AN Translations

  • Yuttadhammo
    Message 1 of 366 , Jun 11, 2004
      > Does anyone know of any software capable of translating this:
      > http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/
      > gretil/2_pali/1_tipit/2_sut/5_khudd/patisa1u.htm
      > into somewhat readable English?

      Now that would be a good project - put the computers to work translating so we can go meditate :)

      Sadly, I am no programmer, but I am learning to translate myself. The Patisambhidamagga would be a good one to translate, because
      it is excellent and not freely distributed in English that I know of. Maybe Nanamoli left some translation behind - any word on
      that? Otherwise, it is always good, I suppose, to support the PTS in their work. Can't be too expensive, and it is well-bound and
      well-translated (maybe Nanamoli, come to think of it...)

      Nina - Thanks for the comments, and the Thai :)

      I am thinking about "anikkhittadhuro". In Thailand they always talk about the two "dhuras" - gantha dhura and vipassana dhura.
      Maybe: "not giving up the duties"

      >N: A possibility: He does not put down the burden or task, or: he does not
      >relinquish his task and strives for the increase of wholesome dhammas.(In my
      >Thai edition: jom payayaam hai jing khyn)

      The Thai is funny - not out of fault, but because of course the language is so different :) it gets the sense across, but is unable
      to preserve the structure. I didn't understand the word "jom" - is that "yom" as in "allow, go for"?

      I would appreciate any suggestions about the "yathaabhata'm nikkhitto" - maybe it means: "as if [someone] took him (acc.) and he was
      dropped (nom.)" Is that possible? Either way, the meaning, I think, is clear.

      Here is AN 6.8.9 - "sacchikaatu'm" is a funny one - "to do (see) with one's own eyes" might be literal, no? Any better suggestions
      than "to realise"? Also, I have rendered "(an)ottappii" as "(un)concerned" rather than "one (not) possessing moral dread" or some
      such construction. Finally, "kaaye ca jiivite ca saapekkho hoti" is here rendered as "is one who yearns in regards to the body and
      in regards to life" - but the word "saapekkho" isn't familiar to me, and it may have a different connotation - I followed CPED's
      "longing for".

      A'nguttaranikaayo

      Chakkanipaatapaa.li

      8. Arahattavaggo

      9. Aggadhammasutta'm

      "Chahi, bhikkhave, dhammehi samannaagato bhikkhu abhabbo agga'm dhamma'm arahatta'm sacchikaatu'm.

      /With six/oh monks/dhammas/endowed/a monk/unable/highest/Dhamma/Arahantship/to realise for himself /

      With six, oh monks, dhammas endowed, a monks is unable to realise the highest Dhamma, Arahantship.

      Katamehi chahi? Idha, bhikkhave, bhikkhu assaddho hoti, ahiriko hoti, anottappii hoti, kusiito hoti, duppañño hoti, kaaye ca jiivite
      ca saapekkho hoti.

      /With which /six /here /oh monks /a monk /uncertain /is /shameless /is /unconcerned /is /lazy /is /unwise /is /in body /and /in life
      /one who yearns /is/

      With which six? Here, oh monks, a monk is uncertain, is shameless, is unconcerned, is lazy, is unwise, is one who yearns in regards
      to the body and in regards to life.

      Imehi kho, bhikkhave, chahi dhammehi samannaagato bhikkhu abhabbo agga'm dhamma'm arahatta'm sacchikaatu'm.

      /With these /indeed /oh monks /six /dhammas /endowed /a monk /unable /highest /Dhamma /Arahantship /to realise /

      Indeed, with these, oh monks, six dhammas endowed, a monks is unable to realise the highest Dhamma, Arahantship.

      "Chahi, bhikkhave, dhammehi samannaagato bhikkhu bhabbo agga'm dhamma'm arahatta'm sacchikaatu'm.

      /With six /oh monks /dhammas /endowed /a monk /able /highest /Dhamma /Arahantship /to realise /

      With six, oh monks, dhammas endowed, a monks is able to realise the highest Dhamma, Arahantship.

      Katamehi chahi? Idha bhikkhave, bhikkhu saddho hoti, hirimaa hoti, ottappii hoti, aaraddhaviiriyo hoti, paññavaa hoti, kaaye ca
      jiivite ca anapekkho hoti.

      /With which /six /here /oh monks /a monk /certain /is /ashamed /is /concerned /is /resolutely energetic/is /wise /is /in body /and
      /in life /one unyearning /is /

      With which six? Here, oh monks, a monk is certain, is ashamed, is concerned, is resolutely energetic, is wise, is one unyearning in
      regards to the body and in regards to life.

      Imehi kho, bhikkhave chahi dhammehi samannaagato bhikkhu bhabbo agga'm dhamma'm arahatta'm sacchikaatun"ti.

