Re: [Pali] Buddhaghosa College of Pali Studies

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 6, 2004
      Dear Phra Dhammanando,

      The Thai characters appear as gibberish on the Mahachula Buddhaghosa website. How do
      I get the Thai characters correctly.

      I studied at the Mahachula during my monk years in Thailand., Brings back many good
      memories.

      Sukhi

      Piya

      dhammanando@... wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > Readers of Thai or of Pali in Thai script may be interested to
      > know that the Buddhaghosa Pali College in Nakhorn Pathom has made
      > a number of its publications available on its website. The
      > intention is to eventually upload all of the grammars and
      > textbooks used in the college's residential BA degree and online
      > correspondence courses. They are being provided chiefly for those
      > who intend to take the correspondence course, but anyone may
      > download the texts free of charge. The grammatical content of
      > these courses is based substantially on that of the Burmese
      > Dhammacariya syllabus introduced to Thailand by Sayadaw U
      > Dhammananda of Wat Tha-ma-o, Lampang.
      >
      > The texts uploaded so far include:
      >
      > Kaccaayana's Grammar (Pali only)
      >
      > Padmaruupasiddhi (Buddhapiya's commentary on Kaccaayana. Pali
      > with Thai trans.)
      >
      > Notes for the Wat Tha-ma-o Pali course (these are in many
      > volumes; so far all the material on sandhi and naama is now
      > available).
      >
      > http://buddhaghosa.mcu.ac.th
      >
      > Best wishes,
      >
      > Dhammanando

      > �
    • dhammanando_bhikkhu
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 6, 2004
        Dear Piya,

        > The Thai characters appear as gibberish on the Mahachula
        > Buddhaghosa website. How do I get the Thai characters correctly.

        On my Macintosh the website appears correctly if I use Netscape
        Communicator 4.77, but is gibberish with Internet Exploder. Even
        with Netscape it took a bit of tweaking to get the characters to
        appear properly.

        See if this works:

        1) Click on the Netscape 'view' menu, go down to 'character set'
        and select 'user-defined'.

        2) Go to 'language preferences' and make sure Thai is at the top of
        the list.

        3) Go to 'font preferences' and select the following options:

        * For the encoding: user-defined

        * Variable-width font: Thonburi (or whatever Thai font you have
        in your system)

        * Fixed width font: Ayutthaya (or whatever you have)

        * 'Use my fonts, over-riding page-specified fonts'

        Then try going to the webpage:

        http://buddhaghosa.mcu.ac.th/

        I hope it works.

        > I studied at the Mahachula during my monk years in Thailand.,
        > Brings back many good memories.

        I used to know the place pretty well. I didn't study there, but
        once spent a year living in Section 5 of Wat Mahathat.

        Best wishes,

        Dhammanando
      • Jim Anderson
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 7, 2004
          Dear Piya,

          To add to Ven. Dhammanando's remarks, I'd like to mention that the
          Thai characters appear correctly on my computer with Windows 95 and
          Internet Explorer 5.5. I don't remember exactly how this font came to
          be installed on my computer but I can think of two possibilities: it
          came about through a pop-up prompt for an installation from Microsoft
          either upon receiving an email message from a Thai friend or while
          visiting the budsir.org website. At any rate, it was all done
          automatically after clicking on the ok button.

          You can also access the pdf files on the Buddhaghosa College's website
          by going directly to the pdf directory at:
          http://buddhaghosa.mcu.ac.th/pdf/ . There, you will see a listing of
          the pdf files with names in Roman characters, any of which can be
          downloaded eg. Kaccaayana's grammatical suttas are in gajjayana.pdf.
          Hope this helps.

