Re: Addiction to Disputation

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2004
      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Brooks <jhanananda@y...> wrote:
      > Addiction to Disputation
      >
      > While leading a local sutta study class I was recently
      > reminded that the first sutta in the Digha Nikaya, the
      > Brahmajala Sutta, deals with "What the Teaching is
      > not." And, one of the things that the Buddha's
      > teaching is not is addiction to disputation.

      Hi Jeff,

      That's a good point to bring up. I have noticed that Westerners in
      particular seem to be quite addicted to disputation. We wallow in it,
      drink it up, and bathe in it, all in the name of satisfying our
      'intellect'.

      It maybe a 'symptom' of the way we are educated. But, as far as I can
      tell, this addiction just seems to be more of Mara's materialistic
      bait.

      Before anybody gets excited, I am a Westerner also and have had
      problems with this addiction in the past. But I have seem to have
      unshackled myself from it as of late, as I am more inclined to
      meditation and solitude these days. And I have come to realize that
      all the debate, dispute and talk does nothing but leave me tired,
      distracted and agitated for the most part.

      May you all be happy and achieve the highest bliss,
      Bill