Re: Sutta translation

  • nina van gorkom
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2004
      here is my translation. I follow the triple lineair method.

      Gradual Sayings (III, Book of the Fives, Ch XXI, Kimbila,
      § 2, ³On hearing Dhamma²).
      > (21) 1. Kimbilavaggo, 2. Dhammassavanasutta.m

      > 202. <Pa~ncime bhikkhave, aanisa.msaa dhammassavane.
      /five/ /monks/ /benefits/ /dhamma hearing/
      Monks, there are five benefits in listening to the Dhamma.

      Katame pa~nca?
      Which five?

      > Assuta.m su.naati suta.m pariyodaapeti, ka'nkha.m vitarati
      /not heard/he hears/heard/he purifies/ /doubt/ he dispels/
      He hears what he had not heard before, he purifies what he had heard, he
      dispels doubt,

      di.t.thi.m uju.m karoti, cittamassa pasiidati.
      /view/ straight/he makes/ the mind of him/becomes calm
      he straightens his view, and his mind becomes calm.

      Ime kho, bhikkhave, pa~nca aanisa.msaa dhammassavane>ti.
      /these indeed/monks/five/ benefits/ in hearing Dhamma
      Monks, these are truly the five benefits in listening to the Dhamma.

      Remarks:
      The practice of the Dhamma begins with listening.
      Assuta.m su.naati: he hears what he did not hear before. The Buddha's
      teaching is completely different from all other teachings. The Buddha taught
      anattaa, non-self.
      suta.m pariyodaapeti: he purifies what he had heard. One may not fully
      understand what one heard before. The Dhamma is subtle and deep, one has to
      listen and consider it again and again.
      ka"nkha.m vitarati:he dispels doubt. He may have doubt about the Buddha, the
      Dhamma and the Sangha, about the way leading to the end of defilements. By
      the development of the eightfold Path his understanding grows. He becomes
      more assured that this is the only way. Doubt will be completely eradicated
      at the first stage of enlightenment, the stage of the sotaapanna.
      di.t.thi.m uju.m karoti, he straightens his view. Di.t.thuju kamma, the
      straightening of one's view is one of the ten kusala kamma pattha. This can
      go together with all kinds of kusala. For example, when we develop metta, we
      are bound to take selfish affection for metta. We are bound to take akusala
      for kusala when there is no panna that knows their different
      characteristics. Or one may take the wrong Path for the right Path. One may
      not know that the objects of sati and pa~n~naa are whatever naama or ruupa
      appears through one of the six doorways, through the five sense-doors and
      the mind-door.
      Cittamassa pasiidati, his mind becomes calm. Passaddhi is the cetasika that
      is calm, and it arises with each kusala citta. When the citta is kusala, one
      is at that moment free from akusala, not disturbed by akusala, and this is
      calm. Listening to the Dhamma and considering it is bhaavanaa, mental
      development. It is kusala kamma accompanied by pa~n~naa and by calm. There
      are many degrees of calm. Listening to the Dhamma and the practice in
      accordance with the Dhamma can lead to the highest calm: the eradication of
      all defilements.