          Best wishes,
          Jim

          > Dear Piya,
          >
          > > The Thai characters appear as gibberish on the Mahachula
          > > Buddhaghosa website. How do I get the Thai characters correctly.
          >
          > On my Macintosh the website appears correctly if I use Netscape
          > Communicator 4.77, but is gibberish with Internet Exploder. Even
          > with Netscape it took a bit of tweaking to get the characters to
          > appear properly.
          >
          > See if this works:
          >
          > 1) Click on the Netscape 'view' menu, go down to 'character set'
          > and select 'user-defined'.
          >
          > 2) Go to 'language preferences' and make sure Thai is at the top of
          > the list.
          >
          > 3) Go to 'font preferences' and select the following options:
          >
          > * For the encoding: user-defined
          >
          > * Variable-width font: Thonburi (or whatever Thai font you have
          > in your system)
          >
          > * Fixed width font: Ayutthaya (or whatever you have)
          >
          > * 'Use my fonts, over-riding page-specified fonts'
          >
          > Then try going to the webpage:
          >
          > http://buddhaghosa.mcu.ac.th/
          >
          > I hope it works.
          >

          > > I studied at the Mahachula during my monk years in Thailand.,
          > > Brings back many good memories.
          >

          > I used to know the place pretty well. I didn't study there, but
          > once spent a year living in Section 5 of Wat Mahathat.
          >
          > Best wishes,
          >
          > Dhammanando
        • Kittiphol
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 7, 2004
            Dear Mr. Anderson,

            My name is Kittiphol and I am a new member in Pali Group as well.
            After following-up to the link below and tried downloading
            gajjayana.pdf It shows that the file is damaged and could not be
            repaired.

            Some of pdf listings which I enter to see the content inside are not
            completed. They showed only the introduction and no more explanation of

            any grammatical theory.

            Kindly suggest.

            Best regards,
            Kittiphol

            You can also access the pdf files on the Buddhaghosa College's website
            by going directly to the pdf directory at:
            http://buddhaghosa.mcu.ac.th/pdf/ . There, you will see a listing of
            the pdf files with names in Roman characters, any of which can be
            downloaded eg. Kaccaayana's grammatical suttas are in gajjayana.pdf.
            Hope this helps.

            To add to Ven. Dhammanando's remarks, I'd like to mention that the
            Thai characters appear correctly on my computer with Windows 95 and
            Internet Explorer 5.5. I don't remember exactly how this font came to
            be installed on my computer but I can think of two possibilities: it
            came about through a pop-up prompt for an installation from Microsoft
            either upon receiving an email message from a Thai friend or while
            visiting the budsir.org website. At any rate, it was all done
            automatically after clicking on the ok button.

            You can also access the pdf files on the Buddhaghosa College's website
            by going directly to the pdf directory at:
            http://buddhaghosa.mcu.ac.th/pdf/ . There, you will see a listing of
            the pdf files with names in Roman characters, any of which can be
            downloaded eg. Kaccaayana's grammatical suttas are in gajjayana.pdf.
            Hope this helps.

            Best wishes,
            Jim

            > Dear Piya,
            >
            > > The Thai characters appear as gibberish on the Mahachula
            > > Buddhaghosa website. How do I get the Thai characters correctly.
            >
            > On my Macintosh the website appears correctly if I use Netscape
            > Communicator 4.77, but is gibberish with Internet Exploder. Even
            > with Netscape it took a bit of tweaking to get the characters to
            > appear properly.
            >
            > See if this works:
            >
            > 1) Click on the Netscape 'view' menu, go down to 'character set'
            > and select 'user-defined'.
            >
            > 2) Go to 'language preferences' and make sure Thai is at the top of
            > the list.
            >
            > 3) Go to 'font preferences' and select the following options:
            >
            > * For the encoding: user-defined
            >
            > * Variable-width font: Thonburi (or whatever Thai font you have
            > in your system)
            >
            > * Fixed width font: Ayutthaya (or whatever you have)
            >
            > * 'Use my fonts, over-riding page-specified fonts'
            >
            > Then try going to the webpage:
            >
            > http://buddhaghosa.mcu.ac.th/
            >
            > I hope it works.
            >

