Re: Buddhaghosa College of Pali Studies

  • dhammanando_bhikkhu
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 6, 2004
      Dear Piya,

      > The Thai characters appear as gibberish on the Mahachula
      > Buddhaghosa website. How do I get the Thai characters correctly.

      On my Macintosh the website appears correctly if I use Netscape
      Communicator 4.77, but is gibberish with Internet Exploder. Even
      with Netscape it took a bit of tweaking to get the characters to
      appear properly.

      See if this works:

      1) Click on the Netscape 'view' menu, go down to 'character set'
      and select 'user-defined'.

      2) Go to 'language preferences' and make sure Thai is at the top of
      the list.

      3) Go to 'font preferences' and select the following options:

      * For the encoding: user-defined

      * Variable-width font: Thonburi (or whatever Thai font you have
      in your system)

      * Fixed width font: Ayutthaya (or whatever you have)

      * 'Use my fonts, over-riding page-specified fonts'

      Then try going to the webpage:

      http://buddhaghosa.mcu.ac.th/

      I hope it works.

      > I studied at the Mahachula during my monk years in Thailand.,
      > Brings back many good memories.

      I used to know the place pretty well. I didn't study there, but
      once spent a year living in Section 5 of Wat Mahathat.

      Best wishes,

      Dhammanando
    • Jim Anderson
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 7, 2004
        Dear Piya,

        To add to Ven. Dhammanando's remarks, I'd like to mention that the
        Thai characters appear correctly on my computer with Windows 95 and
        Internet Explorer 5.5. I don't remember exactly how this font came to
        be installed on my computer but I can think of two possibilities: it
        came about through a pop-up prompt for an installation from Microsoft
        either upon receiving an email message from a Thai friend or while
        visiting the budsir.org website. At any rate, it was all done
        automatically after clicking on the ok button.

        You can also access the pdf files on the Buddhaghosa College's website
        by going directly to the pdf directory at:
        http://buddhaghosa.mcu.ac.th/pdf/ . There, you will see a listing of
        the pdf files with names in Roman characters, any of which can be
        downloaded eg. Kaccaayana's grammatical suttas are in gajjayana.pdf.
        Hope this helps.

        Best wishes,
        Jim

        > Dear Piya,
        >
        > > The Thai characters appear as gibberish on the Mahachula
        > > Buddhaghosa website. How do I get the Thai characters correctly.
        >
        > On my Macintosh the website appears correctly if I use Netscape
        > Communicator 4.77, but is gibberish with Internet Exploder. Even
        > with Netscape it took a bit of tweaking to get the characters to
        > appear properly.
        >
        > See if this works:
        >
        > 1) Click on the Netscape 'view' menu, go down to 'character set'
        > and select 'user-defined'.
        >
        > 2) Go to 'language preferences' and make sure Thai is at the top of
        > the list.
        >
        > 3) Go to 'font preferences' and select the following options:
        >
        > * For the encoding: user-defined
        >
        > * Variable-width font: Thonburi (or whatever Thai font you have
        > in your system)
        >
        > * Fixed width font: Ayutthaya (or whatever you have)
        >
        > * 'Use my fonts, over-riding page-specified fonts'
        >
        > Then try going to the webpage:
        >
        > http://buddhaghosa.mcu.ac.th/
        >
        > I hope it works.
        >

        > > I studied at the Mahachula during my monk years in Thailand.,
        > > Brings back many good memories.
        >

        > I used to know the place pretty well. I didn't study there, but
        > once spent a year living in Section 5 of Wat Mahathat.
        >
        > Best wishes,
        >
        > Dhammanando
      • Kittiphol
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 7, 2004
          Dear Mr. Anderson,

          My name is Kittiphol and I am a new member in Pali Group as well.
          After following-up to the link below and tried downloading
          gajjayana.pdf It shows that the file is damaged and could not be
          repaired.

          Some of pdf listings which I enter to see the content inside are not
          completed. They showed only the introduction and no more explanation of

          any grammatical theory.

          Kindly suggest.

          Best regards,
          Kittiphol

          You can also access the pdf files on the Buddhaghosa College's website
          by going directly to the pdf directory at:
          http://buddhaghosa.mcu.ac.th/pdf/ . There, you will see a listing of
          the pdf files with names in Roman characters, any of which can be
          downloaded eg. Kaccaayana's grammatical suttas are in gajjayana.pdf.
          Hope this helps.

