Re: [Pali] Re: Patisambhidamagga - khanti

  • nina van gorkom
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 4, 2004
      Venerable Bhante Dhammanando,
      Rober wrote:
      > I was able to find one reference where khanti is defined as both
      > acceptance (or endurance) of bothe the desirable and undedesirable.
      > It is in Dhammapala's commentary to the Cariyapitaka:
      > http://www.abhidhamma.org/Paramis-%20perfections%20of%20insight.htm
      > "Patience[khanti] has the characteristic of acceptance; its function
      > is to endure the desirable and undesirable; its manifestation is
      > tolerance or non-opposition; seeing things as they really are is its
      > proximate cause."
      N: I like to note the proximate cause: insight. The development of paññaa is
      ciira kala bhaavana, it takes endless patience. This is an aspect of
      patience that, as I see it, is very important. Thus, there is far more to it
      than adhivasana. But even enduring heat and cold is with developed paññaa.
      All objects are just nama and rupa, one does not mind what object impinges.
      You mention upekkhaa, but I think also patience is necessary to reach such
      equanimity. I like the text: patience is the highest ascetism. As to jhaana:
      a great deal of patience is required. Also maintaining jhaana, developing
      all the vasiis, and taking care that jhaana does not decline. We need
      patience in the study of Dhamma, to listen to it, to investigate it, to
      develop vipassanaa in whatever situation.