            > > I studied at the Mahachula during my monk years in Thailand.,
            > > Brings back many good memories.
            >

            > I used to know the place pretty well. I didn't study there, but
            > once spent a year living in Section 5 of Wat Mahathat.
            >
            > Best wishes,
            >
            > Dhammanando

            [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
            [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com
            Yahoo! Groups members can set their delivery options to daily digest or
            web only.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129mqmu1f/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/
            D=groups/S=1705073947:HM/EXP=1089344338/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*htt
            p:/companion.yahoo.com> click here

            s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=163794662>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Jim Anderson
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 8, 2004
              Dear Kittiphol,

              Thank-you for pointing out the damaged file. I had first gone to the
              home page and could not see any active link to Kaccaayana's Grammar on
              that page so I asked Ven. Dhammanando about it in an offlist message.
              He then forwarded the gajjayana.pdf file to me. This one is in good
              condition and complete on my Acrobat Reader. I now see that this file
              is a much larger one (154k) than the one listed in the pdf directory
              (32k) and therefore not the same file. I could forward you the
              complete one if you wish. Just let me know.

              Best wishes,
              Jim

              > Dear Mr. Anderson,
              >
              > My name is Kittiphol and I am a new member in Pali Group as well.
              > After following-up to the link below and tried downloading
              > gajjayana.pdf It shows that the file is damaged and could not be
              > repaired.
              >
              > Some of pdf listings which I enter to see the content inside are not
              > completed. They showed only the introduction and no more
              explanation of

              > any grammatical theory.
              >
              > Kindly suggest.
              >
              > Best regards,
              > Kittiphol
            • Kittiphol
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 8, 2004
                Dear Mr. Anderson,

                Thanks so much for you reply.
                I'd love to have it forwarded to me and thanks for this in advance.
                I am just a beginner to this language.. very difficult.
                However, just curious to know that you can read Thai??

                I also don't understand why Buddhaghosa web page didn't put all the
                pages into each topic.
                Still under contruction??

                Finally, thanks again for your kind assistance in this matter.

                Best regards,
                Kittiphol

                Thank-you for pointing out the damaged file. I had first gone to the
                home page and could not see any active link to Kaccaayana's Grammar on
                that page so I asked Ven. Dhammanando about it in an offlist message.
                He then forwarded the gajjayana.pdf file to me. This one is in good
                condition and complete on my Acrobat Reader. I now see that this file
                is a much larger one (154k) than the one listed in the pdf directory
                (32k) and therefore not the same file. I could forward you the
                complete one if you wish. Just let me know.

                Best wishes,
                Jim

                > Dear Mr. Anderson,
                >
                > My name is Kittiphol and I am a new member in Pali Group as well.
                > After following-up to the link below and tried downloading
                > gajjayana.pdf It shows that the file is damaged and could not be
                > repaired.
                >
                > Some of pdf listings which I enter to see the content inside are not
                > completed. They showed only the introduction and no more
                explanation of

                > any grammatical theory.
                >
                > Kindly suggest.
                >
                > Best regards,
                > Kittiphol

                [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
                [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com
                Yahoo! Groups members can set their delivery options to daily digest or
                web only.

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129mjsath/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/
                D=groups/S=1705073947:HM/EXP=1089381267/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*htt
                p:/companion.yahoo.com> click here

                s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=517112430>

                _____

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 8, 2004
                  Dear Phra Dhammanando & Jim,

                  I managed to get into the PDF site thanks to your advice.

                  However, I only managed to get the first few pages. Must be an error with my Acrobat.

                  I will keep on trying & thanks again.

                  Palms together,

                  Piya

                • Jim Anderson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 8, 2004
                    Dear Kittiphol,

                    > Thanks so much for you reply.
                    > I'd love to have it forwarded to me and thanks for this in advance.
                    > I am just a beginner to this language.. very difficult.
                    > However, just curious to know that you can read Thai??