          To add to Ven. Dhammanando's remarks, I'd like to mention that the
          Thai characters appear correctly on my computer with Windows 95 and
          Internet Explorer 5.5. I don't remember exactly how this font came to
          be installed on my computer but I can think of two possibilities: it
          came about through a pop-up prompt for an installation from Microsoft
          either upon receiving an email message from a Thai friend or while
          visiting the budsir.org website. At any rate, it was all done
          automatically after clicking on the ok button.

          You can also access the pdf files on the Buddhaghosa College's website
          by going directly to the pdf directory at:
          http://buddhaghosa.mcu.ac.th/pdf/ . There, you will see a listing of
          the pdf files with names in Roman characters, any of which can be
          downloaded eg. Kaccaayana's grammatical suttas are in gajjayana.pdf.
          Hope this helps.

          Best wishes,
          Jim

          > Dear Piya,
          >
          > > The Thai characters appear as gibberish on the Mahachula
          > > Buddhaghosa website. How do I get the Thai characters correctly.
          >
          > On my Macintosh the website appears correctly if I use Netscape
          > Communicator 4.77, but is gibberish with Internet Exploder. Even
          > with Netscape it took a bit of tweaking to get the characters to
          > appear properly.
          >
          > See if this works:
          >
          > 1) Click on the Netscape 'view' menu, go down to 'character set'
          > and select 'user-defined'.
          >
          > 2) Go to 'language preferences' and make sure Thai is at the top of
          > the list.
          >
          > 3) Go to 'font preferences' and select the following options:
          >
          > * For the encoding: user-defined
          >
          > * Variable-width font: Thonburi (or whatever Thai font you have
          > in your system)
          >
          > * Fixed width font: Ayutthaya (or whatever you have)
          >
          > * 'Use my fonts, over-riding page-specified fonts'
          >
          > Then try going to the webpage:
          >
          > http://buddhaghosa.mcu.ac.th/
          >
          > I hope it works.
          >

          > > I studied at the Mahachula during my monk years in Thailand.,
          > > Brings back many good memories.
          >

          > I used to know the place pretty well. I didn't study there, but
          > once spent a year living in Section 5 of Wat Mahathat.
          >
          > Best wishes,
          >
          > Dhammanando

          [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
          [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com
          Yahoo! Groups members can set their delivery options to daily digest or
          web only.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129mqmu1f/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/
          D=groups/S=1705073947:HM/EXP=1089344338/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*htt
          p:/companion.yahoo.com> click here

          s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=163794662>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jim Anderson
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 8, 2004
            Dear Kittiphol,

            Thank-you for pointing out the damaged file. I had first gone to the
            home page and could not see any active link to Kaccaayana's Grammar on
            that page so I asked Ven. Dhammanando about it in an offlist message.
            He then forwarded the gajjayana.pdf file to me. This one is in good
            condition and complete on my Acrobat Reader. I now see that this file
            is a much larger one (154k) than the one listed in the pdf directory
            (32k) and therefore not the same file. I could forward you the
            complete one if you wish. Just let me know.

            Best wishes,
            Jim

            > Dear Mr. Anderson,
            >
            > My name is Kittiphol and I am a new member in Pali Group as well.
            > After following-up to the link below and tried downloading
            > gajjayana.pdf It shows that the file is damaged and could not be
            > repaired.
            >
            > Some of pdf listings which I enter to see the content inside are not
            > completed. They showed only the introduction and no more
            explanation of

            > any grammatical theory.
            >
            > Kindly suggest.
            >
            > Best regards,
            > Kittiphol
          • Kittiphol
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 8, 2004
              Dear Mr. Anderson,

              Thanks so much for you reply.
              I'd love to have it forwarded to me and thanks for this in advance.
              I am just a beginner to this language.. very difficult.
              However, just curious to know that you can read Thai??

              I also don't understand why Buddhaghosa web page didn't put all the
              pages into each topic.
              Still under contruction??

              Finally, thanks again for your kind assistance in this matter.

              Best regards,
              Kittiphol

              Thank-you for pointing out the damaged file. I had first gone to the
              home page and could not see any active link to Kaccaayana's Grammar on
              that page so I asked Ven. Dhammanando about it in an offlist message.
              He then forwarded the gajjayana.pdf file to me. This one is in good
              condition and complete on my Acrobat Reader. I now see that this file
              is a much larger one (154k) than the one listed in the pdf directory
              (32k) and therefore not the same file. I could forward you the
              complete one if you wish. Just let me know.

