, Alan Watts, and doing
                some Yoga exercises. I bought my first Buddhist book, a translation of
                the Dhammapada, during a stay in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1973.

                > I am Thai and live in Bangkok, Thailand. What about
                you?

                I thought you were Thai but wondered where you lived. Thanks for
                telling me. I've never been to Asia but was fortunate to meet a large
                group of visiting Thai Buddhists (many from Bangkok) in 2002 in
                Niagara Falls. I'm a Canadian of British ancestry and live in a small
                cottage on a wooded lot in rural Ontario about a half hour's drive
                from where I was born and an hour and a half drive north of Toronto.
                I've been living here since 1988. I took an early retirement in 1979
                at age 32 so I would have more time to study Pali and Buddhism and to
                meditate.

                Best wishes,
                Jim
              • icarofranca
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 11 2:33 PM
                  Hi Jim

                  > No I don't mind at all. I'd have to say that my interest in studying
                  > Pali has a lot to do with keeping me interested in Buddhism.

                  It always seemed to me that you´ve read a lot of Books on
                  Pali... I keep with me the Duroseille´s and Narada Thera´s pali
                  couse. But how to find time to keep my reading schedule on ?
                  Sometimes I think that If I had a deep interest on the subject I
                  could find a way to get more time for reading... but keeping my
                  efforts on the present track suits me well too.

                  > I started to learn more about Buddhism in 1972 while boarding with a
                  > Canadian Buddhist family who had a number of interesting books on
                  > Buddhism in their bookcase. Before that, I had been interested in
                  > Oriental religions from my readings of Thoreau, Alan Watts, and
                  doing
                  > some Yoga exercises. I bought my first Buddhist book, a translation
                  of
                  > the Dhammapada, during a stay in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1973.

                  ^_^ A very prosaic begining! I am an Yoga practitioner too!

                  > I thought you were Thai but wondered where you lived. Thanks for
                  > telling me. I've never been to Asia but was fortunate to meet a
                  large
                  > group of visiting Thai Buddhists (many from Bangkok) in 2002 in
                  > Niagara Falls. I'm a Canadian of British ancestry and live in a
                  small
                  > cottage on a wooded lot in rural Ontario about a half hour's drive
                  > from where I was born and an hour and a half drive north of Toronto.
                  > I've been living here since 1988. I took an early retirement in 1979
                  > at age 32 so I would have more time to study Pali and Buddhism and
                  > meditate.

                  Are you formally initiated on Buddhism - taking the five precepts
                  and so on ? You seems to be a kind of Lone Ranger of Dhamma, the
                  solitaire Dhamma Reader of Northern Canada, where the marigolds
                  blossom up!

                  Mettaya, Ícaro
                • Jim Anderson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 12 8:05 AM
                    Hi Icaro,

                    Icaro:

                    It always seemed to me that you´ve read a lot of Books on
                    Pali... I keep with me the Duroseille´s and Narada Thera´s pali
                    couse. But how to find time to keep my reading schedule on ?
                    Sometimes I think that If I had a deep interest on the subject I
                    could find a way to get more time for reading... but keeping my
                    efforts on the present track suits me well too.

                    Jim:

                    I think you're right. It's easier to make more time for a subject
                    you're already deeply interested in. If one doesn't have the level of
                    interest needed, then that is something that one can work on and
                    nurture over the years.

                    Icaro:

                    Are you formally initiated on Buddhism - taking the five precepts
                    and so on ? You seems to be a kind of Lone Ranger of Dhamma, the
                    solitaire Dhamma Reader of Northern Canada, where the marigolds
                    blossom up!

                    Jim:

                    I don't know if I'm formally initiated but on several occasions I have
                    undertaken the triple refuge and the five precepts in the presence of
                    an ordained one. Never thought of this as being an initiation though.
                    In the early years, I was initiated into a couple of the Tibetan
                    practices which I only did for a short period of time before reverting
                    back to the Theravada. I sometimes think of myself as a Buddhist
                    hermit (or lone wolf) on the edge of the Canadian wilderness. I used
                    to go and stay at a Buddhist retreat centre on 400 acres of wilderness
                    up until 1992 but I've been a loner for the greater part of my life
                    and I'm not in regular contact with any other Canadian Buddhist.

                    I recently read that you'll be visiting Canada soon which I hope will
                    be a pleasant experience for you.

                    Best wishes,
                    Jim
                  • icarofranca
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 13 9:05 AM
                      Hi Jim...

                      > I recently read that you'll be visiting Canada soon which I hope
                      >will
                      > be a pleasant experience for you.

                      As a military officer my free time is a very strict one. I will
                      take vacancies only at January and probably I will go to Bangkok and
                      meet Sarah, Jon and the rest of the gang... or to Canada if I take it
                      by july, to see the Canada's marigolds blossom up, the beautiful
                      Northern Canada wilderness and meet Dudley Do-Right(hyphenized!!!) in
                      person (heheh...just kidding).
                      Meanwhile... I will continue my Pali studies. What do you think if
                      I buy the Warden's pali manual ? It could be a mean term between the
                      Duroseille's and Narada Thera's works!!!

                      Best wishes, Jim!!!

                      Mettaya, Ícaro
                    • Jim Anderson
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 13 3:43 PM
                        Hi Icaro,

                        Icaro:
                        Meanwhile... I will continue my Pali studies. What do you think if
                        I buy the Warden's pali manual ? It could be a mean term between the
                        Duroseille's and Narada Thera's works!!!

                        Jim:
                        I think you'd do well to buy Warder's Introduction to Pali. It's
                        cheaper if you get it in the paperback form. This is the book that I
                        started with and I still continue to use it. Duroiselle's A Practical
                        Grammar of the Pali Language is a good reference work to have at hand
                        too. I haven't worked much with Narada's primer but between the two
                        I'd prefer Warder's although some people find the latter too difficult
                        to start with. May you continue with your Pali studies.

                        Best wishes,
                        Jim