                    In case some of the other members here are also interested in having a
                    copy as well, I thought it would be better to upload the file to my
                    website from which you and anyone else can download it. I only put it
                    there temporarily and the url is:

                    http://ca.geocities.com/palistudy/gajjayana.pdf

                    The pdf file contains only the Kaccaayana suttas in the Thai script.
                    I've only just started to read Pali in the Thai script so I'm really
                    not all that familiar with the script yet. I hardly know anything
                    about the Thai language.

                    > I also don't understand why Buddhaghosa web page didn't put all the
                    > pages into each topic.
                    > Still under contruction??

                    Yes, I think so. The website seems to be needing more work on it and
                    upgrading. It's probably best to visit it every once in a while to see
                    if anything has changed or if any new files of interest have been
                    added.

                    > Finally, thanks again for your kind assistance in this matter.

                    You're very welcome!

                    Best wishes,
                    Jim
                  • Kittiphol
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 9, 2004
                      Dear Mr. Anderson,

                      Thanks so much for your kindness.
                      I have saved the pdf file from your site already.

                      Would you mind telling me what make you feel interested in Buddhism?
                      And when did you start learning Buddhism?

                      I am Thai and live in Bangkok, Thailand. What about you?

                      Have a nice weekend.
                      Kittiphol

                    • Jim Anderson
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 9, 2004
                        Dear Kittiphol,

                        > Would you mind telling me what make you feel interested in Buddhism?

                        No I don't mind at all. I'd have to say that my interest in studying
                        Pali has a lot to do with keeping me interested in Buddhism.

                        > And when did you start learning Buddhism?

                        I started to learn more about Buddhism in 1972 while boarding with a
                        Canadian Buddhist family who had a number of interesting books on
                        Buddhism in their bookcase. Before that, I had been interested in
                        Oriental religions from my readings of Thoreau, Alan Watts, and doing
                        some Yoga exercises. I bought my first Buddhist book, a translation of
                        the Dhammapada, during a stay in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1973.

                        > I am Thai and live in Bangkok, Thailand. What about
                        you?

                        I thought you were Thai but wondered where you lived. Thanks for
                        telling me. I've never been to Asia but was fortunate to meet a large
                        group of visiting Thai Buddhists (many from Bangkok) in 2002 in
                        Niagara Falls. I'm a Canadian of British ancestry and live in a small
                        cottage on a wooded lot in rural Ontario about a half hour's drive
                        from where I was born and an hour and a half drive north of Toronto.
                        I've been living here since 1988. I took an early retirement in 1979
                        at age 32 so I would have more time to study Pali and Buddhism and to
                        meditate.

                        Best wishes,
                        Jim
                      • icarofranca
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 11, 2004
                          Hi Jim

                          > No I don't mind at all. I'd have to say that my interest in studying
                          > Pali has a lot to do with keeping me interested in Buddhism.

                          It always seemed to me that you´ve read a lot of Books on
                          Pali... I keep with me the Duroseille´s and Narada Thera´s pali
                          couse. But how to find time to keep my reading schedule on ?
                          Sometimes I think that If I had a deep interest on the subject I
                          could find a way to get more time for reading... but keeping my
                          efforts on the present track suits me well too.

                          > I started to learn more about Buddhism in 1972 while boarding with a
                          > Canadian Buddhist family who had a number of interesting books on
                          > Buddhism in their bookcase. Before that, I had been interested in
                          > Oriental religions from my readings of Thoreau, Alan Watts, and
                          doing
                          > some Yoga exercises. I bought my first Buddhist book, a translation
                          of
                          > the Dhammapada, during a stay in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1973.

                          ^_^ A very prosaic begining! I am an Yoga practitioner too!