              Best wishes,
              Jim

              > Dear Mr. Anderson,
              >
              > My name is Kittiphol and I am a new member in Pali Group as well.
              > After following-up to the link below and tried downloading
              > gajjayana.pdf It shows that the file is damaged and could not be
              > repaired.
              >
              > Some of pdf listings which I enter to see the content inside are not
              > completed. They showed only the introduction and no more
              explanation of

              > any grammatical theory.
              >
              > Kindly suggest.
              >
              > Best regards,
              > Kittiphol

              [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
              [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com
              Yahoo! Groups members can set their delivery options to daily digest or
              web only.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129mjsath/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/
              D=groups/S=1705073947:HM/EXP=1089381267/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*htt
              p:/companion.yahoo.com> click here

              s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=517112430>

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 8, 2004
                Dear Phra Dhammanando & Jim,

                I managed to get into the PDF site thanks to your advice.

                However, I only managed to get the first few pages. Must be an error with my Acrobat.

                I will keep on trying & thanks again.

                Palms together,

                Piya

              • Jim Anderson
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 8, 2004
                  Dear Kittiphol,

                  > Thanks so much for you reply.
                  > I'd love to have it forwarded to me and thanks for this in advance.
                  > I am just a beginner to this language.. very difficult.
                  > However, just curious to know that you can read Thai??

                  In case some of the other members here are also interested in having a
                  copy as well, I thought it would be better to upload the file to my
                  website from which you and anyone else can download it. I only put it
                  there temporarily and the url is:

                  http://ca.geocities.com/palistudy/gajjayana.pdf

                  The pdf file contains only the Kaccaayana suttas in the Thai script.
                  I've only just started to read Pali in the Thai script so I'm really
                  not all that familiar with the script yet. I hardly know anything
                  about the Thai language.

                  > I also don't understand why Buddhaghosa web page didn't put all the
                  > pages into each topic.
                  > Still under contruction??

                  Yes, I think so. The website seems to be needing more work on it and
                  upgrading. It's probably best to visit it every once in a while to see
                  if anything has changed or if any new files of interest have been
                  added.

                  > Finally, thanks again for your kind assistance in this matter.

                  You're very welcome!

                  Best wishes,
                  Jim
                • Kittiphol
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 9, 2004
                    Dear Mr. Anderson,

                    Thanks so much for your kindness.
                    I have saved the pdf file from your site already.

                    Would you mind telling me what make you feel interested in Buddhism?
                    And when did you start learning Buddhism?

                    I am Thai and live in Bangkok, Thailand. What about you?

                    Have a nice weekend.
                    Kittiphol

                  • Jim Anderson
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 9, 2004
                      Dear Kittiphol,

                      > Would you mind telling me what make you feel interested in Buddhism?

                      No I don't mind at all. I'd have to say that my interest in studying
                      Pali has a lot to do with keeping me interested in Buddhism.

                      > And when did you start learning Buddhism?

                      I started to learn more about Buddhism in 1972 while boarding with a
                      Canadian Buddhist family who had a number of interesting books on
                      Buddhism in their bookcase. Before that, I had been interested in
                      Oriental religions from my readings of Thoreau, Alan Watts, and doing
                      some Yoga exercises. I bought my first Buddhist book, a translation of
                      the Dhammapada, during a stay in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1973.

                      > I am Thai and live in Bangkok, Thailand. What about
                      you?

                      I thought you were Thai but wondered where you lived. Thanks for
                      telling me. I've never been to Asia but was fortunate to meet a large
                      group of visiting Thai Buddhists (many from Bangkok) in 2002 in
                      Niagara Falls. I'm a Canadian of British ancestry and live in a small
                      cottage on a wooded lot in rural Ontario about a half hour's drive
                      from where I was born and an hour and a half drive north of Toronto.
                      I've been living here since 1988. I took an early retirement in 1979
                      at age 32 so I would have more time to study Pali and Buddhism and to
                      meditate.

                      Best wishes,
                      Jim
                    • icarofranca
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 11, 2004
                        Hi Jim

                        > No I don't mind at all. I'd have to say that my interest in studying
                        > Pali has a lot to do with keeping me interested in Buddhism.

                        It always seemed to me that you´ve read a lot of Books on
                        Pali... I keep with me the Duroseille´s and Narada Thera´s pali
                        couse. But how to find time to keep my reading schedule on ?
                        Sometimes I think that If I had a deep interest on the subject I
                        could find a way to get more time for reading... but keeping my
                        efforts on the present track suits me well too.

