Re: [Pali] AN Translations

  • Phra Noah Yuttadhammo
    Message 1 of 366 , Jun 4, 2004
      Dear Friends,

      Here is AN 6.8.5. No real problems with this one, though I still hope (mindfully) for the criticism of those more skilled in Pali translation.

      Best wishes,

      Yuttadhammo
      Chom Tong Insight Meditation Center
      Wat Phradhatu Sri Chom Tong Voravihara
      T. Ban Luang, A. Chom Tong
      Chiang Mai, Thailand, 50160
      Website: - www.sirimangalo.org
      Tel: (66 - int'l.) (0 - in Thailand) 53 342 184

      A'nguttaranikaayo

      Chakkanipaatapaa.li

      8. Arahattavaggo

      5. Adhigamasutta'm

      "Chahi, bhikkhave, dhammehi samannaagato bhikkhu abhabbo anadhigata'm vaa kusala'm dhamma'm adhigantu'm, adhigata'm vaa kusala'm dhamma'm phaati'm kaatu'm.

      With six, oh monks, dhammas endowed, a monk is unable either to attain unattained wholesome Dhamma or to make an increase in attained wholesome Dhamma.

      Katamehi chahi? Idha, bhikkhave, bhikkhu na aayakusalo ca hoti, na apaayakusalo ca hoti, na upaayakusalo ca hoti, anadhigataana'm kusalaana'm dhammaana'm adhigamaaya na chanda'm janeti, adhigate kusale dhamme na aarakkhati, saataccakiriyaaya na sampaadeti.

      With which six? Here, oh monks, a monk is not wholesome in gaining, is not wholesome in losing, is not wholesome in using, does not bring forth zeal (chanda) for the attaining of unattained wholesome dhammas, does not safeguard attained wholesome dhammas, does not strive on with persevering endeavour.

      Imehi kho, bhikkhave, chahi dhammehi samannaagato bhikkhu abhabbo anadhigata'm vaa kusala'm dhamma'm adhigantu'm, adhigata'm vaa kusala'm dhamma'm phaati'm kaatu'm.

      Indeed, with these six, oh monks, dhammas endowed, a monk is unable either to attain unattained wholesome Dhamma or to make an increase in attained wholesome Dhamma.

      "Chahi, bhikkhave, dhammehi samannaagato bhikkhu bhabbo anadhigata'm vaa kusala'm dhamma'm adhigantu'm, adhigata'm vaa kusala'm dhamma'm phaati'm kaatu'm.

      With six, oh monks, dhammas endowed, a monk is able either to attain unattained wholesome Dhamma or to make an increase in attained wholesome Dhamma.

      Katamehi chahi? Idha, bhikkhave, bhikkhu aayakusalo ca hoti, apaayakusalo ca hoti, upaayakusalo ca hoti, anadhigataana'm kusalaana'm dhammaana'm adhigamaaya chanda'm janeti, adhigate kusale dhamme aarakkhati, saataccakiriyaaya sampaadeti.

      With which six? Here, oh monks, a monk is wholesome in gaining, is wholesome in losing, is wholesome in using, brings forth zeal (chanda) for the attaining of unattained wholesome dhammas, safeguards attained wholesome dhammas, strives on with persevering endeavour.

      Imehi kho, bhikkhave, chahi dhammehi samannaagato bhikkhu bhabbo anadhigata'm vaa kusala'm dhamma'm adhigantu'm, adhigata'm vaa kusala'm dhamma'm phaati'm kaatun"ti.

      Indeed, with these six, oh monks, dhammas endowed, a monk is able either to attain unattained wholesome Dhamma or to make an increase in attained wholesome Dhamma.

    • nina van gorkom
      Message 366 of 366 , Aug 17, 2006

        I found this in my concepts file not sent. So, I send it now, though
        belated (29 July). I cannot remember whether I sent it, but I do not
        see it in the messages.

        Nina.
        op 07-06-2006 08:45 schreef Ong Yong Peng op pali.smith@...:

        please advise on the word: aruupasa~n~nii

        21-25. Saddhindriya.m bhaaveti... viiriyindriya.m bhaaveti...
        satindriya.m bhaaveti... samaadhindriya.m bhaaveti...
        pa~n~nindriya.m bhaaveti....

