Re: [Pali] Re: The Atthakatthas

  • nina van gorkom
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2004
      Dear Kalki,
      op 29-04-2004 18:36 schreef kalki_knight op kalki_knight@...:

      > Hi Nina, yes, i'd really appreciate it if you could post some of
      > those verses you have translated of the Atthakatha. Thank you in
      > advance. Best Regards.

      N:thanks for your interest. If you care to react, or if you want more
      verses, please write after eight days, because I go away for a week now.

      I select the first verse in the Co to the Mahaaraahulovaadasutta. As said, I
      am just too glad to be corrected.
      The context: Rahula was very much attached to the splendour of the
      Enlightened One's body and to his own body. The text states:
      After the Buddha had seen this, he considered: ³Rahula who is my son, walks
      behind me, thinking, ŒI am handsome, my complexion is fair¹,
      and worldly desire because of his bodily appearance has arisen in him.
      He rejoices in what is unsuitable, he is following the wrong way and is
      erring.
      Just like someone who is exceedingly led astray, he goes into the wrong
      direction where he should not go.
      Since his defilements are increasing within him, he does not see as it truly
      is his own benefit, the benefit of someone else nor the benefit of both
      himself and someone else.
      Therefore, this will take him to rebirth in a hell plane, in the animal
      world,
      in the ghost plane, or in the confined condition of the mother¹s womb.
      It will make him fall down in the cycle of birth and death, without
      beginning or end.>
      Then follows the verse:

      aya~nhi --
      This is the saying:

      anatthajanano lobho, lobho cittappakopano.
      Desire leads to harm, it agitates the mind,

      bhayamantarato jaata.m, ta.m jano naavabujjhati.
      peril occurs within, but people do not understand this.

      luddho attha.m na jaanaati, luddho dhamma.m na passati.
      The person with desire does not know cause and effect. *

      andhatama.m tadaa hoti, ya.m lobho sahate nara.m.. (itivu 88) --
      There is dense darkness when desire overwhelms people.
      ____
      ** the person with attachment does not understand the cause (dhamma as
      cause, hetu) of dukkha, which is craving, nor the effect (attha) which is
      dukkha. He does not understand the noble Truths and thus there will not be
      the cessation of dukkha.
      ********