Errors in PP key - Lesson 8

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 27, 2001
      Greetings,
      To all those on this list working on lesson 8 of the
      Pali Primer, I have found the following 2 errors in
      the answer key:

      Translate into Pali
      2. The wicked man breaks leaves from the tree.
      Key says: Asappuriso rukkhasmaa pa.n.naani chindati.
      I believe this is a typo and bhindati (breaks) should
      be used instead of chindati (cuts).

      14. The merchant puts fish in baskets.
      Key says: Vaa.nijo pi.takesu macche pakkhipati.
      The chapter vocabulary lists nikkhipati as the word
      for puts, and pakkhipati is not introduced until
      lesson 18. I checked the dictionary and it seems that
      nikkhipati has more the sense of puts down, discards
      ("ni" being a prefix with a downward meaning), whereas
      pakkhipati means puts, places, deposits. Thus
      pakhipati appears to be a better answer for this
      question, but is inconsistent with the material
      introduced in the Primer.

      All the best,
      John Kelly

      http://phone.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2001
        Hi John, thanks, that's useful when I worked through Lesson 8.

        metta,
        yp.