Re: [Pali] anguttara 1.5.7

    Message 1 of 8 , May 16 5:35 AM
      Dear John,

      PED has given various usages of the suffix -jaata. Here, in sense, I
      think -jaata
      refers of something like "generation or type". The suffix could also be
      rendered as
      "true", that is "of all true trees" but I think it is a little
      stretched. The sense
      I think is a reference to "all trees".

      I think this is Pali idiom. It can be left untranslated without any loss
      of sense in
      the English.

      The "issa" of "issa,phandana" is a very interesting word. By itself it
      has different
      meanings (see Cone). But see CPD "issa-phandanaa" where it the
      expression seems to
      be found only in Jaataka 475 "The Lion and the Phandana tree" (where WHD
      Rouse
      translates phandana as "Plassey tree" = palaa.sa. Butea frondosa (J
      475). I am
      unable to trace any references to "the antelope (or the bear) and the
      phandana"
      (which could be a story in the Pancatantra if we follow DhA 1.4/1:50
      where the
      variant reading accha,phandana for issa,phandana appears). I do not have
      the
      Pancatantra (though I have read some of the stories in children's
      books.)

      Sukhi

      Piya