        21-25. Saddhindriya.m bhaaveti... viiriyindriya.m bhaaveti...
        satindriya.m bhaaveti... samaadhindriya.m bhaaveti...
        pa~n~nindriya.m bhaaveti....
        ["O monks, if a monk] developed the faculty of faith (faculty of
        energy, faculty of mindfulness, faculty of concentration, faculty of
        wisdom), [even for the duration of a finger-snap, monks, such is
        said...]
        ------
        N: such a one is said...
        --------

        31-37. Satisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... dhammavicayasambojjha`nga.m
        bhaaveti... viiriyasambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... piitisambojjha`nga.m
        bhaaveti... passaddhisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti...
        samaadhisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... upekkhaasambojjha`nga.m
        bhaaveti....

        ["O monks, if a monk] developed the mindfulness (doctrinal
        investigation,
        ------
        N: Investigation of Dhamma.
        -------

        38-45. Sammaadi.t.thi.m bhaaveti... sammaasa`nkappa.m bhaaveti...
        sammaavaaca.m bhaaveti... sammaakammanta.m bhaaveti... sammaa-
        aajiiva.m bhaaveti... sammaavaayaama.m bhaaveti... sammaasati.m
        bhaaveti... sammaasamaadhi.m bhaaveti....
        ["O monks, if a monk] developed right view (right intention, right
        speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right
        mindfulness, right concentration), [even for the duration of a
        finger-snap, monks, such is said...]
        -------
        N: sammaasa`nkappa.m: instead of right intention: right thinking.

        Intention is usually reserved for the term cetanaa, volition or kamma
        which
        is not a factor of the eightfold Path.
        Sammaadi.t.thi and sammaasa`nkappa are together called the wisdom of the
        eightfold Path. Sammaasa`nkappa is vitakka cetasika and it assists
        paññaa in
        'touching' or striking the object of understanding so that paññaa can
        know
        it.

        46-53. Ajjhatta.m ruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani passati
        parittaani suva.n.nadubba.n.naani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami
        passaamii'ti -- eva.msa~n~nii hoti...
        ["O monks, if a monk, even for the duration of a finger-snap,]
        conscious of material forms arising from within,
        -------
        N: ajjhatta: I would eliminate arising, thus: within himself.
        I think materiality of his own body.
        He can develop kasinas taking as subject parts of his own body or
        external
        objects and then attain ruupa-jhaana.
        --------

        * appamaa.na (adj) endless, immeasurable, boundless, unlimited.
        ------
        N: here is allusion to the immaterial jhaanas, and here is the
        connection
        with the term aruupasa~n~nin.
        I consulted Dhammasangani Pali, 225: this has aruupasa~n~na. This is
        translated by PTS as: unconscious of any part of his corporeal self..

        The *a* is a negation of ruupasa~n~nin, not of ruupa, thus, not
        perceiving
        ruupa, materiality, of his own body. (See below the Atthasaalinii).
        The word unconscious seems misleading.
        ---------
        Ajjhatta.m aruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani passati parittaani
        suva.n.nadubba.n.naani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami passaamii'ti --
        eva.msa~n~nii hoti...

        ["O monks, if a monk, even for the duration of a finger-snap,]
        conscious of immaterial forms arising from within,
        ------
        N: immaterial forms: this is a contradiction.
        It could be: not conscious of material forms of his own body...
        This could be applied of all the following paras. These paras seem to
        refer
        to the colour kasinas of ruupa-jhaana.

        The Atthasaalinii, Co. to the Dhammasangani, explains (188) these
        'positions
        of mastery'.
        <'Not perceiving material quality in himself' means devoid of the
        perception
        of the preamble in his own bodily frame, either from not getting it,
        or from
        not wishing it.
        'Sees material qualities external to himself' means, from having
        performed
        the preamble externally in the eight devices, he sees with jhaana-
        eyes the
        external objects of these eight devices by virtue of the preamble and
        the
        extasy.
        'Limited' means not growing....
        Beautiful or ugly means pure or impure colours...>

        It is asked why it is said, Not perceiving material quality in
        himself, this
        is because his own body is not to be mastered, only external objects...
        *****