      /With these /indeed /oh monks /six /dhammas /endowed /a monk /able /highest /Dhamma /Arahantship /to realise /

      Indeed, with these, oh monks, six dhammas endowed, a monks is able to realise the highest Dhamma, Arahantship.
    • nina van gorkom
      Message 366 of 366 , Aug 17 11:20 AM

        I found this in my concepts file not sent. So, I send it now, though
        belated (29 July). I cannot remember whether I sent it, but I do not
        see it in the messages.

        Nina.
        op 07-06-2006 08:45 schreef Ong Yong Peng op pali.smith@...:

        please advise on the word: aruupasa~n~nii

        21-25. Saddhindriya.m bhaaveti... viiriyindriya.m bhaaveti...
        satindriya.m bhaaveti... samaadhindriya.m bhaaveti...
        pa~n~nindriya.m bhaaveti....

        21-25. Saddhindriya.m bhaaveti... viiriyindriya.m bhaaveti...
        satindriya.m bhaaveti... samaadhindriya.m bhaaveti...
        pa~n~nindriya.m bhaaveti....
        ["O monks, if a monk] developed the faculty of faith (faculty of
        energy, faculty of mindfulness, faculty of concentration, faculty of
        wisdom), [even for the duration of a finger-snap, monks, such is
        said...]
        ------
        N: such a one is said...
        --------

        31-37. Satisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... dhammavicayasambojjha`nga.m
        bhaaveti... viiriyasambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... piitisambojjha`nga.m
        bhaaveti... passaddhisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti...
        samaadhisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... upekkhaasambojjha`nga.m
        bhaaveti....

        ["O monks, if a monk] developed the mindfulness (doctrinal
        investigation,
        ------
        N: Investigation of Dhamma.
        -------

        38-45. Sammaadi.t.thi.m bhaaveti... sammaasa`nkappa.m bhaaveti...
        sammaavaaca.m bhaaveti... sammaakammanta.m bhaaveti... sammaa-
        aajiiva.m bhaaveti... sammaavaayaama.m bhaaveti... sammaasati.m
        bhaaveti... sammaasamaadhi.m bhaaveti....
        ["O monks, if a monk] developed right view (right intention, right
        speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right
        mindfulness, right concentration), [even for the duration of a
        finger-snap, monks, such is said...]
        -------
        N: sammaasa`nkappa.m: instead of right intention: right thinking.

        Intention is usually reserved for the term cetanaa, volition or kamma
        which
        is not a factor of the eightfold Path.
        Sammaadi.t.thi and sammaasa`nkappa are together called the wisdom of the
        eightfold Path. Sammaasa`nkappa is vitakka cetasika and it assists
        paññaa in
        'touching' or striking the object of understanding so that paññaa can
        know
        it.

        46-53. Ajjhatta.m ruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani passati
        parittaani suva.n.nadubba.n.naani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami
        passaamii'ti -- eva.msa~n~nii hoti...
        ["O monks, if a monk, even for the duration of a finger-snap,]
        conscious of material forms arising from within,
        -------
        N: ajjhatta: I would eliminate arising, thus: within himself.
        I think materiality of his own body.
        He can develop kasinas taking as subject parts of his own body or
        external
        objects and then attain ruupa-jhaana.
        --------

        * appamaa.na (adj) endless, immeasurable, boundless, unlimited.
        ------
        N: here is allusion to the immaterial jhaanas, and here is the
        connection
        with the term aruupasa~n~nin.
        I consulted Dhammasangani Pali, 225: this has aruupasa~n~na. This is
        translated by PTS as: unconscious of any part of his corporeal self..

        The *a* is a negation of ruupasa~n~nin, not of ruupa, thus, not
        perceiving
        ruupa, materiality, of his own body. (See below the Atthasaalinii).
        The word unconscious seems misleading.
        ---------
        Ajjhatta.m aruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani passati parittaani
        suva.n.nadubba.n.naani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami passaamii'ti --
        eva.msa~n~nii hoti...

        ["O monks, if a monk, even for the duration of a finger-snap,]
        conscious of immaterial forms arising from within,
        ------
        N: immaterial forms: this is a contradiction.
        It could be: not conscious of material forms of his own body...
        This could be applied of all the following paras. These paras seem to
        refer
        to the colour kasinas of ruupa-jhaana.

        The Atthasaalinii, Co. to the Dhammasangani, explains (188) these
        'positions
        of mastery'.
        <'Not perceiving material quality in himself' means devoid of the
        perception
        of the preamble in his own bodily frame, either from not getting it,
        or from
        not wishing it.
        'Sees material qualities external to himself' means, from having
        performed
        the preamble externally in the eight devices, he sees with jhaana-
        eyes the
        external objects of these eight devices by virtue of the preamble and
        the
        extasy.
        'Limited' means not growing....
        Beautiful or ugly means pure or impure colours...>

        It is asked why it is said, Not perceiving material quality in
        himself, this
        is because his own body is not to be mastered, only external objects...
        *****