Re: [Pali] Re: Pre-Christian christening

  • Gunnar Gällmo
    Message 1 of 8 , May 16, 2004
      --- John Kelly <palistudent@...> skrev: > Good
      question, Gunnar.
      > However, Rett has already answered for me. I was
      > using the word in
      > the English sense just of "naming", not "baptising".
      >
      > Metta, John

      Well, I suppose I am stamped by my uppbringing. I am
      the apostate son of a Protestant clergyman (first
      Methodist, then Lutheran), and my late father never
      missed an opportunity to point out that
      baptism/christening has absolutely nothing to do with
      name-giving. When a child is baptized, its name is
      told - not given.

      The reason he had to point this out so often is, of
      course, that it is a very common misunderstanding;
      nevertheless, a misunderstanding it is, and in this
      text, "christening" could easily be replaced with
      "name-giving".

      Gunnar

      =====
      gunnargallmo@...