Re: Fwd: Suggestion [Re: Time to go]

  • connie
    Message 1 of 12 , May 26, 2004

      I'd be happy to convert any of the files to Velthuis and forward them if
      you let me know what you want.

      peace,
      connie

      From: nina van gorkom <nilo@...>
      Subject: Re: Fwd: Suggestion [Re: Time to go]

      Dear Henri, Yong Peng,
      I am glad Henry like the idea too. So, is A.N. best? There are four line
      suttas, and I would like to do one, any one. My only trouble: with my
      iMac
      it takes more time to get a sutta, since I have to decode myself the
      Pali
      signs. Unless a kind soul will help me. Another possibility: a short
      sutta
      from K IV, I have all the Pali here. But B.P.S. and B.Bodhi translated
      them
      all.
      Another idea: Digha Nikaya, my favorite Sangiti Sutta, it has very short
      ones, with co.
      Message 2 of 12 , May 27, 2004
        Dear Nina, Henry, Connie and friends,

        thanks for your positive responses. The original suggestion by Ven.
        Kumara was on SN/AN, particularly those not available on ATI (Access
        to Insight http://www.accesstoinsight.org/). But, I reckon anything
        outside SN/AN is fine. The idea here, I think, is that the selected
        sutta has to be manageable on an individual basis (for most of it).

        metta,
        Yong Peng

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "connie" wrote:
        I'd be happy to convert any of the files to Velthuis and forward them
        if you let me know what you want.

        > From: nina van gorkom <nilo@e...>
        > I am glad Henry like the idea too. So, is A.N. best? There are four
        line suttas, and I would like to do one, any one. My only trouble:
        with my iMac it takes more time to get a sutta, since I have to
        decode myself the Pali signs. Unless a kind soul will help me.
        Another possibility: a short sutta from K IV, I have all the Pali
        here. But B.P.S. and B.Bodhi translated them all.
        > Another idea: Digha Nikaya, my favorite Sangiti Sutta, it has very
        short ones, with co.
      • nina van gorkom
        Message 3 of 12 , May 27, 2004
          Dear Connie,
          Thank you very much, you are very helpful. I appreciate your kusala citta. I
          am just waiting for further suggestions about short suttas to translate from
          the Mod and Bhante Kumara. I think when they are four lines it is O.K. even
          for busy people. I hope Henri and I will not be the only people to venture
          this!
          Nina.

          Message 4 of 12 , May 27, 2004

            You might like to know that I am have been translating suttas from the Samyutta and
            Anguttara, a few of which have been posted at www.dharma.per.sg but all of which are
            found in the Sutta Discovery series used in our daily classes in Singapore.

            I have completed up to Volume 8 of the SD (this volume has been slotted for the 1st
            quarter of 2005 for study). To date Volume 5 is out.

            I will be glad to let you have a CD of the 5 vols (or more depending when we meet
            again).

            Sukhi

            Piya.

            Ong Yong Peng wrote:

            > Dear Nina, Henry, Connie and friends,
            >
            > thanks for your positive responses. The original suggestion by Ven.
            > Kumara was on SN/AN, particularly those not available on ATI (Access
            > to Insight http://www.accesstoinsight.org/). But, I reckon anything
            > outside SN/AN is fine. The idea here, I think, is that the selected
            > sutta has to be manageable on an individual basis (for most of it).
            >
            > metta,
            > Yong Peng
            >
            > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "connie" wrote:
            > I'd be happy to convert any of the files to Velthuis and forward them
            > if you let me know what you want.
            >
            > > From: nina van gorkom <nilo@e...>
            > > I am glad Henry like the idea too. So, is A.N. best? There are four
            > line suttas, and I would like to do one, any one. My only trouble:
            > with my iMac it takes more time to get a sutta, since I have to
            > decode myself the Pali signs. Unless a kind soul will help me.
            > Another possibility: a short sutta from K IV, I have all the Pali
            > here. But B.P.S. and B.Bodhi translated them all.
            > > Another idea: Digha Nikaya, my favorite Sangiti Sutta, it has very
            > short ones, with co.

          • nina van gorkom
            Message 5 of 12 , May 27, 2004
              I am not familiar with ATI, and which suttas are not available there?
              Thanks,
              Nina

              Message 6 of 12 , May 28, 2004
                Dear Piya and friends,

                thanks for that. I am sure many people would benefit from it. It will
                be better if there is some sort of collaboration, to avoid any
                duplication of effort. What do you say?

                metta,
                Yong Peng

                Message 7 of 12 , May 28, 2004
                  Dear Nina and friends,

                  the English suttas on ATI were either translated by Ven. Thanissaro,
                  or those made available in the public domain by BPS. All the suttas
                  are available for free distribution. Many websites have a full
                  duplication of its sutta collection.

                  The list of suttas from SN can be found here:
                  http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/samyutta/index.html

                  The list of suttas from AN can be found here:
                  http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/anguttara/index.html

                  You will notice that the collection is quite small compared to the
                  actual number of suttas in the Nikayas. Even so, ATI has made a great
                  contribution in two ways. First, by making English Tipitaka
                  translations free to all, and second, by offering alternative
                  translations to those currently available in printed form.

                  metta,
                  Yong Peng

                  I am not familiar with ATI, and which suttas are not available there?
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 28, 2004

                    I'm all for coordinated effort, although this is as rare as the rhinoceros' horn in
                    extra-academic Buddhist efforts.

                    The main problem is that each of us has our own style and purpose in Sutta
                    translation. Then there is also the problem of physical distance and familiarity of
                    one another.

                    Different styles of translations are also helpful in understanding difficult
                    passages. So diversity is not always a problem. The important thing is access to them
                    for the public.

                    Anyway we can all work towards some sort of common effort.

                    Sukhi

                    Piya.