Re: [Pali] Re: CSCD to text file conversion utility

  • Phra Noah Yuttadhammo
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 10, 2004

      > I have it, but don't use it. What might be useful is a utility that
      > converted the files to Unicode.

      Dear Bhante Pesala,

      Greetings venerable sir :) I just want to let you and others know that Mr. Snow's utility DOES convert the files to Unicode. I
      just downloaded the file cscdconv3.zip and successfully converted the files to UTF-8 Unicode.

      Best wishes,

      Yuttadhammo (Phra Noah)

      Chom Tong Insight Meditation Center
      Wat Phradhatu Sri Chom Tong Voravihara
      T. Ban Luang, A. Chom Tong
      Chiang Mai, Thailand, 50160
      Website: - www.sirimangalo.org
      Tel: (66 - int'l.) (0 - in Thailand) 53 342 184
    • Bhikkhu Pesala
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 11, 2004
        Thanks for the info. The utility is very simple to use, and as you say, it
        does already convert to Unicode or other formats. I could not believe how
        fast it was. Converting the Patisambhidamagga took about 2 seconds.

        It requires the Indic Times Font, which can be downloaded from:

        http://jbe.gold.ac.uk/fonts/tcrUnicode.TTF

        It views OK in Internet Explorer, but one cannot enlarge the font. Display
        in Opera is poor, though one can then zoom in. One would need to modify
        the stylesheet I suspect, though I wouldn't know how to do this.
      • Bhikkhu Pesala
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 12, 2004
          I figured out how to edit the style sheet. The problem lies with the Indic
          Times font. I also find 12pt rather small for body text, so I enlarged it
          to 16pt and changed the font to my own Unicode Optimist. This is the
          revised style sheet, which is suitable for Opera or Internet Explorer.
          Copy the text and save it as tipitaka4.css after backing up the original.
          It needs to be in the same directory as the converted HTML files. You
          could replace "Unicode Optimist" with the font of your choice such as
          "TITUS Cyberbit Basic."

          /* This is the stylesheet for Roman UTF-8 Unicode encoding.
          */

          body { font-family:"Unicode Optimist";
          background:white; }

          SPAN {}
          .variant {color: blue}

          p {
          border-top: 0in; border-bottom: 0in;
          padding-top: 0in; padding-bottom: 0in;
          margin-top: 0in; margin-bottom: 0.5cm;
          }
          /* */
          .c01 { font-size: 16pt; text-indent: 2em; margin-bottom: 0em;}

          .c02 { font-size: 16pt;}

          .c03 { font-size: 16pt; text-indent: 2em;}

          /* Namo tassa, and nitthita -- no unique structural distinction */
          .c06 { font-size: 16pt; text-align:center;}

          /* Unindented text */
          .c07 { font-size: 16pt;}

          /* Book */
          .c10 { font-size: 21pt; text-align:center; font-weight: bold;}

          /* Sutta */
          .c11 { font-size: 18pt; text-align:center; font-weight: bold;}

          /* Nikaaya */
          .c12 { font-size: 24pt; text-align:center; font-weight: bold;}

          /* Section (above 14)*/
          .c13 { font-size: 16pt; text-align:center; font-weight: bold;}

          /* Section */
          .c14 { font-size: 16pt; text-align:center; font-weight: bold;}

          /* Gatha line */
          .c21 { font-size: 16pt; text-indent: 4em; margin-bottom: 0em;}

          /* Gatha line */
          .c22 { font-size: 16pt; text-indent: 7em; margin-bottom: 0.5cm;}

          /* Gatha line */
          .c26 { font-size: 16pt; text-indent: 4em; margin-bottom: 0em;}

          /* Gatha line */
          .c27 { font-size: 16pt; text-indent: 7em; margin-bottom: 0em;}

          /*DN Muula Structure
          {
          06 Namo tassa..
          12 Nikaaya
          10 Book
          }

          |___11 Sutta
          | |
          | |___14 Section
          | |
          | |___ Text paras (01,02,03,07), gathas (21,22,26,27), various
          nitthitas (06)

          |___11 Sutta
          (etc.)

          */