                          > I thought you were Thai but wondered where you lived. Thanks for
                          > telling me. I've never been to Asia but was fortunate to meet a
                          large
                          > group of visiting Thai Buddhists (many from Bangkok) in 2002 in
                          > Niagara Falls. I'm a Canadian of British ancestry and live in a
                          small
                          > cottage on a wooded lot in rural Ontario about a half hour's drive
                          > from where I was born and an hour and a half drive north of Toronto.
                          > I've been living here since 1988. I took an early retirement in 1979
                          > at age 32 so I would have more time to study Pali and Buddhism and
                          > meditate.

                          Are you formally initiated on Buddhism - taking the five precepts
                          and so on ? You seems to be a kind of Lone Ranger of Dhamma, the
                          solitaire Dhamma Reader of Northern Canada, where the marigolds
                          blossom up!

                          Mettaya, Ícaro
                        • Jim Anderson
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 12, 2004
                            Hi Icaro,

                            Icaro:

                            It always seemed to me that you´ve read a lot of Books on
                            Pali... I keep with me the Duroseille´s and Narada Thera´s pali
                            couse. But how to find time to keep my reading schedule on ?
                            Sometimes I think that If I had a deep interest on the subject I
                            could find a way to get more time for reading... but keeping my
                            efforts on the present track suits me well too.

                            Jim:

                            I think you're right. It's easier to make more time for a subject
                            you're already deeply interested in. If one doesn't have the level of
                            interest needed, then that is something that one can work on and
                            nurture over the years.

                            Icaro:

                            Are you formally initiated on Buddhism - taking the five precepts
                            and so on ? You seems to be a kind of Lone Ranger of Dhamma, the
                            solitaire Dhamma Reader of Northern Canada, where the marigolds
                            blossom up!

                            Jim:

                            I don't know if I'm formally initiated but on several occasions I have
                            undertaken the triple refuge and the five precepts in the presence of
                            an ordained one. Never thought of this as being an initiation though.
                            In the early years, I was initiated into a couple of the Tibetan
                            practices which I only did for a short period of time before reverting
                            back to the Theravada. I sometimes think of myself as a Buddhist
                            hermit (or lone wolf) on the edge of the Canadian wilderness. I used
                            to go and stay at a Buddhist retreat centre on 400 acres of wilderness
                            up until 1992 but I've been a loner for the greater part of my life
                            and I'm not in regular contact with any other Canadian Buddhist.

                            I recently read that you'll be visiting Canada soon which I hope will
                            be a pleasant experience for you.

                            Best wishes,
                            Jim
                          • icarofranca
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 13, 2004
                              Hi Jim...

                              > I recently read that you'll be visiting Canada soon which I hope
                              >will
                              > be a pleasant experience for you.

                              As a military officer my free time is a very strict one. I will
                              take vacancies only at January and probably I will go to Bangkok and
                              meet Sarah, Jon and the rest of the gang... or to Canada if I take it
                              by july, to see the Canada's marigolds blossom up, the beautiful
                              Northern Canada wilderness and meet Dudley Do-Right(hyphenized!!!) in
                              person (heheh...just kidding).
                              Meanwhile... I will continue my Pali studies. What do you think if
                              I buy the Warden's pali manual ? It could be a mean term between the
                              Duroseille's and Narada Thera's works!!!

                              Best wishes, Jim!!!

                              Mettaya, Ícaro
                            • Jim Anderson
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 13, 2004
                                Hi Icaro,

                                Icaro:
                                Meanwhile... I will continue my Pali studies. What do you think if
                                I buy the Warden's pali manual ? It could be a mean term between the
                                Duroseille's and Narada Thera's works!!!

                                Jim:
                                I think you'd do well to buy Warder's Introduction to Pali. It's
                                cheaper if you get it in the paperback form. This is the book that I
                                started with and I still continue to use it. Duroiselle's A Practical
                                Grammar of the Pali Language is a good reference work to have at hand
                                too. I haven't worked much with Narada's primer but between the two
                                I'd prefer Warder's although some people find the latter too difficult
                                to start with. May you continue with your Pali studies.

                                Best wishes,
                                Jim