                        > I started to learn more about Buddhism in 1972 while boarding with a
                        > Canadian Buddhist family who had a number of interesting books on
                        > Buddhism in their bookcase. Before that, I had been interested in
                        > Oriental religions from my readings of Thoreau, Alan Watts, and
                        doing
                        > some Yoga exercises. I bought my first Buddhist book, a translation
                        of
                        > the Dhammapada, during a stay in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1973.

                        ^_^ A very prosaic begining! I am an Yoga practitioner too!

                        > I thought you were Thai but wondered where you lived. Thanks for
                        > telling me. I've never been to Asia but was fortunate to meet a
                        large
                        > group of visiting Thai Buddhists (many from Bangkok) in 2002 in
                        > Niagara Falls. I'm a Canadian of British ancestry and live in a
                        small
                        > cottage on a wooded lot in rural Ontario about a half hour's drive
                        > from where I was born and an hour and a half drive north of Toronto.
                        > I've been living here since 1988. I took an early retirement in 1979
                        > at age 32 so I would have more time to study Pali and Buddhism and
                        > meditate.

                        Are you formally initiated on Buddhism - taking the five precepts
                        and so on ? You seems to be a kind of Lone Ranger of Dhamma, the
                        solitaire Dhamma Reader of Northern Canada, where the marigolds
                        blossom up!

                        Mettaya, Ícaro
                      • Jim Anderson
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 12, 2004
                          Hi Icaro,

                          Icaro:

                          It always seemed to me that you´ve read a lot of Books on
                          Pali... I keep with me the Duroseille´s and Narada Thera´s pali
                          couse. But how to find time to keep my reading schedule on ?
                          Sometimes I think that If I had a deep interest on the subject I
                          could find a way to get more time for reading... but keeping my
                          efforts on the present track suits me well too.

                          Jim:

                          I think you're right. It's easier to make more time for a subject
                          you're already deeply interested in. If one doesn't have the level of
                          interest needed, then that is something that one can work on and
                          nurture over the years.

                          Icaro:

                          Are you formally initiated on Buddhism - taking the five precepts
                          and so on ? You seems to be a kind of Lone Ranger of Dhamma, the
                          solitaire Dhamma Reader of Northern Canada, where the marigolds
                          blossom up!

                          Jim:

                          I don't know if I'm formally initiated but on several occasions I have
                          undertaken the triple refuge and the five precepts in the presence of
                          an ordained one. Never thought of this as being an initiation though.
                          In the early years, I was initiated into a couple of the Tibetan
                          practices which I only did for a short period of time before reverting
                          back to the Theravada. I sometimes think of myself as a Buddhist
                          hermit (or lone wolf) on the edge of the Canadian wilderness. I used
                          to go and stay at a Buddhist retreat centre on 400 acres of wilderness
                          up until 1992 but I've been a loner for the greater part of my life
                          and I'm not in regular contact with any other Canadian Buddhist.

                          I recently read that you'll be visiting Canada soon which I hope will
                          be a pleasant experience for you.

                          Best wishes,
                          Jim
                        • icarofranca
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 13, 2004
                            Hi Jim...

                            > I recently read that you'll be visiting Canada soon which I hope
                            >will
                            > be a pleasant experience for you.

                            As a military officer my free time is a very strict one. I will
                            take vacancies only at January and probably I will go to Bangkok and
                            meet Sarah, Jon and the rest of the gang... or to Canada if I take it
                            by july, to see the Canada's marigolds blossom up, the beautiful
                            Northern Canada wilderness and meet Dudley Do-Right(hyphenized!!!) in
                            person (heheh...just kidding).
                            Meanwhile... I will continue my Pali studies. What do you think if
                            I buy the Warden's pali manual ? It could be a mean term between the
                            Duroseille's and Narada Thera's works!!!

                            Best wishes, Jim!!!

                            Mettaya, Ícaro
                          • Jim Anderson
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 13, 2004
                              Hi Icaro,

                              Icaro:
                              Meanwhile... I will continue my Pali studies. What do you think if
                              I buy the Warden's pali manual ? It could be a mean term between the
                              Duroseille's and Narada Thera's works!!!

                              Jim:
                              I think you'd do well to buy Warder's Introduction to Pali. It's
                              cheaper if you get it in the paperback form. This is the book that I
                              started with and I still continue to use it. Duroiselle's A Practical
                              Grammar of the Pali Language is a good reference work to have at hand
                              too. I haven't worked much with Narada's primer but between the two
                              I'd prefer Warder's although some people find the latter too difficult
                              to start with. May you continue with your Pali studies.

                              Best wishes,
                              Jim