Re: Hatthiraajaa

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 26, 2004
      Dear John, Gunnar, Piya, Rett and friends,

      Gunnar is right that elephants follow a matriarchial family
      structure. The head of a family is usually the oldest female. This
      structure can be traced back to the mammoths of the recent ice age
      some 20,000 years ago. Elephants are highly sociable animals, they
      stay by the side of the dying and even mourn for the dead.
      http://www.animalsentience.com/features/elephants_mourning_their_falle
      n.htm

      However, the 'herd' in this sutta may not refer to a family, but a
      group, clan or population, all at a higher hierarchy than a family.
      So, Piya is right that it's probably not a mistake. Adult males
      either travel alone or in small groups, but usually within
      the "activity radius" of a clan or population.
      http://www.elephantvoices.org/why/frameset_why.html?
      http://www.elephantvoices.org/why/main_why1.html

      As for the "hot water" episode, well, I have to say that we are no
      fundamentalists, and may have to understand it in the most sensible
      way. :-)

      metta,
      Yong Peng

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, rett wrote:
      It's kind of a moot point, since the story also says that the
      elephant prepared hot water, which puts the story pretty firmly into
      the category of edifying fiction.